ENB, Hotkeys and YOU.

Bugnexus7

(I'm reposting this here because I thought it would help others. Originally posted Elsweyr.)

Some people using Boris Vorontsov' ENBoost/ENBSeries may not be aware that in addition to the Shift-Enter hotkeys to open the config menu, there are several other hotkeys that are hard-coded. One of these is a toggle for the FPS Limiter.

If you are using a mod that uses the same hotkey, you will be inadvertantly toggling the FPS Limiter on and off every time you use that hotkey! As Skyrim doesn't function well over 60FPS, this will cause intermittant, seemingly random problems with all sorts of in-game functions from scripts to HDT physics.

There are other hotkeys that might be in conflict with mod hotkeys, as well! These hotkeys function even if you have the graphics modifications disabled and only use ENBoost.

F4 is used to dump VRAM. I had this hotkey used for Auto-Save Manager (Manual Save Function) and every time I used that hotkey to make a save, ENB would dump VRAM at the exact same time. I suspect this was the cause of a rash of corrupt saves I experienced.

Since Boris chose to make these hard-coded (the executable will simply re-write them to enblocal.ini if you manually delete them. I tried to make the file read-only, but the functions still seemed to work), it is FAR easier to change the hotkey for whatever mod is in conflict provided that mod has a means to do so--most do.

The most common hotkey conflict I can imagine is between the ENB hotkey for VRAM purge, and the default outfit hotkey for SkyUI. If you're using both, every time you equip outfit slot 4, you're also purging VRAM causing the game to freeze for up to 10 seconds while it does this.

DEFAULT ENB Hotkeys:

SHIFT+ENTER = Toggle Config Menu

F12 = Use Effect

Home = FPS Limiter Toggle

Numpad * = Show/Hide FPS Counter

PrintScreen = Printscreen (both ENB and Skyrim will create a screenshot at the SAME time, the ENB file being a larger file)

F4 = Free VRAM

B = Brute Force Mode Toggle (Thanks snelss0!)

Check to make sure you don't have any mods using these same keys.

Anyway, I hope this helps solve some "mystery issues" some people might have been experiencing.

Edited by Bugnexus7

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Update:

Simply removing the key command from the .ini files has fixed it for me. I'm using Enhanced Hotkeys and they by default use the Frame Limiter key (Home) so every time I was renaming my potions my frames dropped to like 10. All bad, and for a period of time it was driving me crazy until I notice the limiter was turning itself on--then I found it was a hotkey--and the rest is history. Cheers.

See here:

SkyrimLE:ENBLocal INI Reference/Limiter

SkyrimLE:ENBLocal INI Reference/Default INI

(and for those of you who ask why this is about Skyrim, you'll find the TES games and ENB all shake hands fairly closely. See here for Oblivion Main page.)

According to this page, enb config has to be open for the hotkeys to function--that doesn't seem accurate as mine work with/without config (shift+enter) open.

Still looking for a solution.

So... no solutions on how to remove/edit these hotkeys? Ugh.

Edited by PSchoenmann