NPC archery and encumbrance

Amessagetoyou

Hello everyone,

I have discovered a weird situation.

I spotted a NPC around Vilverin from far away across a river (enough for them to not notice me unless I attack them)

When I attacked her with a bow she drew her bow but instead of shooting back she just stared at me from far away. If I came closer to her she would start shooting back.

There are 2 problems with this situation:

1) Why is there a limit for NPCs to shoot arrow even if it is perfectly possible?

2) She could have just swum across the river and got to an "acceptable" distance but she didn't even do that.

Is there any mod that affects these issues?

3) I have also discovered that if I "damage strength" someone with a certain encumbrance enough for them to be unable to move, they will be "magically" able to move if I reload the game (though their strength is at 0 but their encumbrance has also become zero even though they are carrying all their equipment.

It looks like something is "forcing" all actors to be able to move after a reload.

What could be done to fix this?

Thanks to everyone :blush:

Edited by Amessagetoyou

i guess npcs are not so bright :laugh:

these informations and behaviours are are set in their combatstyle

you can change them through cs (its on miscellaneous)

for example the Rangedstandoffdistance of the deafaultarcher combatstyle is set to 500

some decisions are calculated by chances ,so there is a 25% to do this etc

for example the Rangedstandoffdistance of the deafaultarcher combatstyle is set to 500

Thanks a lot man :smile: I'll give that a try.

I'm using a mod that speeds arrows by 386% so do you think there is any mathematical way to determine by what margin to increase it so they are able to shoot me from the maximum distance possible? I really like far away archer fights :D

Edited by Amessagetoyou

I'm pretty sure as kastano mentioned, all you have to do is edit the combat style. Though, you might have to adjust more than one of them, as some NPCs equipped with a bow may be using a different combat style.

I don't think the arrow speed mod should affect NPC behavior unless otherwise mentioned.

I believe the value you want to change is Range Mult (max), as changing the RangedStandOffDistance, makes NPCs keep more distance, and not necessarily fire from it. I will test this to make sure. Making Range Mult (max) higher should make them fire from a further maximum distance.

I don't believe that there is a random chance for ranged combat, only melee and maneuver (dodge). But I could be wrong, as I don't quite remember NPC behavior with bows: whether they keep on shooting or sometimes stop and take a quick break.

a lot of "I think"s and "I believe"s in my post. :laugh: I just want to make sure I don't give you possibly false information as fact.

UPDATE..........

-Ranged NPCs will rest sometimes.

-Also, in the gameplay settings tab in Construction Set, there is a sever behavior penalty for NPCs that are not fish to swim or wade in the water.

This will help you: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Combat_Style

Edited by unknownhero2827

I'm pretty sure as kastano mentioned, all you have to do is edit the combat style. Though, you might have to adjust more than one of them, as some NPCs equipped with a bow may be using a different combat style.

I don't think the arrow speed mod should affect NPC behavior unless otherwise mentioned.

I believe the value you want to change is Range Mult (max), as changing the RangedStandOffDistance, makes NPCs keep more distance, and not necessarily fire from it. I will test this to make sure. Making Range Mult (max) higher should make them fire from a further maximum distance.

I don't believe that there is a random chance for ranged combat, only melee and maneuver (dodge). But I could be wrong, as I don't quite remember NPC behavior with bows: whether they keep on shooting or sometimes stop and take a quick break.

a lot of "I think"s and "I believe"s in my post. :laugh: I just want to make sure I don't give you possibly false information as fact.

UPDATE..........

-Ranged NPCs will rest sometimes.

-Also, in the gameplay settings tab in Construction Set, there is a sever behavior penalty for NPCs that are not fish to swim or wade in the water.

This will help you: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Combat_Style

Thanks a lot for an informative post :)

My only concern is by how much should I increase that value.

Because there is distance beyond which it is impossible to shoot arrows back and forth let alone see each other.

How would I determine that?

Trial and Error probably, unless someone else can give you an answer. You could, for instance, find that river again and try to get that NPC to return fire till you're satisfied with the distance. So, if the value is set to 1 (2000) right now, just try 1.5 (3000).

I'm not sure if NPCs can arc their shots. That might be a limitation to how far they can hit you from, though the mod you use that increases arrow speed would probably help counter this.

Trial and Error probably, unless someone else can give you an answer. You could, for instance, find that river again and try to get that NPC to return fire till you're satisfied with the distance. So, if the value is set to 1 (2000) right now, just try 1.5 (3000).

I'm not sure if NPCs can arc their shots. That might be a limitation to how far they can hit you from, though the mod you use that increases arrow speed would probably help counter this.

That's what I was probably going to do, thanks a lot :wink:

Do you have any thoughts on the second part of this thread by the way? :D

Edited by Amessagetoyou

I wouldn't know about how to fix the second part. My guess is that it's a bug in Vanilla. I think there are other bugs, too, that can occur upon reloading a game.

Well, I figured that, what is strange is that how a game engine fails at a single formula: if encumbrance > strength * 5 then stop moving :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to bother you again.

But can you give a little more detail regarding changing the rangedstandoffdistance?

I rarely use Construction set :)