"Object Fade" Setting & Random Stuttering (on powerful PC)

njkilleen

I also have a 4790k + gtx970 and had the same stutter problem, and I used some of the tweaks in this thread and they reduced significantly the stuttering, but not completely. Then I thought to myself, when I had a 3.6 ghz cpu, and a 2gb 750ti, I barely had problems with stuttering with much the same mod set up. So why, with the new more powerful elements in my rig was this happening? I noticed the stutters would happen when elements loaded in the cell in the distance and today it hit me that back then I used some ini settings to counter this and I had forgotten to add them after a re-install. Go to http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48387/? and read all that he says, and add the tweaks best suited for your rig. I applied the settings closest to my specs and now the stuttering is not even noticeable, if at all there. Only pauses I still get is when I have multiple followers loading through a door at a time with aft but I can live with that.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, first post here.

I've been having this problem too, but it looks like it might've been a windows issue to an extent and not so much the game. I'm sure some of you have heard of the DX9 VRAM issue with windows where it's limited to 4gb, well I've just updated to a preview of windows where that limit has been removed and my stuttering has reduced greatly. I've gone from 4gb to 6gb, so for those that have a lot more available this might completely or almost completely fix things.

Have had to do hours of messing around tonight to get this preview of windows where the limit is removed, but it might have been worth it because it looks like I can now actually play with the Tamriel Reloaded texture packs that I think make the game look way better. I record videos here and there too, so any stutter at all renders my recording useless. Luckily I put together short clips at the moment so I can mostly get away with it, but the texture packs made things way worse and I've been playing vanilla lately to avoid the stutter. Am using Tamriel Reloaded Textures and Parallax at the moment and the stuttering seems to be almost gone though, so am off to get another reloaded pack for trees and see if it still works OK.

Anyway, check this thread for more : https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5825812-dx9-vram-has-been-fixed/

The windows updates should be out from tomorrow but it could take a while for them to reach all of us, you can mess around joining the windows insider program and then waiting for the updates to download and install if you want though. If the stuttering has been bugging any of you as much as it has me I guess you'll maybe do that!

Am currently using a.... *checks* "Windows Pro Insider Preview, version 1709." No idea if it's stable but if Skyrim works any future updates are getting turned off! I don't want my game messing with if it finally works with texture mods.

Edited by RobXau

Well it seems to have worked!

When you repeatedly try to fix problems like this and have no luck it seems hard to believe when it does actually get sorted, so am still in a state of disbelief really, but the increased VRAM actually appears to have made the game better with mods. I can now play with Tamriel Reloaded Textures and Parallax, Trees, Grasses Plants and Shrubs, (and it also seems to record without constant stutters using shadowplay) and the outside world looks so much better.

There's still some stutter here and there, but most of it looks like it's gone. For some of those with way more VRAM I'd guess the game will play more or less perfectly with this update. At least with regards to the stuttering anyway.

Edited by RobXau

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Reading trough this thread I recognized my own problems here.

Tried all suggestions to no avail.

Now I'm glad to read about the windows update which gonna solve 4GB vram limit issue.

But even before doing this I by accident stumbled on the fact that my windows in the power saving options was set to optimal.

If I was looking in the monitor software CPU-Z I saw my cpu was throttling between the 12 and 44 multiplier all the time.

When I changed the windows setting to "high performance" the throttling stopped and also the MACRO stutter in my skyrim.

I even maxed out the draw distance and run at 1440p and have also Realvision enb and experience no stutter.

Sorry but english is not my native

Edited by wernervsneo

• 9 months later...

Hello all,

Reading trough this thread I recognized my own problems here.

Tried all suggestions to no avail.

Now I'm glad to read about the windows update which gonna solve 4GB vram limit issue.

But even before doing this I by accident stumbled on the fact that my windows in the power saving options was set to optimal.

If I was looking in the monitor software CPU-Z I saw my cpu was throttling between the 12 and 44 multiplier all the time.

When I changed the windows setting to "high performance" the throttling stopped and also the MACRO stutter in my skyrim.

I even maxed out the draw distance and run at 1440p and have also Realvision enb and experience no stutter.

Sorry but english is not my native

Unbelievable. Here I am, in 2018, finally finding this fix. [email protected] // 32GB@2400 // 1060 6GB O/C. Unplayable lag in Markarth and Windhelm by the tree; <30FPS, yet 80FPS+ most everywhere else. I had a pretty good sense that it was CPU related. When logging CPU clocks in Skyrim, I would hardly ever see anything over 3.2Ghz. And most of the time it would sit around 1.4Ghz. Annoying energy-saving BS. Looking up at at the forge in Markarth went from 22FPS to 40FPS+. Thanks, bud!

• 1 year later...

2020 and I hate this issue

I did some uGrid fixes which seems to improve it, but only if I have distant object detail set on high. I have ENboost. My specs perform very well overall, I thought of upgrading my card initially but it seems it's more than enough... well except for skyrim, for that game my specs suck.

My specs are Ryzen 5 3600x and GTX980 now, as well as 16GB of 3600Mhz RAM

I get very good fps at 1080p, I have some mods, a few texture mods as well, which do seem to make the stutter more visible. Yet even when I uninstalled the 2K textures the stutter seemingly persisted (albeit less noticeable).

The dumbest thing is none of the fixes here fix it, they only make it manageable, even 1fps drop is noticeable with this because it's a macro-stutter, it lasts visibly forever; although I even get 5fps drops in middle of Riverwood, always the same exact spot.

I like this game but I think it's going on the shelf, because it's painful to play.

Edited by ilyarazhkou