problem changing my fallout.ini

Palandiell

hey I want to install the body type replacer 3

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34702 (this is the right one right???)

and I try to change my fallout.ini settings, EXACTLY how it says in the instructions, but when I try to save it says it cant be found and that I should check the path and data name. then I try to save but it says the name fallout.ini is a protected one and I have to use a different name. WTF! how can I get around this? it seems not to be able to find itself, what should I do?

just go to the folder, rightclick on fallout.ini, go to properties and at the bottom of "general" you'll see a "read only" checkbox checked.

UNCHECK IT and try and modify the fallout.ini file again, you should be able to.

You also need to recheck read only after doing this. So, uncheck read only, make your adjustments, and then recheck it. If you don't, it's likely Steam will overwrite the file with the default settings.

Even better, change your fallout_default.ini. So far the most reliable method for me was to change both fallout_default.ini and falloutprefs.ini.

i changed my prefs and it caused an error so I had to reinstall the game.

I am some how too stupid to install the BEWARE OF GIRL Type 3 HiRez HiDetailed Replacer mod. all i have to do is change the fallout.ini and the default.ini and THEN extract the rar file into the data folder right???? if i am doing something wrong, please explain me the EXACT steps I should take

Hey, to anyone else who had the same issue as Palandiell, there is NO need to reinstall. If you have anything like that, simply go into Steam then Library -> Games -> Fallout New Vegas (right-click) -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Hey, to anyone else who had the same issue as Palandiell, there is NO need to reinstall. If you have anything like that, simply go into Steam then Library -> Games -> Fallout New Vegas (right-click) -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

And it tells me "This operation cannot be completed because Steam is in off-line mode." and I'm not about to go online until I've got the time to get the game running again after it autopatches it for me.

That being said, on my system, if I edit Fallout_default.ini in the game directory, the changes always get propagated to the ini files in My Games/FalloutNV when I start via the launcher.

• 4 years later...