A thing about "the community", donations, and endorsements

BigBizkit

Keep in mind the following:

* Certain mods like SkyUI for example after the paid mod fiasco had some people unendorsing for that reason.

* Nexus does not require you have an account to download, only if the download is over a certain cap.

* People do create multiple accounts. This may be against the ToS for the Skyrim Nexus but not every download may be "unique" in that manner.

* Since you cannot endorse immediately people tend to forget since there is a 15 minute wait.

Fortunately for the last part there is a section in borh Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer that usually show the status of a mod, if it has been endorsed or not. I think there's also an option on the websites somewhere to remind you of endorsements you may have not given yet where you can endorse directly from that page or mark the file as something you'll never endorse.

Why are you having to endorse again after having already endorsed once? Once should be sufficient no matter how many times you downloaded. As for downloading multiple times, instead, I use the manual download - that way the mod is on my hard drive and available for the next time I want to use it. This is one reason I just don't bother with the Steam workshop at all. Not having used MO, I'm not sure how it handles installing from a file instead of directly from a download. NMM, Wrye Bash, OBMM and the other managers I have used all do this as well.

Fortunately for the last part there is a section in borh Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer that usually show the status of a mod, if it has been endorsed or not. I think there's also an option on the websites somewhere to remind you of endorsements you may have not given yet where you can endorse directly from that page or mark the file as something you'll never endorse.

Just click on Files then select Download History - you can endorse/unendorse every file you've downloaded from there.

Edited by Rubbermatt

Just click on Files then select Download History - you can endorse/unendorse every file you've downloaded from there.

It's posts like these that I wish there was a "Like" option. Thanks.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, if I like a mod I will make a point of trying to remember to endorse it. That said, just because I download something doesn't mean I'll like it.

Something that really kinda bothers me is that when I download a new mod and Nexus brings up a list of old mods I have downloaded but did not endorse, strongly hinting that I've "forgotten" to do so. Sometimes that's useful, because I do occasionally forget. However, most of them are mods I either couldn't get to work, and thus have no opinion on, or mods I plain didn't like for whatever reason. Obviously I'm not going to endorse them, but so far I haven't found a way to actually decline doing so. It's a bit annoying.

Even the most popular mods have an average 5% endorsements rate though definately more people actually like the mods

Here's the thing, though: This is how it works with everything using this sort of system, not just mods, and definitely not just around here. I have seen this exact kind of behavior elsewere - most people just don't bother. It's a fact of life.

As a creator, pretty much all you can do is figure out what is a statistically "good score" and be content with that. You have to focus on the number of people who did show their appriciation, not the ones who didn't, and then compare that the whatever the average is.

Due to the recent manifestations of good will and appreciation towards mod authors and the Nexus community in general, I thought it might be a good opportunity to address one thing in particular: endorsements.

Did you ever notice how even the most popular, and widely used mods on the Nexus have terrible download-to-endorsement rates? Here's some examples:

#1 Mod of all times - SkyUI

4,5 Million unique downloads - 274.500 endorsements ~ 6% endorsement rate

popular Spell mod - Apocalypse

1,2 Millon unique downloads - 45.000 endorsements ~ 3% endorsement rate

DLC sized mod - Falskaar

888,000 unique downloads - 59.000 endorsements ~ 6,6% endorsement rate

player home by the "go-to-girl" for house mods - Elianora - Serenity

34,000 unique downloads - 1.900 endorsements ~ 6,8% endorsement rate

Don't tell me only 5% of people ended up liking those mods.

Now, before you go all "modding shouldn't be about the endorsements" speech, realize that I agree, I do. But with all the talk of showing more support and appreciation towards authors going around, I have to address this issue.

Unlike donations, endorsements don't cost money, you do not need a bank account, you do not need a paypal account, you do not need to enter your personal information. All you need to do is to take out one second of your time and click the like button.

I have been told that endorsement rates have risen since the button is more "in your face" with the reminder. I know they did. They have risen to and underwhelming 6% for outstanding uber mods.

I think the endorsements are as "in your face" as they could be and this should not change. I think this is more on the side of the individual people to start changing their ways.

I started making mods for personal use back in Morrowind, long before I knew about the Nexus. I have made many mods for Morrowind and Skyrim. Yet I have only released two so far. And when I did release my first one here on the Nexus in February of this year, I realized how much effort it takes from having a perfectly functioning mod for yourself to making it ready for shipment. There are numerous steps involved in getting the mod ready for the enjoyment of others. The testing, packaging, designing the mod page, the description, walkthroughs, different versions, compatibility patches, and then the support of the mod. All this, all those mod authors out there do solely for your/our benefit. They could keep the mod for themselves but instead put in days/weeks/months for the benefit of the community.

I do not want to add the "they do it for free" part, and keep the money out of it. But they do put in all this extra effort yet only five percent of people put in the time to give their "thumbs up". The 5% rate is the average for outstanding mods btw.

If you want to be all "look at this guy begging for endorsements", then ok. Go ahead, and unendorse my mods if you endorsed before and I offended you. But please take the time in the future and give a thumbs up to other mods you like. Yeah, people do not mod for endorsements but people also do not live to receive appreciation from others, yet still it feels good when you do.

I for one also enjoy reading comments a lot.

TL;DR:

• Even the most popular mods have an average 5% endorsements rate though definately more people actually like the mods
  • I know modding is not about endorsements
  • Endorsement reminders should not be even more in your face
  • the community voiced the will to show more support/appreciation, clicking a button to have an author know you like their work should not be too much to ask for

This is a good step in the right direction.

Not fond of the endorsement system period.

As already mentioned there is no fool proof endorsement system.

Me downloading someone else mod, sure I endorse it if I use it and I like it.

Others downloading my mod, endorsements are turned off and I prefer a brief thank you in my thread if the user appreciated my mod.

I do not care if others whine about "I find decent mods by the amount of endorsements".

My response is "Many endorsements does not make a good mod, you miss out on many great mods if that's your belief."

To me Endorsements are for sheep, adventures actually do the footwork, read about, dissect the mod and use the mod and lead the way.

I'm an adventurer.

This everything faster world that people have become accustomed to, the whole make it easier one click for users to judge, download, install is not my idea of great modding and causes more thread clutter then anything else.

Mainly due to why bother spending any time working things out when one dummy click and hope for the best is easier.

If that fails I'll just ask the same questions already asked a billion times before without committing any effort myself.

Seems to be along the lines of what endorsements inspire to imho.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, if I like a mod I will make a point of trying to remember to endorse it. That said, just because I download something doesn't mean I'll like it.

Something that really kinda bothers me is that when I download a new mod and Nexus brings up a list of old mods I have downloaded but did not endorse, strongly hinting that I've "forgotten" to do so. Sometimes that's useful, because I do occasionally forget. However, most of them are mods I either couldn't get to work, and thus have no opinion on, or mods I plain didn't like for whatever reason. Obviously I'm not going to endorse them, but so far I haven't found a way to actually decline doing so. It's a bit annoying.

Even the most popular mods have an average 5% endorsements rate though definately more people actually like the mods

Here's the thing, though: This is how it works with everything using this sort of system, not just mods, and definitely not just around here. I have seen this exact kind of behavior elsewere - most people just don't bother. It's a fact of life.

Yeah I know. But after "modgate" everyone's all "let's be totally supportive! donations all the way!". I think it is a good opportunity to try to change how things are in life, at least for the Nexus.

To be semi fair, SkyUI for example I've downloaded 11 times, in my short time playing Skyrim, I can endorse but a single time, the Longer I am modding the lower the percentage of downloads to endorsements for the mods I like get.

Every Play Through I start with a Fresh download and install of Skyrim, and then a download and install of each mod, I reread through compatibilities I get to see comments of complementary mods that people have used. And It makes me go Endorse the mod, If I wanted to download it for a second play through it must have been great.

I agree one should endorse a mod THEY like! As one can see the more endorsements, the more the community AND the modder knowers "this is a winner" I look at the "most endorsed" section of mods FIRST if I'm looking for a new mod. One should ALSO leave a comment as to what YOU thought of the mod ...if you thought it needed tweaking....JUST how good you think it is, not just an "auto congrats". As to "pay mods" I think everyone has gotten a "stinker" mod at one time or another! One that looked promising but crashed, had bugs, incompatible with better mods etc. WHY would one PAY for that? If you had to pay "up front" only to find it was a stinker...could you get your money back? Not likely! YES I like the idea of donations to the moder who created a GREAT mod IN YOUR OPINION...and IF you wanted to support him/her with dollars instead of just "thank yous". IF everything was a "pay" mod and there were plenty of garbage mods...people would simply stop downloading mods and play the "vanilla" games only. Trying to set up a system to weed out the "junk for money" would be near impossible.

I can certainly appreciate the effort, long hours, design and engineering, that goes into modding. That goes without saying but to insist you must be paid...why aren't YOU working FOR Beth or some other gaming company where you can have a steady salary or at least be paid a lump some for your talent. To depend on "the kindness of others" really is more charity than a job!

IF your work is well endorsed, you can SHOW a prospective employer your ability! Using a non-pay venue like Nexus can tell you by the number of downloads and endorsements weather your work is WORTHY of being paid for. Professional Artists SHOULD be paid for their work, but I don't think this is the venue for that. THe "pros" would kill off any chance for the "newbie" to get a foot in the door! I also agree this venue NEEDS Pros for some jobs but thats something that has to worked out by the owners of Nexus. Which brings up another subject...should Nexus charge for their services??? IF you firmly believe in the "community"...become a Premium member! There are a lot of ways to "help", not only in encouragement, but with hard earned dollars!