How to Freeze an Object

Abramul

Tired of stuff getting knocked out of position, out of a display case, or off of a table? You don't have to put up with it any longer!

Want to build a bridge out of shields? Now you can!

Introducing SetRigidBodyMass! Now available in consoles near you!

Notes on use:

--SetRigidBodyMass 0 and SetRigidBodyMass 100 both seem to freeze objects.

--It appears to affect either the base object or perhaps all objects using the mesh. I haven't done enough testing to determine which.*

--It seems that objects CANNOT be unfrozen. Before using this, save your game, and then freeze the object(s) and save again when you're satisfied with the positions.**

--If you freeze an object that's in midair, it falls and freezes when it hits the ground.

*If someone could determine which is the case, that would be useful

**Again, it would be useful to know whether this is correct. However, I intend to test this myself.

But don't try it on npc's, or chances are you'll get something like this. o_O

It seems that objects CANNOT be unfrozen.

I think you can, by picking it up.

Want to build a bridge out of shields? Now you can!

Can you stand on them? :P

There's also a mod that allows you to freeze/unfreeze/rotate items. It's called Decorator Assistant. It also allows you to freeze items in the air.

I've done some further experimenting:

--To freeze an object, use SetRigidBodyMass 0. 100 will make an object very difficult to move, but may result in a 'Flubberized' item. I had a Light Iron Shield bouncing around Jensine's Basement for at least 3 minutes.

--I was incorrect regarding all items being affected by use of this command on one of them. But it does seem that there may be a bug that results in this. See next item.

--SetRigidBodyMass 10 generally results in a conveniently-movable item. However, it seems that excessive use on a given item can cause it to be PERMANENTLY locked, so I would recommend just picking it up and dropping it again.

--I mentioned that items will only freeze once they hit the ground. Instead, it would seem that they freeze when their collision box hits something.

I have not tried exiting and reentering a cell containing frozen items. My expectation is that:

a) Items will remain frozen OR

b) Items will be unfrozen, but will not move until disturbed, similar to the hovering food sometimes encountered.

a) Items will remain frozen OR

b) Items will be unfrozen, but will not move until disturbed, similar to the hovering food sometimes encountered.

I tried it, and it remains frozen. My character and all the npc started to bounce (Slightly sink into the ground, and then get back up) when I came back to the cell but that's probably because of the dead npc being sticky there, as shown in my first post.

Archived