City mods and object rendering

roylapoutre

Hello fellow modder,

I recently discovered JK Skyrim (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61035/?) and the lite version of the same mod (www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71018/?).

So basically, this mod add tons of elements in cities (from different items to meshes and flora), just like Dawn of Skyrim (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58275/?) which I had previously.

JK Skyrim is much more performance heavy than DoS, and DoS is already quite the FPS killer. And I noticed something with all those mods : when you're entering a city, Whiterun for example, you

have all the city ahead of you and in that case, the FPS is crap. That's the worst case scenario though, you "look" at every single object added by the mods even if you don't actually see them.

But this impact on performance varies a lot depending on the position in the city and line of sight.

And that's quite frustrating, it's like everything is fully rendered in the city even if you don't directly see the items. Hence my question : does anybody know a way to reduce the performance impact of

the objects and meshes you cannot see ? I really doubt it would be possible but it's worth a shot. I love those mods, but I'm going from constant 60 FPS outside the cities to 30-60 FPS inside cities,

depending on my line of sight.

Thanks !

Other performance hungry mods installed : RealVision ENB set to medium, a lot of 2K textures, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Unique Grasses, ELFX, SBT, Realistic Water Two.

Rig : i5 3570K @4.5GHz, G1 Gaming GTX 980Ti @1400MHz, 16Go RAM, 1440p 60Hz.

Edited by roylapoutre

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry I can't offer up a solution for you yet, but I wanted to post that I have a very similar system and am running into Skyrim performance problems in cities much like you. The thing is I am getting even lower performance in places like Whiterun versus you without running JK's city mod. This may be due to my worse CPU (amd 8320 @ 4.1)

Are you running on Windows 10? How many other mods are you running? (posting your full mods list may be helpful)

I have a similar post on this forum, if i find out anything revolutionary I will let ya know.

Good luck!