Can't save scripts made in the GECK?!

RetroNutcase

Should work fine then. Can you remove the entire Begin block (so all that remains is the script name) and be able to save? It looks right to me, and seeing how simple it is, it's either due to my phone, or you have some inherent bug with the geck.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should work fine then. Can you remove the entire Begin block (so all that remains is the script name) and be able to save? It looks right to me, and seeing how simple it is, it's either due to my phone, or you have some inherent bug with the geck.

I tried saving just the script name, but it won't save. I can edit the name of other scripts and they will save as duplicates, so I know saving a script is possible with my current install.

[Random] player doesn't need a capital P dose it?

At your suggestion, I tried it. Doesn't work. Thanks, though. After the removal of error messages, I can believe that this might be the problem. :)

The Steam file path is what's screwing you. The NV GECK is the freak'n GECK and that means OS\Games (or Program Files)\Bethesda Softworks\etc. Barring that, no way your script will work as written without a blind quest.

Begin GameMode

setStage MyQuest 0

>if (getstage MyQuest <= 0)

>>player.addperk MyPerk

>>setStage MyQuest 5

>>stopQuest MyQuest

>endif

end

Works for FO3, who knows with crap-tacular NV.

Thank God for evil FO3 modders.

The Steam file path is what's screwing you. The NV GECK is the freak'n GECK and that means OS\Games (or Program Files)\Bethesda Softworks\etc. Barring that, no way your script will work as written without a blind quest.

Begin GameMode

setStage MyQuest 0

>if (getstage MyQuest <= 0)

>>player.addperk MyPerk

>>setStage MyQuest 5

>>stopQuest MyQuest

>endif

end

Works for FO3, who knows with crap-tacular NV.

Thank God for evil FO3 modders.

Wait, so the fact that it's in the Steam directory is the problem? Then why can I edit already existing scripts and they save just fine? Also, how can anyone make mods at all that function if the Steam file path is interfering? If this is actually the problem, that seems like a really specific case to me. :/

Um, what? I have no problems with scripts lacking getstage. But, worth a shot. Just remember to remove the >>

Edit: and unlike many programming languages, bethesda scripting is not case sensitive, though most scripters use caps to make thing easier to read.

I use Player.AddItem rather than player.additem even though both work fine. If its a new word, I cap the first letter.

Wait, so the fact that it's in the Steam directory is the problem? Then why can I edit already existing scripts and they save just fine? Also, how can anyone make mods at all that function if the Steam file path is interfering? If this is actually the problem, that seems like a really specific case to me. :/

I don't know for A FACT that Steam is jacking you but I know my 'personal' version of FOMM, the KF updater and bunch of other personal utilities I have don't jive with Steam.

And you're damn right the script will work. I wrote it.

Just be sure to make a quest with stage 0 and stage 5 and you script a quest script. To BE SURE the quest fires add a message to stage 5. Something like , 'This is stage 5'. You can delete the message after you know the mechanics work. Kendo 2 = trained professional.

I don't know for A FACT that Steam is jacking you but I know my 'personal' version of FOMM, the KF updater and and bunch of other personal utilities I have don't jive with Steam.

And you're damn right the script will work. I wrote it.

Ah. I see. Well, you DID state it like it was a fact, so you can forgive us if we took it as an informed statement. And just because you wrote it doesn't mean it works. If you tested it in NV, clarify, please, so we know for sure. Thanks for the input, though.

I still don't see how it'll work. If he can't even save the script with nothing more than the scn line, adding more crap won't make it magically save. The problem is elsewhere, is my guess.

And just because your utilities don't work, doesn't mean the geck is screwed up. If that was the case, I wouldn't have been able to write and save at least two dozen scripts already.. and yess it's in the steam directory.

Edit: wait a sec, have you tried changing the name of the script to something else? Bit of a long shot, but if you accidently named something else with the same name it won't save. Didn't catch you saying you could save the bethesda scripts.