(Very desperate) Can't change race without game crash

HA! HA! HAAA!!!!!!! YES!!!!! I FINALLY figured it out!!! I made it out to be much more complicated than it actually was. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner! Then again, my one blind spot is UNDER MY NOSE. I had "I Dream Of Electric Sheep" installed and my character had the cyborg eye perk which caused the game to crash when I changed my race. The solution was so simple. I just unselected the "I Dream Of Electric Sheep" plugin and that fixed it!

Wow. All that time I wasted getting so frustrated. CURSE YOU MY ONE BLIND SPOT!!!!!

• 3 years later...

Please note the date of the previous post, and see the Nexus "Terms of Service" about not resurrecting old threads.

Please see the 'Issue: Body Replacer - Custom Hair, Eyes, Heads, and/or Races' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

If that doesn't help, we REALLY need to see your sorted "load order" as produced by LOOT; to include the main game and DLC files. With modded games, its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. Instructions are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. But you should create your own thread in the "Technical support" sub-forum with that.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 6 months later...

I was having the same problem using FO3Edit. I had changed her hair and eyes to custom. When I changed her race, the game crashed every time I would load the save.

I changed the eyes and hair to defaults and changed her race in FO3Edit and saved the esp. I tried the game again. The save opened without a problem. I created a new save, then went back and changed her eyes and hair again.

I posted this so that if anyone else is using FO3Edit and has this problem, maybe this will help!