Okay, so...complicated problem. (Games not loading, SKSE, BSoD)

Alkeni

Summary: Uhm...my games are not loading and I think previous BSoDs are to blame for why Skyrim isn't working.

I'm sorry if this question has somehow been answered, but I have not been able to find anyone having this problem on any site. Perhaps my searching methods are flawed or I'm not understanding my problem enough to generalize it properly.

So, here's the deal: I got a new computer about a month ago. One that can run Skyrim at better graphics quality (my last one could only do Low and even that badly). This one does Medium and runs smoothly. I installed Skyrim about...5 days ago. I put in a bundle of mods, including SKSE. They seemed to be working, and several of them (SKSE inc.) were all ones that had worked on my last computer, no problem. Then, just two days ago, I get my first ever Blue Screen of Death while I'm in the middle of playing Skyrim (DPC Watchdog Violation). In three laptops over the last five and a half years, and one desktop for like five+ years before that, I've never gotten a bluescreen of death. But, whatever, so I restart computer, search the error, find a solution (updating drivers) and socket the solution away for the moment - I don't want to deal with it just yet, and I am not tech savvy enough to figure out what exact driver update I'm supposed to get just yet (I planned on consulting my more tech savy Significant other).

Anyway, so, I start up skyrim (though SKSE) and...my saved games won't load. They start loading - and give me a loading screen for 5+ minutes...then Skyrim crashes. This happened consistently, time and again. Saves across space and time. Finally I just give up for the night and go to bed. The next day, I try it again. After some trial and error, I hit on what seems like a solution - I got rid of almost all my mods, didn't run SKSE and just opened through Steam. And lo and behold, the game works enough for me to start a brand new character (the old saves seem irretrievable.) s*** happens. I'd really like SKSE and the SKSE needing mods (and I'd planned on adding a few more), but Skyrim with the unofficial patches is plenty for now. So I start a new char, and I'm playing basically all yesterday, and suddenly, just about...45 minutes ago, I get the DPC Watchdog Violation BSoD again. Well, s***. So, I start up again, download the driver update (the one my tech savvy S/o figured out was the update I needed) install it, restart, and get ready to play Skyrim again....

And...still not running through SKSE, and I get that endless load screen and It crashes....

So....what the hell is going on? I can only imagine somehow the BSoDs happening while I'm playing is what is screwing up my ability to play Skyrim in any form...and...I'd like to play Skyrim. At bare minimum, without any mods (even the unofficial patches), preferably with some non SKSE mods and the unofficial patches, and ideally allowing me to run SKSE and other SKSE using mods.

Help? Please? I mean- I get that this is a long, maybe rambling post but...

Help?

Edited by Alkeni

If you have the BSoD fixed try verifying your cache.https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Install the unofficial patches.Then start a new game and play long enough to make sure you'll not crash.

Before playing with mods installed download Loot ( http://loot.github.io/ ) and install it.Add your mods,not too many,and run Loot.

Edited by gandalftw

I would think the DPC Watchdog error is more serious for your computer than Skyrim crashing. A lot of info on that error concerns SSD's and HDD's, or hardware and hardware drivers in general. Google will return a lot of info on that error.

You might try looking at Event Viewer and seeing if any particular errors are proceeding your crashes or have just recently started logging; might give a suspect device. If its a new computer, make sure you comply with warranty requirements before trying any "fixes".

Edited by Lord Garon

The Blue Screen wasn't caused by Skyrim, I'm well aware of that. But after it happened, SKSE suddenly stopped working. Whereas before it had no problems at all.

The BSoD issue is resolved now that I've updated my drivers. What the problem is that SKSE isn't letting me load any games - it just crashes Skyrim after sticking me with a 5+ minute loading screen.

Your not understanding this,

SKSE is not causing a problem unless you have somehow corrupted your SKSE.

Blue Screen Problems are more often a sign of serious computer fail related issues, this isn't even the place I would come to for serious advice on this. We're talking potentially hardware failure and hopefully its just bad programs or drivers that need updating but its more likely something like a faulty piece of hardware.

But hey man if its Blue Screen and stuff I wouldn't even use a modded game as a benchmark for testing out stuff.

Blue screens can come from a variety of things,,, I had a consistent Blue screen, coming out of sleep state....turned out to be the Mouse driver.

As stated, you think the Blue screen is fixed. During the Blue screen happening, it could very well have corrupted a SKSE file or 2...REinstall SKSE to see it you can get it working again.

@Alkeni

Hehe,Ever feel like you're not being listened to?Appears everyone wants to ignore your comments that the BSoD's have been dealt with.I wonder why?

We humans are so fascinating.

So very simple,if you haven't already, just start over reinstall everything,use Loot and tes5edit and i'm so sorry that people felt the need to call you dude. :p