What to make of a certain synth at the end of the game?

CyrusAmell

The only botched procedures actually mentioned in the game are resulting in a permanent coma.

Plus, let's look at NV:

- you have operated as a courier for a longer time than you have an amnesia (see, Lonesome Road)

- you're WAY too far from the institute to explain that as a courier being disappeared and replaced by a courser

So, prima facie, whether you're a courser or not, your amnesia had noting to do with that. It's just not evidence, since it's too late to be connected in any way.

But also:

- synth components are pretty obvious in both Fallout 3 and 4

- especially a courser "chip" is a rather bulky and hard to mistake piece of equipment

- they're also said to be quite obvious to non-trained people in, for example, the Broken Mask incident. Valentine says no less than that the BM synth was full of servos and sprockets

yet

- Doc Mitchell operated on your brain and didn't seem to notice anything special

- in OWB they outright extract your brain out, and the only thing out of place is the bullet scar. That's explicitly mentioned as THE reason why the auto-doc had to correct its procedure

While I suppose one or the other might have missed your having a big glass thing and wires in your head, it seems very unlikely that BOTH would completely miss that.

OK, now let's look at Fallout 3.

Well, there are several flies in that ointment. And one of the biggest ones is that you actually can get a synth chip (possibly courser, and even possibly the same Harkness and Armitage had) implanted in you, by none other than Dr Zimmer, head of the Synth Retention Bureau, if you turn in Harkness. (I guess his Ph.D. wasn't just in catching synths.) You'd think that if you already had any synth components in you, he'd kinda notice. In fact, next thing you know, the game would continue with you sweeping the floors in the Institute or such :p

Incidentally, that also gives us a good idea of how compatible a synth brain and a human brain are.

- synth components are pretty obvious in both Fallout 3 and 4

- they're also said to be quite obvious to non-trained people in, for example, the Broken Mask incident. Valentine says no less than that the BM synth was full of servos and sprockets

The Broken Mask synth was a prototype, not full Gen 3. As for synth components... M7-97 managed to remain undetected within the Brotherhood for over 10 years of active field duty. If it was obvious, you'd think someone would have picked it up at any time he ended up in med-bay or the initial physical exam. And no, he wasn't replaced part way through his time in the BOS - otherwise the DNA records from him joining wouldn't match.

Edited by Athanasa

Again, I'm not talking obvious from the outside. I think the game goes above and beyond the call of duty to tell you that you can't tell UNLESS you dissect someone. So, yeah, they don't show up on X-Ray.

But they ARE always found on a corpse. You don't even need particular instructions to find them. Even a 1 intelligence teenager with no points in science (yeh, I may have actually played as Maxine from my brief attempt at a FO3 comic) can always find the components in Harkness or Armitage in FO3.

So two different doctors operate specifically on someone's brain, and a THIRD scientist handles that brain afterwards in OWB, yeah, I think one of them would notice.