Can't figure out for the life of me how to go about trying to save my mod dependent saves

kookiish

Ok, so I've been trying to figure out this stuff for the last few days. I recently started playing Skyrim again after about a year of not playing. I started a new character and installed a few more mods, and my game began crashing to desktop, freezing, infinite loading screens, etc. I am not a modder and I understand very little about the inner workings of mods. I use LOOT, I've used TES5 Edit. Though I'm not very computer savvy, I can usually solve things by just following instructions.

I'm completely lost and extremely frustrated. I was an idiot and I disabled a bunch of mods despite my save files depending on them. Now I have a bunch of corrupted saves. I haven't played my highest level character since before my game butchering and I am hoping to save its files.

I need help and I would really appreciate any type of instruction, preferably simplified, about how and if I can go about this. Lastly, condescending and rude remarks about my inexperience and mistakes are not appreciated, as I know I screwed stuff up and I'm not an imbecile, I'm just not learned in the arts of modding and programming. I just want to play Skyrim, preferably not lose my favorite character, and fix what I've done.

Thank you.

Edited by kookiish

I've uninstalled Skyrim, deleted its folder from both Program Files and Documents. Please tell me what to do, how to get everything fixed, how to start over, and how to recover (if I can) my saves.

Edited by kookiish

That's why you should always make backups of everything important, like used mods, saves, etc :smile: bookmarks to the nexus page of used mods really come in handy too

If you are using the NMM you can create your own categories, where you sort your mods to your liking. E.G. "All chars", "just char 1", or something like that, but that's all something you should remember in the future (which starts now).

As for your current problem, good thing you've moved skyrim out of your C drive, that will save you some trouble. But to make it right, use steam/your dvd setup. If you just move it somewhere else the system won't recognise the change, which is bad.

After you did that, including the DLCs you should install a mod manager of your choice (NMM or MO, or one of the other(s) I just forgot about). After that the SKSE, followed by your standard mods, if you have any. Like unofficial patches, SkyUI, immersive stuff, fixes, enhancements, whatever you have definetly used while you played. After that.. well, hard to tell with the given informations. Most mods won't break your save if you continue it without them, but there are exceptions. Basicly you have to try and remember what your standards were and after that it's trial&error.

Oh, and get some sleep/do something else in between, sometimes this stuff can be a bit frustrating and at that point you start to oversee the obvious sometimes ;) (yes, I know that from experience :blush: )

Edited by Xelan255

I've been installing it through Steam. The only two installation locations are C: and D:. My C drive is the only drive with enough memory. My D drive is the Recovery Image drive and it has no space.

I use NMM, SKSE, etc. I really need help with recovering my old saves.

Edited by kookiish

Well, you can try these two:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724/?tab=1

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?tab=1

If they can get the job done? IDK, you have to try

this little guy may also help, if you install it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46465/?

In any case: backup your saves, if you haven't done it already. if you do so, it can only get better

IF you have your Saves......both Mod Orginizer (MO) AND Wrye Bash can help you find what mods the saves are dependent on.

In MO you click the Save...the Pop-up lists all mods that were active when the save was created....

In Wrye bash , on the saves tab you can right click a save and "List Masters" this will give you a list of all mods the save requires...

IF you did not back up your saves and have deleted the MY Docs \ Skyrim Folder...Look in the recycle bin for the saves...barring that a HDD rescue could do it, i have never done it. and don't know how...

Good luck.