Molag Bal's Quest for good guys

Aboogie1

I know there is a mod for this that already exists: House of Horrors Alternate Ending by Kevin Kidder (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21700/?)

BUT... I want to have my cake and eat it too, some way to be a good guy and actually still get the relic. Maybe the rusty mace doesn't disappear when you drop it, it just stays there, unassuming and weak. Molag curses you and you can get the curse removed like normal in that mod, but no buff will be added. Instead, it is possible to take the rusty mace and when you kill someone with it the first time, Molag will see a glimmer of hope for you and tell you to keep up the good work. After you kill 100 people (plenty of bandits and necromancers in Skyrim) he will be pleased and replace the rusty mace with the true relic. That would be perfect for a good guy completionist character who still wants to collect relics.

I had been thinking that many of the daedra quests are like that, you have to do something that might go completely against your character's nature in order to get the loot (which yeah, makes sense) However, there could be another way.

I have only just gotten the Creation kit, and it scares me (I am trying to figure out ways to make retextures and get them in game) so I don't know if this would be possible, but what about something like this:

Each daedric quest, you have the option to 'turn down' the quest. After that the Daedra won't help you. however, I think it was Peryite who said that if you (meaning the character) doesn't help him, someone else will. So, for those quests you turn down, it sets in motion another quest: one where after a certain amount of time, you hear about an 'avatar' (or whatever the daedric princes call their stooges...) wrecking havok on innocent people (random farmers etc..) in whatever ways that make sense for the prince (molag bal would be killing the innocent farmers with said mace) and it is then up to you to track down the avatar and defeat him, thus getting the unique item for your own, but not having to go against the PC's character (I don't really have to worry about this, my character would do just about anything, except cheat on his spouse, for loot...).

Unfortunately as I said, I have just gotten the CK, and from the looks of it, I am years away from being able to do something like this.

imo, the beauty of RP and decisions is that there are different consequences for different actions. I personally loath how when you talk to deadric princes you get option a "yes ofc master" and option b "screw you demon" but they just shrug it off and the quest proceeds as usual.

same goes for the example given here: I think if the outcome (getting the mace) is the same, it would take away alot from the decision to be a good guy about the quest. If I were to design good-guy-ways of playing certain quests, I would make it so you get a different kind of reward, comparable but different, for choosing the alternate path. Otherwise you'll have one "right" (as in this will benefit you the most gameplay wise) and one "wrong" path, and that's no fun.

• 3 years later...

bit late to the party here, but why not something where your character vows to only use the mace to thwart things that would actually help Bal thereby making the weapon utterly useless to him because yes hes getting energy from it but his plans are being ruined so hes more screwed by you having it than not. I dunno it just seems like a good way of screwing over daedra. alternatively you could also vow to just lock it away after you get it and never use it