DX9 VRAM has been fixed!

Charles17

https://s9.postimg.org/ro2fpms1b/Screenshot_1.png

My screenshot above showing windows build and dx9 vram tool results. I now have 4x as much vram available! :devil:

Link below will get you informed and started on how to make the same for everyone using windows 10.

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5493

Hi all, a new build has been released to the Windows Insider fast ring, which contains my fix for the DX9 4GB memory issue. Link to the blog post (this change was not called out in the fixes list).

For those of you not familiar with the Insider program, you can go to https://insider.windows.com/ to sign up. Note that you will get some features that are not done, and are more likely to have bugs in your operating system if you choose to go this route. If you prefer, you can wait until the Fall Creator's update to get this fix.

Let me know if this works for you. Enjoy!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished changing my enblocal to the new value -170, played for about 10 minutes and absolutely perfect on my end. Stutter in areas with a lot of 2k-4k textures gone. Will continue to test, but so far I'm impressed.

I've heard nothing but good things from those using the insider build. I'll wait for fall for them to iron out any kinks and bugs though. I'm sure being able to use the colossal Vram of modern cards is a god send for all the old DX9 games.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Quick question. Whilst this is great news for adding textures to oldrim I assume it doesn't make oldrim anymore stable when it comes to handling scripts?

Are scripts still cause for concern generally when it comes to oldrim or have recent stability mods improved things a great deal?

I only ask because I assumed the move to SSE and 64bit was the answer to script problems

The reason Oldrim is less efficient in this regard is because it still has the 3.1 ram limit (which ENBOOST alleviates) and most users on it still have 4 gig Vram cards and often less. The script engine has to fight for the use of resources, including texture mods. For users with higher quality cards with more Vram this will give more room for the engine to breathe. Still, this is no fix for badly made mods and shoddy scripts which will still kill Skyrim LE OR SSE. This should also in theory alleviate stutter that occurs as the Vram gets filled up, meaning longer playing sessions with minimal or no stutter.

Edited by Kazuya482

Thanks for the news, Charles17. I've noticed the Reddit discussions - great news for those of us waiting for SKSE 64 and wanting old Skyrim to work better!

I'll wait until the Autumn Creator's Update - I gather there are some bugs still to iron out.

Thanks for the news, Charles17. I've noticed the Reddit discussions - great news for those of us waiting for SKSE 64 and wanting old Skyrim to work better!

I'll wait until the Autumn Creator's Update - I gather there are some bugs still to iron out.

Yes their is a few bugs to be ironed out with this build os. Like every dl from nexus is automatically a virus and blocked from downloading in microsoft edge. Chrome still works fine. As far as system stability, im not sure what to say. On another post in tech support, im giving details about an issue where my game freezes moments into playing and seconds later my fan hits high speed. Didnt happen on standard windows 10 os. Im curious if the test build has some new security settings that prevent proper interaction between the game engine, enb, and gpu. Definitely screwed up using ms edge. But.....for the brief time I can play, the image is just beautiful. As Kazuya mentioned, having more "breathing" room does make the gameplay smoother.

Edit...It required some serious fine tuning of the enblocal.ini, but my game is running fine now.

Thanks - interesting information! I don't use Edge for anything Nexus. I prefer the dire old IE11 which does the job fine until it CTDs. Chrome's OK, too. I'm looking forward to the release.