The Master Of Zooz

Malchik

Baba called Gnaag to the corner table where he was sitting.

When they were alone he turned to the boy and said;

”Gnaag, I would rather die than have anything happen to you. The truth of the matter is, I have failed in the past, in protecting those who trusted me, and I’m not sure I want to go through that again, in my life time.

The time has come, for you to choose what you would like to do with the rest of your life. It is my suggestion that, once you have decided, you find yourself a teacher in the line you have chosen.

If you wish you learn the way of the Adventuring/Shaman, I will take you as my apprentice, gladly. If you wish to become a Hunter/Tracker, I will speak with Kalmer, on your behalf. If you wish to become a Mage, .................don’t be to quick to say never,................

I will speak with Sael, about your becoming his apprentice. He will join us as soon as he has fulfilled his other obligations, and you will see that not all mages are bad people. He is probably the kindest and most honorable person you will ever meet. If you choose the profession of thief, I can recommend no other than our very own T’Skar. And as fighters go in spite of her young age, you could do a lot worse than Ara as Master. Think on this as we prepare to start our travels. Now run along boy, and get ready. We’ll be leaving soon. :)

(These conversations are only heard by the person I am addressing.)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next Baba calls Kalmer to him.

Would you please take care of our pack two horses as well? I’d do it but the horses smell @#%$&$@*# on me and gets all jittery. Anyway, you are probably better at caring for horses than the rest of us put together.

Maybe you can ask Gnaag to help. He seems a little lost as to why he’s here, and I don’t want to teach him about fate just yet. Let him be the little boy he never had a chance to be when he really was young.

The weight of responsibility will come soon enough. :blush:

Could you call T’Skar for me, please.

T’Skar sits down at the table and looks at Baba.

T’Skar, I don’t know how to say this, so....................................

I need you.

No, not like that!

I don’t trust people in general and this time my gut feeling is that there is something wrong.

Like Gnaag, I don’t trust Mages normally, but I trust bureaucrats even less.

What I need from you is to watch my back.

Can I count on you? :(

OOC> Okay let's get this show on the road.

Bharat calls you over to wish you good luck. "I will furnish adequate funds to pay for your passage to Golconar. Some other city governers can be trusted to help too; Metvet in Antinapura, Ellora in Veejani for certain and probably Ayala in Golconar although she plays her cards very close to her chest. I would be particularly wary of Idris in Jangli and Kankrat Shiitole in Pellaret should you need to go there. The others I know little about. Hadrap in Dohoti is a man who keeps himself to himself. Unless you really need his help I would avoid him."

And then you are off.

The camel train to Dohoti is slow and hot and those not accustomed to riding suffer blisters in embarrassing places and a general feeling of sea-sickness. (Not for nothing is the camel known as the ship of the desert.) The landscape, sandy nothingness punctuated by the odd oasis is nothing to command attention.

Then on the horizon you see the walls of Dohoti. They are two storeys in height, thick, black and forbidding.

The driver of the camel train, seeing your rather apprehensive glances says: "Yes, Dohoti is a strange place and full of unfriendly people. Still, when you are permanently at war with sand, it tends to focus the mind narrowly. Is there any particular thing I can help you with before you go in?"

Mandrake who was the entire trip busy with drawing out their route and practecing whith is guitar, he became rather good at a horse with no name. asks if he could look in a map or get a quick discreption so that he could quickly scetch one.

Whilst on the journey to Dohoti, Baba had cornered Tiax by himself.

Tiax, I have never liked You Mages, with your holier than thou attitudes. We have been chosen to complete this task, and as such I will work with you. It does not mean that I have to like you or even put up with your attitude.

Lay off the boy if you value your life.

Without waiting for a reply, Baba had turned on his heal and walked away. >:(

Camel driver, is there anything you can tell us about Dohoti.

The hierarchy, who’s in charge.

Customs we should be aware of so as to not offend the Inhabitants.

Dress codes and the likes.

Really, any information you could give us would be appreciated.

Baba slips the driver a Gold piece. ;)

With baba's .. erhm conversation still in mind.. Tiax wisphers;"Likewise........ likewise..."

Kalmer spends the whole journey as his ususal self: keeping himself to himself, silent and observant.

Kyah and Bil - for that, it seems Kalmer has seen fit to call the pack-horse - appear to have struck up a friendly relationship. Bil is the name of a young foal, the favourite of Kalmer's daughter, Keowen back home in Neomer's March. Kalmer feels unusually sentimental, heading into the unknown, so far from his loved ones, unable to protect them, and yet that it precisely why he is here.

He turns his head towards Gnaag, who is riding on a camel almost alongside Kyah, just a little further behind.

"Bil here will be needing some attention when we arrive at Dohoti, young Niyobian. And Kyah is a most independent beast, but requires a very special attention indeed. What say you lend a hand and look after him?"

Bil makes an abrupt sniffing sound and a kind of nodding movement with his head. "See? He seems to like you!" Said Kalmer, actually smiling for the first time since meeting his new companions.

"Oh, don't worry, I shall be at hand to help out whenever you need, and Bil is a worthy companion indeed. He may not be a pure-breed Tagfierian stallion like Kyah, but that means he will be easier to handle, and he is good-hearted and strong. What say you?"

Ara muttered to herself as she rode on. She was sweaty, hot and dusty. Wearing both her armor and a robe to cover it, Ara was almost ready to submit to heat stroke. Unused to riding the camels she winced in pain as her thighs rubbed for what had to be the millionth time against her sharp armor. She was going to have a few ugly blisters when the ride finally ended. Periodically, Ara sent Aena up in the skies to check their surroundings. Finally, after what seemed like countless hours, the walls of Dohoti rose in the distance.

Finally.

Hearing behind her Kalmer's request of Gnaag, she turned around and despite her pain, she laughed.

"Is Gnaag our traveling caretaker of animals then?"

She pulled her new bow off of the camel's side. It was going to be hard to hide it from view. It would not fit on her back without making some kind of lump. She would make do...but.... She would have to ask sometime before they actually started to assume that she knew how to use it. Summoning up her courage she shouted at Baba ahead of her.

"Hey...Baba? I see you're quite proficient in um...archery. Would you mind uh... perhaps teaching me some techniques? I mean if you don't want too it's fine. It's just that... uh..." Ara felt her face flush. "I uh... could be um.... a little better."

The driver of the camel train scratches his head. To Mandrake he says "Maps of Dohoti? Shouldn't think anyone could make one of them. It's the honeycomb you see. Apart from that there is just the one main street stretching from the South Gate here to the Water Gate in the north. Everything but the docks and the Jade Temple are within the walls. Those other two are north of the Water Gate."

He turns to Baba-John.

"I'm from Papred myself so I don't know Dohoti like a native and, as you'll discover for yourself, they are not an easy people to know. The Governor's name is Hadrap but I've never seen him. His residence and all government offices are by the Water Gate. The road that connects the gates is called Well Walk, though I have never seen a well there. Anyway it has all the buildings of importance, city temple, city museum, archives, major lodging houses, shops, dwellings of the wealthy and so on."

You are now very close to the gate.

"Dohoti is the smallest city in Bashkher with just under one million people at the last census. They all live inside the walls. The walls were built millennia ago when the city was only 100,000 souls. That is the reason for the Honeycomb. I can't describe it, just turn off Well Walk either right or left and you can't miss it. You'll understand then what I mean about maps. One of the reasons we arrive in the morning is that for those who don't know Dohoti it is not a good place to explore by night. It is not unsafe as parts of Papred are because of rascals. You'll see what I mean when you arrive."

He stops before the huge black painted gate.

"I don't think there are specific customs I am aware of nor is there a dress code. But..." He glances at Ara (and anyone else displaying a weapon). "You may not carry weapons in the honeycomb. The guards use their own and they are tipped with a poison that causes even the most vicious thug to drop unconscious. If you intend to visit leave it in your lodging. On Well Walk they won't care as there are many guards for travelling merchants. The same is true around the docks. Dohoti is not much of a place for tourism. Apart from the Jade Temple some come to see the Sword of Zooz in the city museum. There is rumoured to be a second one in another museum too but... And that's it. Anyway, good luck to you."

Th guards at the gate wave you through.

You are facing a relatively short straight road lined with buildings. Those nearest to you - a lodging house called The Windbreak' and a clothing shop are very run down and faded. The buildings seem to get larger away from the gate. It is mid morning. There are relatively few people around in the street. A woman is walking towards the shop, a man is lounging in the door of the lodging house. A small child is washing the step of a rather scruffy dwelling house next to the shop.

Archived