Overhauling Default Functionality

WraithFF

I would advise letting the game do anything it can do without scripts. Use scripts when there isn't already a built-in way of accomplishing what you want to accomplish. Yes, you could write a script that does the calculations and then adjusts melee damage appropriately based on actor values when the player equips a weapon with certain keywords, etc., and then undo all those changes when the player unequips that weapon, but why? You're putting in a lot of work for something that perks already do more efficiently, effectively, and reliably because that is exactly what they were built to do.

A few of these don't need papyrus or could be done in a more efficient manner. I'll go into more detail when I get home.

Its best not to jump straight to Papyrus.

Well, I'll be taking a look at what can be done without scripts for now, then. I'm also going to take a closer look at perks, like Lofgren suggested.

-

1. Can be done with Papyrus, I haven't touched scrolls, I didn't even knew they existed. Easily scripted.

2. After using the Scroll you can just use Papyrus to make it re-add the scroll to your inventory as many times as you want, it's flexible, just think.

3. Using the Event OnUpdate(), checking for keywords and using some commands I've never used, but I know they exist, you can do it for staffs you have equipped in either hands.

4. Don't know, never went there.

5. Possible through Papyrus, here you can find a list of all the conditions you can use: http://www.creationkit.com/Condition_Functions

6. Back to 3, you can edit how fast you want to recharge your staffs and so on.

"Can be done with Papyrus, I haven't touched scrolls, I didn't even knew they existed. Easily scripted. "

How would you go about scripting something like that then? Even if I knew how the script was done I still wouldn't know where to put it in order for it to run.

I'll hold off on "jumping straight into papyrus" until I know there's no other way of doing it.

You could conceivably script every spell onto a scroll using skse. I wouldn't recommend it because it would be more stable to simply create the scrolls in the creation kit. If you really, really want to be able to do this for every mod-added spell you could script that. If you're trying to create a mod that allows the crafting of scrolls from spells that the player knows, for example.

You could conceivably script every spell onto a scroll using skse. I wouldn't recommend it because it would be more stable to simply create the scrolls in the creation kit. If you really, really want to be able to do this for every mod-added spell you could script that. If you're trying to create a mod that allows the crafting of scrolls from spells that the player knows, for example.

Yes, something like that. I'd hate to manually go through every single spell in the game and make a scroll for each, I'd rather have it done automatically, that way it could possibly include spells added by other mods as well, but I'm not very familiar with creating new objects for the game using scripts. Is there a tutorial for how you would go about doing something like this that I could be linked to? (I'd search for a tutorial myself, but I'm not really sure what tutorial I'm searching for)