Who else hates the way synth armor looks?

Fatalmasterpiece

I think its intended that way. Think of it. The institute is science-related. Therefore the main goal is function not design. So: A piece of metal, hammered into one big plate works fine. For function, there is no need to cut, laser, hammer edges and style into a plate.

They created synths, and then they realized, they need some protection for outdoor missions. Synth armor is pure function. No scientist member cares, how synth armor looks like, and the synths wear, what they supposed to.

So,i think, its they way it has to be. The institute is not military related. They dont care for comfort, or something else for the troops. And cool looking offers no extra protection.

No, it doesn't 'work fine'. Look at the Light armor - it doesn't provide any chest protection whatsoever. The left arm doesn't even change your character model any, such when that was my first piece of Synth armor I thought 'oh crap, Bethesda made it so the Synth armor pieces actually represent you replacing your limbs with synthetic limbs - it's invisible armor!'

I was, of course, wrong. The Synth armor pieces are just bracelets, anklets, and a necklace - all areas that need no armor.

An armor replacer for the Synth armor would be excellent - give them something that actually looks like it could protect you, rather than something that leaves all your vulnerable areas exposed. If you want to make it so the armor still leaves lots of areas uncovered, make it so the armor creates an energy shield instead of providing armor protection - but do something about the god-awful models.

The thing is it lacks logical design choices that would make it feasible. This is a Post real WWII world. Sloped and ceramic armor became a staple as a result of the war. They would know better than just to put a single plate on the chest.

Now it also lacks any look of being salvaged off of synths themselves, which kind of negates what would have been a logical step in making the armor, taking the superior quality material the synth is made of and using it to create armor for yourself.