Mod Suggestion, Deployment and Resupply Costs

GSmog

I've seen people changing lots of things about this game, but I had one question. Is it possible to remove deployment costs for using weapons, or maybe give a "refund" for coming back with things? Like it seems a little silly to keep paying over and over for my gun when I come back with it all the time. Also it makes me feel like I'm wasting even more money to go in with all the stuff that cost me hundreds of thousands already to develop so I end up still only bringing the bare essentials.

Its like a nagging little knock in the back of my head. "Do you really need to bring the upgraded rocket launcher/rifle/etc, the basic is fine isnt it? Cuz it costs like 10 times as much but still only has the same amount of ammo, its just going to be even more expensive when you call in a resupply..." Its like why even bother spending the money to develop it if Im not going to use it...

Speaking of... I think using the flares to resupply should make them cheaper. But in general resupplying ends up costing a bunch too. But, long suggestion short, can we lower the deployment cost from like 1% to like 0.1 or 0.01 percent? What about Free? Or get a refund for the deployment cost for the gear you bring back with you in the field. Or lower the percentage cost for resupply? One thing I need to check is how much the resupply costs and what it is based off, but Im fairly sure it just charges you half of whatever your deployment cost is. Which makes no sense... if I go in with full armor it shouldnt increase how much some more bullets, silencers and fulton kits are going to cost.

This shouldnt affect FOB stuff much if any [i dunno cuz I abstain from it] and would only [mostly?] impact single player gaming... right?

Maybe we can lower the cost for using and upgrading the helicopter now that Im thinking about it too. If it doesnt get blown up then all I should have to pay for is fuel right...

Edited by GSmog

Actually, the helicopter costs are fairly reasoonable. You also pay for fresh ammo in miniguns and rocket launchers and maintanance. And the fuel cost jumps like 20k GMP (10-11k for fully decked out heli to 30-31k) on fourth level of upgrade, which, coincidentally (or is it?) is described as replacing turboprop engines with jet ones, thus the "sudden" jump in fuel consumption. Simple, really - you want less pricey heli - use the slower chassis.

And yeah, the GMP income in high levels is big enough to ignore these costs, at least if you know how to hoard GMP.

That's not the point, Ace.

The point is that in a video game, it's fragging absurd to say "Well, I developed all this awesome stuff, but I can't use it because of logistical reasons."

My main problem with the deployment costs isn't the GMP, though that is a big problem - my main problem is the freaking plants! What, do they expect me to spend four hours driving all over Afghanistan personally picking every damn plant so I can go ahead and use my high-end sleep-dart rifles? That's an absurd farce.

We already spent a metric arseload of GMP and resources researching this stuff, I think we should actually get to USE them.

Yeah, the plants are a problem. I'm running out of Haoma for Noctoanyn all the time. Then again, you can easily gather them through dispatch missions, and you get them from FOV infiltrations, and daily rewards.

And yeah, i guess it's not that absurd if part of the game is a PMC owner simulator. Then again it may have been a way to force players to switch up their tactics every once in a while.

Oh, and about "spending resources on development" - tell that to my hundreds of thouthands of Biological Resources, which i don't even know where to spend. Like, seriously, I sell them as soon as they get processed.

Yea seems the biological resources arent even used much, Im mostly running out of Fuel. And when Im on a giant oil rig base I would figure I would be getting more fuel. :p

But yea, is it possible to reduce or remove the deployment costs? It bugs me so much that I have to go run all the "shoot the target" missions on base so I dont feel like Im wasting money. That and having to go out and farm plants and such seem a little much just to use the stuff I already spent so much on development. Combine that with not being able to bring back anything with you and get a refund or the price of your armor effecting your resupply costs [at least I feel like it does] and it doesnt seem very fair.

So can we mod anything to change the deployment or helicopter costs? Im unsure if each item needed to be changed individually or if its a global cover all percentage of development costs etc but if people can change all the guns and stuff I figure they may be able to mod the deployment costs. Cuz my new shiny more expensive rifle still uses the same ammo as the normal one... in most cases anyway, so unsure why it would cost more to resupply. :/

Double post, anyway I actually just stumbled on a thing that removed deployment costs. Unsure if it effects helicopters or resupply costs but there was a link to it in the "remove research and base construction times" mod. I'll put it up here for convenience, it essentially combined both of those things in the same file. Apparently there used to be a no deployment cost mod but for the life of me I couldnt find it anywhere. >.> Maybe it was removed cuz it got outdated. This one works though.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/79fx5v96mjyjm1j/00.dat

Edited by GSmog

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have a huge issue with items requiring large amounts of Haoma and Lutea or the grade 7 guns that suddenly require 200+ precious metal to deploy with!!! (of which, when calling a resupply, the plant and resource costs are charged AGAIN for every item you are carrying, even if you haven't launcher a single sleep grenade out of that overpriced launcher. Boom, 7 more lutea.

Can't say I ever understood why I keep paying for weapons I brought home with me or items I didn't use, either. Frustrating when I would do a short mission with an expensive load out and then I'm suddenly in a cutscene back at mother base, which means everything I bought will have to be bought again if I feel like going back to the field that I never meant to leave, anyway. GMP hasn't been a problem for me in ages, but those rare plants and PMs make me feel guilty everytime I use any.

Yea Im right there with you. Here take a look at how much it would otherwise normally cost me if I wanted to roll into a mission with the gear I have already spent millions developing. It costs more than creating the first few extra platforms for MB. Way too high. Glad I found the no deployment costs thing.

http://puu.sh/kRz5B/3eb71fe303.jpg

There wouldn't happen to be a way to just reduce the costs, is there? Getting rid of the Lutea, Haoma, and PM costs is fantastic (or even all materials altogether), but if I see that I'm going in paying nothing, I'll kinda feel like I'm cheating. The fact that I'm almost perma-capped at the 10,000,000 GMP limit makes spending GMP important... so I can enjoy getting more back again, I guess? Is it just a matter of the difficulty involved in tweaking individual items over just removing deployment costs completely, or is it just not workable?

Anyway, thanks for that link! Any feedback is much appreciated.

I wondered the same thing, like it wouldnt be so bad if things were cut in half, or others had a 0 cut off the end of it. Unfortunately to do that you would have to go through the whole line of items and find each specific one, not lose track of the last one you did, and edit each single entry by hand. I took a jab at it and I could probably do it, but it would be long, tedious and boring. Its not an easy thing to do either, but I think they were saying it was some 300+ entries if I remember right that one would need to edit. On top of that, some of the values are weird. For instance you might see this in the code."p54=2e3" and "6e3" At first it left me wondering if that was binary or something but e2 and e3 etc is the number of zeros applied to the number so 2e2 would 200 and 2e3 would be 2000 and 7e4 would be 70000 and so on.

You can check the messages though to find out more if you like. http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/8/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmetalgearsolidvtpp%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D8%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D3220559&pUp=1

Id be interested in such a mod myself, just the amount of effort needed versus my motivation to do so isn't good, so might as well enjoy the freebies. I justify it fine in my head by saying the cost to develop it all should cover my future expenses. Better than feeling bad for actually USING my stuff I spent good money on because it forwhatever reason costs 10x more to carry 2 extra grenades with me~ >.> that s*** needs to be balanced better or scrapped entirely.

Also, how do you have a gmp limit of 10 million? Mine is 500k~

Edited by GSmog