Introducing "The Shire" A Skyrim Mod

TheBawb

Decided to see what you guys would like most out of this mod, just to see where I should put the majority of my time  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What should the primary focus of this mod be?

• Detailed Landscapes, I want to run and skip among the daisies of the shire.
    • Immersive NPCs, I want the Halflings of the shire to have plenty of dialogue and backstories, maybe even a few quest aware followers.
    • A cozy player home, I want to be able to relax in a comfortable Halfling hole after a long day of adventures.
    • Detailed Landmarks, I want the Locations in the shire to look beautiful.
    • Plenty of books, who doesn't like a good story? I want the lore of the shire to be it's biggest focus.
    • Multiple Quests, just walking around is boring, I want to go on adventures!
    • Enemies, I don't want to sightsee, I just gotta kill something.
    • New meshes/Textures, the Shire is a completely different world, it should look different as well

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome work! You're a great landscaper and level designer. And more.

Should come work on Beyond Skyrim. :tongue:

Thanks Matthias,

I'll admit I've thought about working on Beyond Skyrim a bit, but I don't know how I'd fit it into my schedule. If I had enough time to work on both projects I probably would :)

Awesome work! You're a great landscaper and level designer. And more.

Should come work on Beyond Skyrim. :tongue:

Thanks Matthias,

I'll admit I've thought about working on Beyond Skyrim a bit, but I don't know how I'd fit it into my schedule. If I had enough time to work on both projects I probably would :)

You get a claim and work on it when you have time. They understand everyone must volunteer and has RL.

If you're interested, head over to DC and apply with some screenshots or a link to this thread. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

New update!

The Dwarven Hall in Needle Eye is the only permanent living quarters for the Dwarves in the shire. But that doesn't mean it isn't as grand as the buildings they've built in other parts of Middle Nirn. It is the prime location to shop, drink or sell anything Dwarven.
(Yes I'm aware the banners are Gundarian, I haven't gotten around to changing them yet)

http://static-6.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/7186659-1426952472.jpg

Fun Fact: The Barg End exterior was the first building designed in my "shire" mod, this would have been back in 2013. Since it's initial design, I've completely removed and remade this building six times. Whether it be because it was in the wrong location, looked plain ugly, I got new and better meshes, or I felt it didn't match the lore well enough. The "Before" image is the third attempt at Barg End, whereas the "After" is Barg End in it's current state. This is still WiP, and yes I am considering remaking it again :D

http://static-7.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/7186659-1426951920.jpg

This is just something I did when I was bored. I wasn't initially going to use it, but after I kept adding on more details, I decided to use it anyway. Hope they have flooding insurance.

http://static-6.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/7186659-1426952766.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New update! :dance:

Beyond this gate lies the militarized Dwarven camp Phinglaid, to which many Doorfist Dwarves are intrenched. The Doorfists are an evil power-seeking clan that wish to conquer the shire and use it's strategic location to construct their empire. But lucky for the Halflings, they have not the manpower or supplies to do it, yet.

http://static-5.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/7186659-1428164959.jpg

I've placed far more Halfling holes than I can count, all across my custom worldspace. And while each isn't the same basic mesh, I try to make each one feel a little unique. I'll admit, After awhile I do begin to lose some ideas on how to accomplish this task, but I play around with various vanilla and custom meshes until it seems to fit. This is my personal favorite Halfling Hole so far.

http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/7186659-1428164479.jpg

There are many great fishing spots all over the shire, any pond or river will do, just cast your line and wait. But the settlement of Small Dolving is the largest exporter of fish and fishing supplies for miles. Many Fishers from the surrounding areas know this is the best place to catch, sell, or buy any type of fish or fishing supplies.

http://static-5.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/7186659-1428163637.jpg

I believe the home you remade a bunch - the before was spot on for vegetation, whereas the second is a bit barren of that. Regardless, I think it looks great.

I think a lot of the issue there is the angle of the shot. In the "before" I shot much closer to the home, and I angled the camera over the fence. In the "After" I wanted to include the stone fence far in front (A recent and very lore-accurate addition.) And so I think the distance and inability to see flora behind the fence may have made it look a bit barren.

Needless to say, I do see your point. I did remove some of the bigger vegetation near the front of the house in an attempt to reference the original Bag End in New Zealand. I'll see if re-adding it improves the overall look in game, as I admit it does look a bit empty.

Thanks for another helpful suggestion Matthias.

Edited by TheBawb

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update:

Yes, I too have come to state the position of my mod regarding the newest steam update for charging money on the steam workshop. This is mostly to end the numerous amount of messages/threats I've been receiving asking what our position was (Seriously guys, you can stop now)

The answer put simply is No. I do not feel I could charge anyone for my work. This project was started with one goal in mind, and that was to give anyone from anywhere the ability to live as a Halfling in the shire. Steam may have changed, but our goals and morals have not. This is why there are no requirements for the mod (aside from skyrim) we will not require money, any dlcs, or another mod to make this work. If I were in this to make money, I'd have taken my skills and time elsewhere.

To add onto this, there are also significant legal issues with charging for a mod of this type. With the resources/permissions etc used. So In conclusion, this will remain non-profit. Consider that a promise.

Hope that clears things up.

• 2 weeks later...