Multiple cores

alexisalex

This is a bit if an iffy subject but the answers are quite easy to do. NOTE it requires much testing as it can cause instability with a rig.

use this to find the first of three files you will need to copy, backup and edit.

Step 1 - "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas" Locate the file "Fallout_default"

Step 2 - Copy, backup and archive the file now it is time to edit it.

Step 3 - use the find attachment (Ctrl+F) to locate "bUseThreadedAI=0" and change it to "bUseThreadedAI=1"

Step 4 - use the find attachment (Ctrl+F) to locate "iNumHavokThreads=1" and change it to "iNumHavokThreads=4" (Or 2 if it makes the game unstable)

Step 5 - use the find attachment (Ctrl+F) to locate "iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400" and change it to one of the following for the specified RAM you wish to allocate: 1GB = "iPreloadSizeLimit=52428800." 2GB = "iPreloadSizeLimit=104857600." DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT exceed 3gb as the engine is an x32 bit engine. Default RAM allocated is 512 MB. I recommend you allocate 1GB or 2GB as it seems to be more stable than other amounts.

Step 6 - Repeat Step 2 through Step 5 with the "Fallout" and "FalloutPrefs" files located in "(user name)\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV" folder

NOTE if you "confirm integrity of local content" you will have to update these files again.

This is something that always confused me. The cover claims it's enhanced for multi-core so I thought that "bUseThreadedAI=0" was the default for multi-core and one changes it to a numeral only to force the number of cores (or threads) used. I've left it at default and played FO3 and FNV this way all along and suffered no ill effects (from that only!).

I use fnv4gb to launch and my CPU/RAM usage would stay about even at 25% each. I have an i7 (4 cores/8 threads) and 16 gig DDR3. However, recently my CPU usage has been running 50-60% while the RAM stays the same which shouldn't be enough to bottle-neck my GTX 480 but something has definitely changed. I'm wondering if Beth may have tried to "fix" the problem so many multi-core users were having and unintentionally trashed the rest of us (much as their "crash fix" ruined it for those of us who rarely had that problem before).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Let me start off by saying that the Gamebro engine is a dual core optimized engine. New Vegas has an interesting claim that it is quad core capable ...really IFFY there, hit or miss and by that I mean it either works and/or crashes. The engine is also buggy beyond belief.

Dual core it should work fine but with Quad cores it is a shot in the dark. I really think the engine was downgraded from F3 (various personal reasons).

The game engine will run Dual cores fine but the INI was set for old school systems standard, namely single core, and around 1024 MB ram (1 gig), the basic now is 2GB - 3GB RAM and dual core. Many computer companies are trying to push x64 bit OS, ALL (Modern) gaming companies use x64 bit OS in development.

Some day 4GB RAM and x64 bit OS will be the standard (already x64 OS is being used by 30% - 40% of users, I am one of them).

• 7 years later...

Let me start off by saying that the Gamebro engine is a dual core optimized engine. New Vegas has an interesting claim that it is quad core capable ...really IFFY there, hit or miss and by that I mean it either works and/or crashes. The engine is also buggy beyond belief.

Dual core it should work fine but with Quad cores it is a shot in the dark. I really think the engine was downgraded from F3 (various personal reasons).

The game engine will run Dual cores fine but the INI was set for old school systems standard, namely single core, and around 1024 MB ram (1 gig), the basic now is 2GB - 3GB RAM and dual core. Many computer companies are trying to push x64 bit OS, ALL (Modern) gaming companies use x64 bit OS in development.

Some day 4GB RAM and x64 bit OS will be the standard (already x64 OS is being used by 30% - 40% of users, I am one of them).

So, I know this is a really old post, I've just been having issues with NV, got em fixed though. But your post gave me a chuckle. I remember back when having 4 GB of RAM was top tier :P

Now days 8GB is the standard and 16GB is the moderate-gaming standard.

Back then I never would have imagined having a gaming PC with 32 GB of ram as I do now.

Just a friendly bit of advice. Read the Nexus "Terms of Service" about not resurrecting old threads. The primary reason is that the original thread participants are seldom still around. While it might be excusable if it provided a new solution to an old problem, a gratuitous comment that contributes nothing but an opinion may draw the frown of a moderator.

-Dubious-