Seranaholic red eyes for all vampires

Megahypernova

• 2 months later...

Hey, I did a thing. I'm not sure it works.

Creation Kit has been acting up lately; first it started crashing, now it refuses to let me drag additional files into the 'create archive' box;
I had to make bsa file using the old archive.exe, so I'm not sure if it'll even work, but I'm too tired and frustrated to do any testing today. Hope it works:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75651/?

Can't you just take the eye texture and rename it to eyevampire01 and eyevampire02 and put them both with the rest of the eyes? I'm pretty sure it's that simple.

It would be true in case of werewolves (in beast form), because the all use the same model which game puts together as it goes.

With vampires, there are two problems:

1 - majority of vampire NPCc instead of humanvampires use humandemon eyes (the fully black) ones, and I didn't want to mess with those, as I'm not sure what else uses them;

2 - all NPCs that belong to playable races have pre-prepared nif and dds files for their heads, packed in skyrim.bsa; they take precedence over loose texture files. So if you want to change appearance of existing NPC, you need to change it in CK, and export facedata (ctrl+4) to create new nif and dds, which will override the ones from bsa.

And yes, that concerns both named NPCs and generic bandits/guards/whatevers that get randomly spawned. I found that out while making a DarkNords mod. It took me a while to realize why people who where properly brown in CK, in game were wandering around with brown arms and white faces. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't you just take the eye texture and rename it to eyevampire01 and eyevampire02 and put them both with the rest of the eyes? I'm pretty sure it's that simple.

[...my long post about why it isn't that simple...]

Huh. You know, after typing my long-winded answer I started thinking about it some more, and the more I thought the more doubts I had, so I went and checked and it turns out, you were right. The exported facegen dds only stores skin tone and tattoos, not eye color; so just dropping appropriately named textures in the right folder does change eyes in-game, even on playable races.

So the 'mod' only needs two texture files and a tiny esp that makes sure that all vampires use the 'right' kind of eyes. It IS that simple. :)