Oblivion No Weapon Sounds

HolyAtheist

Hello all, I'm experiencing a odd problem where no matter what weapon I use, even bare-handed, I can't seem to hear the sound of the weapons hitting enemies or making a impact on random objects. Every other sound in the game seems to work fine, sheathing as well works fine. Weather I'm in combat or not the weapon doesn't make any noise when impacting something and it's frustrating! :mad: . I have a integrated sound card on Windows 8 and have not changed any mods recently (besides a better cities update). This only occurred a day after receiving Razer Kraken headphones and it worked fine until today but I uninstalled the software driver for it and the problem still persists. I've tried deleting oblivion sounds.bsa and verifying game cache (steam version) but still it persist! Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you guys need extra info please ask, here's my load order just in case.

00 Oblivion.esm
01 Cobl Main.esm [Version 1.72]
02 All Natural Base.esm [Version 1.34]
03 Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm [Version 1.35Beta]
04 Better Cities Resources.esm [Version 5.5.3]
05 SettlementsOfCyrodiil.esm [Version 1.3]
06 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.4.5]
07 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
08 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]
09 UOPS Additional Changes.esp
0A DLCShiveringIsles.esp
0B Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.3]
++ USIPS Additional Changes.esp
** OMOBS_SI.esp [Version 2.0]
0C DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
0D DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.6]
0E DLCFrostcrag.esp
0F DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.8]
10 DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
11 DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.8]
12 DLCHorseArmor.esp
13 DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.8]
14 DLCOrrery.esp
15 DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]
16 DLCSpellTomes.esp
++ DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]
17 DLCThievesDen.esp
18 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.11]
19 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.11]
1A DLCVileLair.esp
1B DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9]
1C Cobl Glue.esp [Version 1.72]
1D Cobl Si.esp [Version 1.63]
1E All Natural - Real Lights.esp [Version 1.35]
1F All Natural.esp [Version 1.35]
20 All Natural - SI.esp [Version 1.35]
21 WindowLightingSystem.esp
22 Immersive Interiors.esp [Version 0.8.1]
23 Immersive Interiors - Landscape Addon.esp
24 Immersive Interiors - Bravil.esp [Version 2.01]
25 Enhanced Water v2.0 HD.esp
++ Enhanced Water v2.0 HD - SI Addon.esp [Version 0.2]
26 Grass Overhaul.esp
27 Enhanced Vegetation [150%].esp
28 MIS Low Wind.esp
29 MIS New Sounds Optional Part.esp
++ Louder Nirnoot.esp
++ Silverware.esp
++ Real Lava 1.3.esp
2A CET-Utility-Belt.esp
2B Safe Traveling NPC.esp
2C Tavern-Goers 2.esp
2D See You Sleep DLL.esp
2E See You Sleep DLL - DLCVileLair.esp
2F Ancient Ruins - Ayleid Edition.esp
30 Faregyl.esp [Version 2.0.11]
31 Dungeon Actors Have Torches 1.6 DT.esp
++ Better Unique Items.esp
32 Book Jackets Oblivion.esp
33 1em_Vilja.esp [Version 4.04]
34 ImprovedHomes.esp
35 Trade and Commerce.esp
36 Trade and Commerce Update.esp [Version 1.01]
37 LakesideHome.esp [Version 2.]
38 ViljainLakeside.esp
39 Castle Almgard V25.esp
3A EC Chambers 1.1.esp [Version 1.0]
3B WhiteRoseFarm.esp
3C WickmereFarm.esp
3D ClearwaterFarms.esp
3E EMBridgeHouse.esp
3F Lynges Unlimited Death Reload Time.esp
40 No Wait Regenerate.esp
41 GoldCoinBagger.esp
42 Crowded Cities 15.esp
43 Harvest [Flora].esp [Version 3.0.0]
++ Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.0.0]
44 Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp [Version 3.0.0]
++ Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp [Version 3.0.0]
45 Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp [Version 1.0]
46 Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp [Version 1.35Beta]
++ Cobl Tweaks.esp [Version 1.44]
47 OOO 1.32-Cobl.esp [Version 1.72]
++ Valuable Gems and Silverware v1.0.esp
48 Salmo the Baker, Cobl.esp [Version 3.08]
49 Knights.esp
4A Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1.3]
++ Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul - Knights of Nine.esp
4B SM Plugin Refurbish(Merged).esp [Version 1.30]
4C Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp
4D Alluring Wine Bottles.esp
4E Better Cities Full.esp [Version 5.5.3]
4F Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp [Version 5.5.2]
50 Better Imperial City.esp [Version 5.5.3]
51 Better Cities .esp
52 Better Cities - All Natural.esp [Version 5.5.0]
++ Better Cities - Vanilla Hair.esp
++ Better Cities - COBL.esp [Version 5.5.0]
53 Enhanced Economy.esp [Version 5.4.3]
54 Enhanced Economy - House prices.esp [Version 5.4.3]
55 Better Cities - House Price Patch.esp [Version 5.5.0]
56 Cava Obscura - Cyrodiil.esp
57 Cava Obscura - SI.esp
** Cava Obscura - Filter Patch For Mods.esp
** All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp [Version 1.35]
58 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Also I forgot to add, things I've tried:
1.Testing other games- sounds work fine
2.Defrag
3.Rebuild batch patch
4.Update Windows 8
5.Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have exactly the same problem like you. Don't know what is causing it, but it breaks the whole game experience completely. I have Windows 8.1 and integrated sound card as well. I believe it doesn't relate with your headphones, because i tried two different speaker sets and headphones and no change. I also tried disabling all the mods, deleting oblivion.ini, some oblivion.ini tweaks and and nothing seems to work. If you've found the solution please post it here, I hope that I don't have to reinstall whole game. I will post solution to this problem as soon as I find it.

Good news. The problem was caused by Oblivion Stutter Remover for me. I removed the mod (OBSE plugin - "sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover.dll" and "sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover.ini") and problem solved. Hope it helps you as well. GL

EDIT: If you still want to use OSR, use the 4.1.0 version this one works fine for me

Edited by Morokura

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you try changing the heap algorithm. I think someone (was it forli?) mentioned that it might have been an issue with how OSR was configured using the ini. I use OSR and have not had issues with weapon sounds. I think.

Edit: Could have been something other than heap algorithm, too, but I cannot remember at the moment. A little searching should do the trick.

Edit 2: See the OSR file comments section, that should have the solution now that I think of it. I think it was forli who posted the solution there a while ago... I think. o_O

Edit 3: This one:

Something I would like to report: using the latest version (4.1.37), I experienced the famous hit sound issue.

Surprisingly, disabling bHookCriticalSections didn't restore the hit sound.
After some tweaks I discovered my issue was caused by the iHeapAlgorithm setting. Algorithm 3 (SimpleHeap1) broke the sound; instead with algorithm 5 (ThreadHeap2) and 6 (ThreadHeap3) the hit sound is fine, with bHookCriticalSections still enabled. I didn't tried other algorithms.

So, sometimes the sound issue may not be bHookCriticalSections but iHeapAlgorithm.
I invite everyone to enable bHookCriticalSections and test all possible values for iHeapAlgorithm (expecially the SimpleHeap1) and find any possible cause.

bHookCriticalSections is very useful and disabling it makes OSR much less effective, so it may be worth to simply change heap algorithm to restore the hit sound.

In here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/109511-oblivion-stutter-remover/page-68

And also on the OSR file comments section if you want to see it that way: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/23208

Edited by Contrathetix

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try changing the heap algorithm. I think someone (was it forli?) mentioned that it might have been an issue with how OSR was configured using the ini. I use OSR and have not had issues with weapon sounds. I think.

Edit: Could have been something other than heap algorithm, too, but I cannot remember at the moment. A little searching should do the trick.

Edit 2: See the OSR file comments section, that should have the solution now that I think of it. I think it was forli who posted the solution there a while ago... I think. o_O

Edit 3: This one:

Something I would like to report: using the latest version (4.1.37), I experienced the famous hit sound issue.

Surprisingly, disabling bHookCriticalSections didn't restore the hit sound.

After some tweaks I discovered my issue was caused by the iHeapAlgorithm setting. Algorithm 3 (SimpleHeap1) broke the sound; instead with algorithm 5 (ThreadHeap2) and 6 (ThreadHeap3) the hit sound is fine, with bHookCriticalSections still enabled. I didn't tried other algorithms.

So, sometimes the sound issue may not be bHookCriticalSections but iHeapAlgorithm.

I invite everyone to enable bHookCriticalSections and test all possible values for iHeapAlgorithm (expecially the SimpleHeap1) and find any possible cause.

bHookCriticalSections is very useful and disabling it makes OSR much less effective, so it may be worth to simply change heap algorithm to restore the hit sound.

In here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/109511-oblivion-stutter-remover/page-68

And also on the OSR file comments section if you want to see it that way: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/23208

Disabling that variable did solve the issue for me, but leaving it enabled and changing those other variable to either 3,5 or 6 didn't work. Reverting to OSR version 4.1.0 also works as an alternative solution for me. You mention that OSR doesn't work as well with bHookCriticalSections so would it more effective to disable it or revert to 4.1.0?

Disabling that variable did solve the issue for me, but leaving it enabled and changing those other variable to either 3,5 or 6 didn't work. Reverting to OSR version 4.1.0 also works as an alternative solution for me. You mention that OSR doesn't work as well with bHookCriticalSections so would it more effective to disable it or revert to 4.1.0?

I quoted a post by another user (forli) who has looked into the issue - I did not say that myself. :thumbsup:

The funny thing is that I do not remember having any sound issues, so I cannot comment on that. Trying different settings for OSR and seeing how the game reacts has been the way I have done things, and it has been a bit random for me. Maybe if I have the time tonight, I will check if I also have that sound issue, since I have bHookCriticalSections turned on and I use the 4.1.37 version. This is interesting. Maybe I just have not noticed the issues, then. Odd.

Maybe you cold try asking on the OSR comments thread? If people with more knowledge on the matter check it more often.

Just for your info, I had this issue not long time ago, when removing the 'weOPS.dll' OBSE plugin. I also have the latest version of OSR, with bReplaceHeap = 0 and bHookCriticalSections = 1.