⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

UIO and FCO won't work please help!

Clackers615

Downloaded User Interface Organizer (UIO) and Fallout Character Overhaul (FCO) and when I try to create a new character it shows a big red exclamation point/caution sign on the characters and when I exit the character screen it says UIO doesn't detect FCO eyebrows, I tried re-installing both mods and it keeps popping up, I'm not using LOOT and I AM using archive invalidation. I don't know how to post my load order either so that'd be nice if someone could help me out with that to.

UIO only deals with the HUD and menus, so it is not related.

Assuming the textures got properly installed in the correct folder, this is a pretty classic example of not having some form of "ArchiveInvalidation" or "BSA Redirection" active so the game uses the new "loose" files instead of the vanilla ones in the BSA. (This post explains the situation quite well.) If you are using a "mod manager" (and you should), then check on how it has you enable that feature. I do not recommend trying to "roll-it-on-your-own".

-Dubious-

The red exclamation point means the game can't find the texture file for an object mesh. Either the texture file is not in the location (path) the mesh is saying to look for it in, or the mesh has the wrong path. The latter happens when the mod author uses absolute (i.e. "C:\Games\FNV\Data\meshes", etc.) instead of relative to the Data folder (i.e. "..\meshes") paths.

The only place I see "eyebrow" textures in FCO is in the path "..\textures\characters\drumber\brows". If you don't see nine ".dds" files there, then you failed to install some or you are missing an optional file with them.

Looking at the "Bugs" forum on the FCO download page I see 6 reports of eyebrow problems since January this year. There is no response from the author on any of those reports, which generally means it's working fine for them and the problem is specific to the user. From that low a number of reports, it's not likely to be a "pathing" problem.

Some worked out that their problem was not having the latest version of NVSE installed. If all the files are present, then this is the most likely cause.

Load Order is unlikely to cause a problem with a missing texture, as the last mod installed with the same texture file name would overwrite the earlier file, and that path would work for any mesh calling for that texture file. You might get a different texture than expected, but not a missing one.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I see 9 images of the eyebrow textures but i dont know if there dds. So what should I do to fix this?

See this for Windows 10. Or search the built-in "Help" for your Windows version on "show extensions". But those are probably DDS files, or at least that's what they should be in that folder.

The Eyebrows reference in the XML file is to display for menu selection during character creation. It would be using those textures.

If the files are present and you have ArchiveInvalidation/BSA Redirection enabled, NVSE would seem to be the issue. What does your "NVSE.log" file (in the "FalloutNV" folder, not "Data") say?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I looked and there is no FalloutNV folder, only and FalloutNV type icon, the application, and Fallout NV launcher, so I typed in on the search bar of file explorer NVSE.log and it only showed the results of nvse type text document, nvse_steam_loader type text document, pn_nvse type text document, and nvse_loader type text document

Sorry I wasn't clearer. By "FalloutNV" folder I meant the "<install path>\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas" folder. Where the "Fallout NV launcher.exe" is located.

If you do not find a NVSE.LOG file there, then NVSE is not getting launched. Are you starting your game by running "nvse_loader.exe"? (If you are using "FNV4GB.exe" then it should detect it and do this for you automatically.) If not, please try that and check for the log.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent