[IDEA EXCHANGE] Settlement Modifications, Improvements

Athanasa

I read about your plans to harvest fish. Don't forget...they are living in radioactive waters...and getting a lot of tumors. That means a substantial amount of them would be inedible. So I think what you could do in this situation is to make it a "rule" that you have to catch much more fish just to get a small amount of edible fish parts. Maybe, catching 5 fish would get you 1 edible, or whatever ratio you choose. Just try to make it so that an actual extra effort is felt by the player while fishing.

Edited by yzerman19

I read about your plans to harvest fish. Don't forget...they are living in radioactive waters...and getting a lot of tumors. That means a substantial amount of them would be inedible. So I think what you could do in this situation is to make it a "rule" that you have to catch much more fish just to get a small amount of edible fish parts. Maybe, catching 5 fish would get you 1 edible, or whatever ratio you choose. Just try to make it so that an actual extra effort is felt by the player while fishing.

Oh, I was just thinking NPC fishing. Otherwise you'd have to make an entire minigame for it. It might be nice to have NPCs on the banks of the river in Sanctuary fishing away. It's one of those, "Let's do functionally the same thing but make it look different" things.

Well, I don't know what you'd call it--but I've done plenty of building of settlements and I've noticed one major flaw. I can make a lot of settlements where the flooring is levitating off of the ground and there is no way I can build a support below it. It looks rather stupid and unrealistic. I wish they had some (base?) building structures that you could use to put below apparently hovering structures so they could look like they had a support. Does this make sense?

it would indeed be awesome to improve most things about settlements.

what i'd like to add is maybe better power sources, not those placeable generators, but actually finding parts and repairing existing power plants and build power lines between every settlement.

maybe use existing power lines, fix them, connect them to new poles...only necessary stuff to supply power to your settlements.

this would give you much more room to build things, as i find many locations very small, and kinda immersion breaking when using noisy generators near sleeping houses.

what i'd like to add is maybe better power sources, not those placeable generators, but actually finding parts and repairing existing power plants and build power lines between every settlement.

maybe use existing power lines, fix them, connect them to new poles...only necessary stuff to supply power to your settlements.

this would give you much more room to build things, as i find many locations very small, and kinda immersion breaking when using noisy generators near sleeping houses.

GOod idea. With associated quests and whatnot too. Maybe it'd spawn circuit breakers like that one in the Diamond City player house?

Edited by Athanasa

Well, I don't know what you'd call it--but I've done plenty of building of settlements and I've noticed one major flaw. I can make a lot of settlements where the flooring is levitating off of the ground and there is no way I can build a support below it. It looks rather stupid and unrealistic. I wish they had some (base?) building structures that you could use to put below apparently hovering structures so they could look like they had a support. Does this make sense?

There are a couple vanilla supports under the wood section, however this mod just came out and sounds right up your alley:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7784/?

Village Life

Assign certain areas of your base to be certain areas.

Cafeteria / Bar: Settlers congregate in this area at dawn and dusk for breakfast and dinner. Maybe even lunch (although Fallout time runs so fast they'd probably never leave if you did that). It could function off a modified Food/Drink stall, added to look like a bar.

Probably screwed up the quote function there....

Anyhow - my settlers actually do this in Sanctuary now.

They always did at the various settlements, most notably Red Rocket, and the Drive In... I had sorta noticed it at Red Rocket - the first store I built was a bar there. I'd seen them gather around the Snack stand at Starlight, but that was the only place there were any chairs.

It finally clicked when I rebuilt my multi-story building in Sanctuary that housed my power armor/craft stations, and made it a big warehouse. That meant the upper floors weren't available for my "stores" (general store and weapon sales). I stuck the stores in the driveways across the street from where the workshop is. Now at 10 pm every night, all my settlers go over to this area and hang out for about 30 mins/an hour of game time.

I'd already dumped all the patio furniture in that yard before I got the Picket Fences recipe, so I just added more seats, a couple of fire barrels (using Homemaker). Now it's an every evening event. There ARE other places to sit in Sanctuary, unlike Red Rocket and Starlight Drive-in, so I don't know why they do it; I'm glad they do though. Wish I could explain why...

Dumb question -- the supposed game mechanic of "Defense = Food + Water = less raider attacks." does not seem to work for me - is it documented somewhere?. Sanctuary in my main game has >170 defense, 40 water and 50 ish food. Every other attack/kidnapping is there (I started writing a note to myself, it was so irritating). Also driving me nuts -- the NPC that notifies me of the kidnappings has been sent to the Slog (he's a ghoul, and I'm racist or something, I guess), so now he is off in a random place when I need to turn the kidnapping quest back in....right now he is on top of a highway that is inaccessible (even with unmodded jetpack). I tried getting to him with TCL , but it drops me to the ground..

Anyway -- is that equation correct as far as everyone else can tell?