Whats up with deathclaws

Spizzay69

It's nice to see Deathclaws restored to their former glory. I was rather confused when I took down a Deathclaw at level 2 with a critical shotgun blast in Fallout 3.

I credit most of that due to Obsidian bringing back Damage Threshold as a game mechanic. Even at level 26, I avoid them still.

the only time that i avoid them is when i dont have my silenced sniper rifle or its not at 100% condition... other than that i can take them all down without any of them noticing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't able to kill a full deathclaw, not the young deathclaw, until I obtained a sniper rifle, around level 14 or so, and then I would have to sneak critical them from long distance, sometimes it was a 1hko head shot, other times it took 3 or 4 shots to drop one. It is also best to take a position they cannot get to, like in the quarrey for example, I would hop on top of the track loader, or climb the top of the conveyors, and shoot at the ones below while sitting on it. I suppose any other weapon that has sniper rifle range and power, or better could take them out no problem, fully modded hunting rifle works also, which is basically a sniper rifle, or an anti material rifle or gauss rifle if you use energy weapons, which is guaranteed 1hko with a sneak critical head shot.

I tried a wide variety of energy weapons and guns to take these out, and nothing does the job like a weapon with long range, minigun rounds, even the AP ammo seem to be ineffective vs death claws. High damage per hit weapons are the way to go. And if you got a mini-nuke don't be afraid to use one on a death claw group, like mother + babies and 2 normal death claws lol, it wont 1hko them unless you put point and specs in explosives though and there aren't any other better places in the game to make use of one.

It's nice to see Deathclaws restored to their former glory. I was rather confused when I took down a Deathclaw at level 2 with a critical shotgun blast in Fallout 3.

I credit most of that due to Obsidian bringing back Damage Threshold as a game mechanic. Even at level 26, I avoid them still.

Same, i just hit level 24 and iv only ever fought them once. I found a cave. Death Wind Cave I think... wow.... DO NOT GO IN THERE.

I think that is what the conveyor tower is in the quarry for. Get up there with a 'mint' sniper rifle, and as many gun related perks as necessary and its happy hunting, An incinerator is good for flushing them out of the corners but I got the most entertaining glitch I've had so far.

The Alpha locked up and couldn't move. I put about 30 rounds through his head and killed everything else for miles and it was still stuck mid-charge. I toasted him for a while but eventually climbed down and tried every weapon at my disposal. He could turn to face me but was locked mid step as I beat futility at his head with a shovel. When placing explosives beneath him didn't work I climbed back up the tower and restarted the game. That did it, I'm miffed that I didn't have fraps loaded it would have made a great cartoon, slightly speeded and a Benny Hill soundtrack .

Level 16

Guns- 100

Sneak- 20+

A few StealthBoys

Fully repaired Sniper Rifle 108-119 DAM, standard .308 ammo.

And Deathclaws are no longer a problem. 1-3 Sneak Crits for Mama and Alpha. 1 Sneak Crit for eveything else. All at range, so even if they hit Danger status and start running, it takes only 5 body shots to drop them, and you have enough time to drop them. Only engage one at a time though.

Leave your companions at home though, as they can aggro the whole group accidentally.

They were indeed a biatch! I jump up on the cliffs and shot them from long distance with my fully-repaired hunting rifle using iron sights and LOTS of Psycho. It took about 25 shots or more to drop one of these monsters, even with lots of crits.

Then I later jumped up on the ramps for the quarry machinery and sniped the den mother and alpha male. One of them got close once and it took 4 plasma grens and lots of 9mm to kill him.

I did it around lvl 13 or so, with crap gear pretty much.

I've got this weird fascination with deathclaws. I just love those monsters. They are these semi-mythological beasts, inspiring fear and awe wherever they choose to plonk down their eggs and call it home. They're more or less the top of the pwn-chain in Fallout; once you can take them down without any worries, you're officially the king of the wastes. I attempted to sneak past the whole bunch on level four once. The first time, I took the wrong route and got my face clawed off. The second attempt went better; I got detected once but managed to put so much rocks and debris bbetween us that he got bored and mooched back home. That felt great. Like I had outwitted the developers with my leet-ness, which probably was the point of the whole area. Make it past the gauntlet and feel generally awesome.

Right afterwards, I got my face vaporized by Fiends. But I managed to get a save in, so it was just a well-timed comedic situation. Go Deathclaws!

Here my stra even though I only take one at a time. I sneak up to a decent range without getting detected (Can do with low sneak I do all the time) lay down frag mines. Back track a ways back just in range of a scoped weapon (dosent matter which kind). Now heres the part you need a perk and some skill. I have 50 unarmed, 50 melee with perk that can knock enemies down with either skill. I let the DC hit every mine than I pull out either MW or UA weapon and straff and swing away. Then when its knockled down I enter vats and stomp them to death. It works I play on very hard and hardcore. Sorry for crappy post trying to get done as fast as I can because kids are misbehaving.