Heavy Traffic ×

Creation Kit - Strings packaged in BA2 archive aren't read

Cirosan

I made a post about this on the Bethsoft forums, but the thread has kinda gotten bogged down in arguments - and besides, I figure the more people I ask, the better. I'd also like to stress that I'm not planning on removing FDI from the Nexus or anything, I'm just trying to prepare for console ports, and getting stuff to work on the Bethesda platform is part of that.

Anyways, I'm preparing to release FDI on the Bethesda site, but I've hit a snag I can't seem to get around: .strings files, even when included in an archive with an uploaded mod, do not override the .strings files in the Strings folder. Meaning that even if changes are made to .strings files in the archive, it doesn't amount to a thing because the game appears to prioritize the contents of the Strings folder. In any other circumstance this wouldn't be a problem - just put altered .strings in the folder directly - but on the Bethesda platform that obviously isn't an option.

I've taken a look at other mods available on this platform that alter strings of text, but all those alterations seem to be hard-baked into the related .esp rather than using a .strings file.

Is there any way to force the .strings files in a BA2 archive to override those in the Strings folder, as everything else in an archive seems to behave?

Right now it does seem like you're out of luck - loose files always take precedence over those in archives.

However, if your intention for the version on Beth.net is for consoles, you might want to hold out still - who's to say that console versions will have the same folder structure as PC? Perhaps consoles have their strings in archive format as well - only way to find out is to test it out when Beth actually opens up their platform for consoles.

@mcguffin - I've only recently found out that it *is* possible to have INI settings packaged with a mod! Any *.ini file in the root Data folder with the right syntax (can be in BA2 archives) will be recognized and have its effects merged with the main Fallout4.ini file.

@registrator2000 - Would you mind sharing this method of packaging .ini files to be written? Could come in handy in the future, even if this particular .strings problem doesn't work out.

Barring that, I'm inclined to agree with mcguffin and say that there's no way to do it, currently. If worse comes to worst, however, I can always bake the text changes directly in the .esp and override the topic names. It'll be messy and a compatibility nightmare, but it's better than nothing. Still a chance the consoles might have a different file structure, though.