File Front archiving in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #39384620. #39390810, #39439100, #39440610, #39616270, #39671975, #39819120 are all replies on the same post.

jeyjs wrote: but i thought that without the mod authors permission, thats stealing according to nexus rules. dose that mean the rules have changed and we can take mods that are abandoned without asking the no longer around original author first? like take the mod, fix its issues, bugs and add features to keep the mod alive if we give credit to the original author?.
Xephyr117 wrote: Well s#*!. You're right.
Zaldiir wrote: No. This was about preservation of mods. Without this effort, those mods would possibly be lost forever. And that is something different entirely.
Craddle wrote: He may refer to the notice at the bottom of each archived mod "If you wish to claim this file as your own [..]".

Without violating the respective copyrights (whatever applies here) only the original author will be able to do that (unless explicitly stated otherwise). I'm wondering however, how the nexusstaff plans to ensure that he or she is the original author if someone tries to claim a mod.
barnardm71 wrote: Don't be a douche...
koriandersES wrote: Stealing an artifact from someone else's home and selling it under your name is theft.

Saving an artifact from certain destruction and putting it in a museum is preservation.

This is kind of like... tomb raiding, which is acceptable for historical and preservatorial purposes in my opinion.

If the mod authors don't want to, for some reason, compromise in the face of armageddon and would rather see their work disappear, I'm sure they can have their mods removed from preservation if they just ask.
MrAwesome54 wrote: Yup, I agree. I don't think that paleontologists ask the dinosaurs if they could take their bones, hmm? I'm glad Nexus is saving mods for those classic games, it's not like you could find them anywhere else. Most of the mod authors have probably long forgotten their mod even existed, and even if not, if i recall Gamefront wasn't exactly supplied the author's email or anything for contact.

Don't folks still "Brand" their work with a bit of unused code here or there that just says: "Yo this is mine," in so many words?...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #39713565. #39713835, #40577930 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote: Everything about this stinks. The Nexus is currently on a crusade to thwart mod piracy on consoles.....yet the Nexus is now the largest OFFICIAL repository for pirated mods on the internet. And that's precisely what these are...stolen, pirated mods that have been uploaded without securing permission from the individual mods' authors. Just because you're saving them from oblivion doesn't give you the right to upload them here without the expressed permission of each and every author whose mods you have "preserved". "Act now and ask for forgiveness later" is massively hypocritical when you're currently barking at Bethesda to make decisive action on console piracy.

Some of these FileFront authors will certainly be fine with their mods being on this site. But I know for a fact that many are not. Sure, they can contact you to have their mods removed, but the burden shouldn't fall on those mod authors to deal with that any more than Skyrim/FO4 authors should have to file DMCAs with Bethesda.net. You should have contacted them first. Then there is the matter of the thousands of mod authors who may never even know their files are on here at all. Stealing from someone without their knowledge is still stealing.

This isn't about saving archaeology from the ravages of time. These files didn't have to be uploaded immediately upon acquisition. You could have very easily archived these files and spent time securing the necessary permissions from the content creators before you uploaded them. But that wouldn't generate any hits or ad revenue for the website, would it?

You are delivering a hypocritical mixed message about mod piracy and authors' rights, and it is exceedingly damaging to the credibility of this site and this community. You simply cannot be opposed to mod piracy with one hand while actively engaging in mod piracy on your own website with the other. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.
Dark0ne wrote: I respect your opinion being different, but we fundamentally disagree with your interpretation. You've made it clear you won't be swung on this topic, and neither shall we.

Stick to this thread or the other one, but if you continue to cross post your opinion around the various threads currently active then they will be moderated.
axonis wrote: His point, however, raises another one you can't simply disagree and be done with. What about their permissions ?

For example, I see that in nexusmods.com/starwarsbattlefront/mods/260 you're stating that "You are not allowed to upload this file to other sites under any circumstances". Who said that ? The original author or Nexusmods ?

I, for one, would be glad that you are saving these old mods. As a mod author in BF2, it would bring me joy in seeing my old work saved. Authors spend an untold amount of time developing their work for it to just get deleted.

So, Rock On Guys!!!

• 1 month later...
In response to post #39713565. #39713835, #40577930, #41621455 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote: Everything about this stinks. The Nexus is currently on a crusade to thwart mod piracy on consoles.....yet the Nexus is now the largest OFFICIAL repository for pirated mods on the internet. And that's precisely what these are...stolen, pirated mods that have been uploaded without securing permission from the individual mods' authors. Just because you're saving them from oblivion doesn't give you the right to upload them here without the expressed permission of each and every author whose mods you have "preserved". "Act now and ask for forgiveness later" is massively hypocritical when you're currently barking at Bethesda to make decisive action on console piracy.

Some of these FileFront authors will certainly be fine with their mods being on this site. But I know for a fact that many are not. Sure, they can contact you to have their mods removed, but the burden shouldn't fall on those mod authors to deal with that any more than Skyrim/FO4 authors should have to file DMCAs with Bethesda.net. You should have contacted them first. Then there is the matter of the thousands of mod authors who may never even know their files are on here at all. Stealing from someone without their knowledge is still stealing.

This isn't about saving archaeology from the ravages of time. These files didn't have to be uploaded immediately upon acquisition. You could have very easily archived these files and spent time securing the necessary permissions from the content creators before you uploaded them. But that wouldn't generate any hits or ad revenue for the website, would it?

You are delivering a hypocritical mixed message about mod piracy and authors' rights, and it is exceedingly damaging to the credibility of this site and this community. You simply cannot be opposed to mod piracy with one hand while actively engaging in mod piracy on your own website with the other. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.
Dark0ne wrote: I respect your opinion being different, but we fundamentally disagree with your interpretation. You've made it clear you won't be swung on this topic, and neither shall we.

Stick to this thread or the other one, but if you continue to cross post your opinion around the various threads currently active then they will be moderated.
axonis wrote: His point, however, raises another one you can't simply disagree and be done with. What about their permissions ?

For example, I see that in nexusmods.com/starwarsbattlefront/mods/260 you're stating that "You are not allowed to upload this file to other sites under any circumstances". Who said that ? The original author or Nexusmods ?
outlaw5067 wrote: I, for one, would be glad that you are saving these old mods. As a mod author in BF2, it would bring me joy in seeing my old work saved. Authors spend an untold amount of time developing their work for it to just get deleted.

So, Rock On Guys!!!

While I agree that technicaly this is against rules... the moment where you have to say "technicaly" it ussualy means that it is not ideal answer.

At the same time, simple fact is that you took mods from diferent site and uploaded them on nexus without asking their owners.

You can have any excuse you want, it does not change that taking mod of someone else and reuploading it without permision is not allowed by your own rules (which stands for reason)

Can you please explain how was this "preservation" act different from uploading mod from modder who deleted his works "in name of preservation"?

It seems rather unfair expecting from mod owners to have awareness of your own actions concering their mods.

As consumer I absolutely love your move. Just week ago I reinstalled C&C Generals ZH (quite suprised that my CDs worked and that patches were still availible) and was very happy to find out that many mods for this game were preserved.

But if I take away my personal interest in this (ie wanting mods for my games) it seems overally unfair.

I am convinced that there was no ill intent with this act but it still was bit of screw up. Even though loosing thousands of mods may seem as harsh price, who are you to determine that those mods must exist no matter what their owners may or may not want?
If their authors would want those mods availible, they is nothing that would stop them from reuploading them by themselve.
If they are abandoned, what gives you right to adopt them without permision?

Honestly you will probably reach similiar conclusion as me about this situation that best course of action would be to leave files uploaded, put out some public apology for your well meaned yet controversial actions where you will put furhter explanations and details and after few months almost nobody will care anymore.

In response to post #39713565. #39713835, #40577930, #41621455, #42846410 are all replies on the same post.

outlaw5067 wrote: I, for one, would be glad that you are saving these old mods. As a mod author in BF2, it would bring me joy in seeing my old work saved. Authors spend an untold amount of time developing their work for it to just get deleted.

So, Rock On Guys!!!
Iglix wrote: While I agree that technicaly this is against rules... the moment where you have to say "technicaly" it ussualy means that it is not ideal answer.

At the same time, simple fact is that you took mods from diferent site and uploaded them on nexus without asking their owners.

You can have any excuse you want, it does not change that taking mod of someone else and reuploading it without permision is not allowed by your own rules (which stands for reason)

Can you please explain how was this "preservation" act different from uploading mod from modder who deleted his works "in name of preservation"?

It seems rather unfair expecting from mod owners to have awareness of your own actions concering their mods.

As consumer I absolutely love your move. Just week ago I reinstalled C&C Generals ZH (quite suprised that my CDs worked and that patches were still availible) and was very happy to find out that many mods for this game were preserved.

But if I take away my personal interest in this (ie wanting mods for my games) it seems overally unfair.

I am convinced that there was no ill intent with this act but it still was bit of screw up. Even though loosing thousands of mods may seem as harsh price, who are you to determine that those mods must exist no matter what their owners may or may not want?
If their authors would want those mods availible, they is nothing that would stop them from reuploading them by themselve.
If they are abandoned, what gives you right to adopt them without permision?

Honestly you will probably reach similiar conclusion as me about this situation that best course of action would be to leave files uploaded, put out some public apology for your well meaned yet controversial actions where you will put furhter explanations and details and after few months almost nobody will care anymore.

Stuff it, bud.