Setting oil slicks on fire with torches

Rubicon83

No. A bandit did not walk safely through the flames. I meant that the fire damage effect normally applied to weapons which causes targets to be on fire for a short duration did not work when I applied it to the modified torch as weapon.

I think what it might need is a real weapon duplicated with it's texture turned transparent and the modified torch mesh placed inside/around.

No. A bandit did not walk safely through the flames. I meant that the fire damage effect normally applied to weapons which causes targets to be on fire for a short duration did not work when I applied it to the modified torch as weapon.

I think what it might need is a real weapon duplicated with it's texture turned transparent and the modified torch mesh placed inside/around.

Oh sorry, now i get it. ^^

• 1 year later...

I managed to turn the torch into dual wielded weapons (sounded like an ancient nord sword tho). Unfortunately, no amount of hitting could get the oil to light. I even tried attaching effects to the torch weapon, no go.

But when set up as a weapon, the flame stayed on when dropped (but it also stayed on when sheathed). At least having the torch as a weapon would allow you to realistically drop it into the oil. Or drop it at a safe distance and use telekinesis to put it in the oil. :tongue:

I see :O .. but i guess unequipping the torch is more realistic than sheathing it in the first place. ^^ So as for realism, that doesn't sound too bad actually. :smile:

Is this something we can use? Put out on the nexus? :smile:

Understand that i would be very happy if you did. ^^

Probably not safely... I am no expert when it comes to meshes. I have no idea what all should really be modified to switch it from light mesh to weapon mesh. It worked but I have no idea about long term stability. There would also need to be scripting involved to swap the light torch for the weapon torch. Not to mention that when the fire damage effect was applied, it did not do any fire damage to a test bandit that was consoled in.

You mean a bandit walked safely through the flames? :O well... that just takes the reason for lighting oil slicks away in the first place. :sad:

This is still something that would be an awesome detail :D I mean ... the torches are burning with fire... there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to set the oil slicks aflame. ^^

And .... you can do that? ;) ...

• 1 year later...

The torches are already on the form list for activating the oil pools via OnHit event. However, torches can only be equipped in the left hand and when "swung" they only block. You can never hit an oil pool in that manner. If you add the torch to the form list for OnEnter event, you can drop a torch and it will ignite the oil pool. However, when dropped torches do not have any light so that blows realism out the window.

Anyway, the form list for the OnEnter event is: TrapGasOnEnter

O-kay! Very glad I found this page. The Mod "Equipping Overhaul" -a fantastic mod- has a "drop torch" hotkey, that also keeps the torches lit so you can use them to light the way while fighting in the dark- anyway.

I can confirm that the TES5Edit thing described above works great, and with Equipping Overhaul it blends seamlessly into the game. You can drop an equipped torch on-the-fly with the hotkey, it'll stay lit and it'll set the oil slick on fire! (And also the oil slick has an explosive property and will make the torch blast off again. *ting!)

Yay! Anyway. Torch bashing doesn't work. I think it's to do with the ground not registering the hit. Placed objects, and structure seem to register the hit, but the ground and some other elements - like the mammoth corpse in the cave I was in - don't. No idea how complicated it would be to make the ground hittable, but I don't think it's needed.

I would make a collision-box/Trigger box above the oil just high enough that you are able to block with the torch and the torch will enter that collision box than you can attach a trigger script similar to the gas trap that will set of any attached child oil and boom - would also work if you drop an torch in it.

the disadvantage you have to manual add this trigger box to all oil spills in game and attach the oil meshes to it.

Edited by crazylion