I accidentally a whole new storyline for all kinds of crazy good

tartarsauce2

THIS EMERGED AS I STARTED MENTIONING NUANCE IN GAME FACTIONS, AND IT JUST KEPT BUILDING, I COULD NOT STOP, READ AND I PROMISE IT'LL BE GOOD
I DESIRED... THE FALLOUT 1-2 QUEST HUBS TOWN SYSTEM OF SORTS, WITH GENUINE DIFFERENCES IN STORYLINES BASED ON WHAT YOU DID WITH DIFFERENT AREAS
I'M SORRY FOR DISORGANIZED NATURE AND STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS LAYOUT, THAT'S EXACTLY HOW IT WAS CREATED WITH MULTIPLE EDITS

I mean, here, let's play some really weird ideas out
what if "father" knew that kellogg was like the BoS in his attitudes sorta, and kept him in check or used him to keep other fellows like the BoS in check in the region, what if the institute could destroy the underground railroad but chose not to because they were aware of their own failings to an extent but unsure of how exactly to take the next move, what if the underground was struggling and killing as much as they save only because they were so pinned down and in order to keep the flame alive they had to make some rather bad choices (donner party cannibalism style)? what if the brotherhood of steel were aware of the fallout tactics "non-canon" stuff involving the LUDICROUS dangers of technology run amok in earnest (it's a mod you're making, you can include further elements of the ideas) - and remember that FO:tactics dangers of technology do involve human minds in charge of the situation

what if the brotherhood's faction that's around was merely the most militant, and there are other more traditional brotherhood of steel members in the region somehow
I read up on caesar in NV (never played the game) his backstory, where he comes from, that was also a group that was not villainous in fallout 1, neither was the BoS
think about it, what happened? how did those two groups become... so... what we see now

what if the synths genuinely are dangerous to an extent, what if raider factions were creeping in on more civilized territories making life worse and worse in reality, as a new way of life
what if the legions splintered but that was the origins of the raider creep that leads into more and more dire consequences, making the fallout NV protagonist the cause of the commonwealth's misery
this seems like automatron's element, but no, automatron's is much more simplistic in an earnest sense, this situation is more nuanced and complicated, maybe the synths were part of a "D-Day attempt" deployed properly but damaged and then gone haywire due to combat, due to design flaws for early generation synths because of an attempt that if not for this factor, would've SUCCESSFULLY wiped out the raiders' power base and then the army of synths could be recalled and done away with, while successive synth generations were purposefully being built with an intent on creating AI as they are, but the disaster led to a different line of reasoning and thinking within the institute that mutated into what we see today the de facto slave society because they saw a necessity for control over their creations, that first emerged as fear and regret, but then became institution-alized over generations as they forgot what the actual events were like and about :wink:

this would, even allow tie-ins to automatron probably, making for a more compelling storyline for those with the automatron DLC, but you could make a lite version for those without as well
I WANT THIS GOD DAMN AMAZING STORYLINE THAT I HAVEN'T OUTLINED BUT HAVE HOPEFULLY GIVEN IDEAS FOR

I suspect some sort of tribal section for the raiders would be interesting as well, maybe they're completely foreign to the whole thing in a sense, they're just like "wtf is this whole mess we just want to live our own way but they keep invading our lands" kind of thing, while at the same time they live sucky lives and tend to be unreasonably more aggressive than the other groups even amongst each other

while the super mutants could have their own thing going on, maybe a BoS/super mutant veterans of the original wars, gone tired kind of thing, like with marcus and his friend in FO2 (a faction unto itself as well)
-------------
so that you have
the institute, the minutemen, the tribals, the BoS, the underground, the raiders, the super mutants, the sorry veterans (super mutant and old BoS who are exhausted of a never ending war and finding themselves more and more in line with their so called enemies in the field than those in the society they left to protect - it happens a lot in wars)

you could even have diamond city turn from just biggest city into something with manipulative intentions on creating its own empire by playing various sides, damn whoever's the mayor, diamond city reigns supreme!

I'd imagine the sorry veterans could be a subset of the minutemen probably to flesh the minutemen out, whereas the tribals and minutemen could have serious beef and the raiders could be a little more "good guys" in a really sick and twisted way because they're more tolerant of the tribals than the minutemen are, while still being... raiders... :tongue:
---------------------------
this way you go from 3 mega factions to 6
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1) tribals and raiders that you kind of get a "less bad than usual" resolution that can negotiate with other factions (but them being so independent guarantees a bunch will never accept you)

2) minutemen with a sorry veterans (old BoS and supermutants tired of fighting each other but still are colossal jerks to anything "different" as per how they naturally are) sideboost to their lines through quests

3) the BoS - slightly better reasons than before
4) the institute - slightly better reasons than before

5) the underground - kind of 'as-is' but a little more desperate for real, probably find ways to make them avoid catastrophe and reach out to other groups with the new 6 mega-faction system, maybe the ways they reach out are dishonest and cruel a bit more to villainize them a bit - anarchists aren't always known for their kindness after all to be fair but they do appreciate how terrible the system can be as well

6) diamond city -a city-state with an uneasy alliance with super mutants(the only nonplayable faction but you do negotiations with them as diamond city's lackeys like zorg and those whatchamacallits from 5th element on the sly, to take down the rest with them then backstab said supermutants because they're stupid

and now you can actually have factions pissed off that you can't be around or with, for real, without ruining the game
and it will make sense that supermutants, raiders, synths and BoS will ALWAYS HATE YOU on some level
and now even the minutemen are a real faction, but not necessarily likeable
AND tribals exist again! like they always should!
remember, the trick to fallout is that everything and everyone is terrible in some way or another

Edited by tartarsauce2

well that's a relief, I might've OD'd on caffreine slightly when writing this after taking 2 days of semi-breaks from it
one of the things that always bothered me about FO4 is that there's not consequences with messing with areas like in FO1-2, and yet at the same time the factional system is such that you can't really just tell them to screw off or you miss a lot of the action
the idea here is to sort of reinstate that "relation of importance" between factions similar to how towns were as quest hubs, while getting things bigger - so that you still miss that much of the action, but there's so much that it's like... ehh, ehhh you know... and there's more styles to play through in earnest, factional specializations in vendors/loot etc would be a thing too

like, perhaps bonuses to charisma would help the diamond city'er with prices and diplomacy and a boost to melee and unarmed damage (10%, swatters!)

raiders and tribals really put the heat on with some melee types/swarms, give ya 5% extra health, 10% slower sprint drain of AP plus a raiders/tribals kind of flare thing

minutemen are kind of like gunners comparitively (fewer of them) - gives you +1 perception, 5% less VATS usage across the board + those flaregun things

BoS, institute, more or less as they are, although LZ institute mod makes for some great great synths - BoS gives 5% ER, 5% ballistic damage, institute gives 5% DR and 5% energy damage, easier access to munitions of the more expensive sort, ballistic for BoS, energy for institute (I know the ER/DR thing seems reversed but it's for balance)

someone made a fairly immersive sewers fast travel mod for the underground railroad as well - they could get the ability to bribe people, ballistic weave would need to make a comeback as primary (incompatible clothing with armours for the undergrounds' bonuses but you could still use armour for combat specific events) the ability to bribe people, sneak bonuses, perception bonuses or like double/triple clothing bonuses when not *carrying* armour of a combat nature (really force you to play as underground)

BoS's lilttle task set of acquiring farm loyalties could really fit in with the tribals/minutemen being antagonized, as BoS you could find yourself eventually antagonizing people so much that you end up facing super mutants (diamond city bribed forces) with heavy weapons and tribals as a skirmisher force (not mutant skirmishers but the actual job) - and then you could boost power armours stats so that the BoS is less of an army with huge logistics and more of a (admittedly few but powerful) strike force that has to rely on auxiliaries and auxilia - making the gunners a valuable mercenary company to try to earn the favour of - while you'll still get similar enemies via the minutemen (although slightly different) - even as the institute is aware of all going on more or less and will strike your main bases or annihilate your outer colonies as you fight off the more mundane forces
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxilia

then the institute could use an infiltration system through the caravan networks, as it doesn't need basic guardsmen for their control points when the heat gets on and hiding where your bases are isn't quite the option it used to be, making the underground/institute conflict a lot more about spy and counterspy

if a mod like this were handled right, it could even be continuously adapted to fit in with the DLC's and have a more and more full world as DLC's came in
it should feel like whatever sides you're picking, you're ruffling feathers and the world accomodates what you're doing, you'd almost be safer not picking up any sides' or doing massive diplomacy, but if you want a warpath it should be one hell of a good time

guess this'd require the karma system and some other things to be thought of as well while going through with this... one might end up seeing the children of the atom with super mutants because they're both all about the nuke cleansing the earth of life (albeit with some differences you could exploit.... it's a rough alliance) - they wouldn't be the final boss enemy, nor a playable sect unless someone really stepped up to make it happen... but...
maybe the children figured out how to control a few numbers of ghouls... :wink: nightmares ensue

Edited by tartarsauce2