Improving the Blades

Logiwink

Kairo29 - If there is a particular idea you liked why not go ahead and sketch out a basic plot for it and post it, otherwise I'll keep you on the list.

As for the Septim Blood line, the lore definitely supports there being no linear descendants of Uriel Septim VII. However, if it was a popular idea there is no reason we couldn't go with any of a large number of other people who could probably trace their heritage to Tiber Septim. That being said I'm not particularly enamored with the idea and no one else has posted in strong support of it, so it's really low on the list right now.

Right now I envision the "Reforging the Blades" questline to start after the death of Alduin. Having proved his might and cunning defeating Alduin the player is now worthy of being appointed the "Edge of the Blades" a rarely-bestowed title for a person tasked with redefining the Blades in the face of new challenges. As Delphine said, the Blades had largely lacked a purpose since the death of Martin Septim. They spent most of their time opposing the Thalmor, but with Imperial capitulation it begins to seem that the Empire the Blades once fought for is rapidly fading away. They claim the Dragonborn is their new purpose but in the current storyline, once you kill Alduin it's not clear what the heck the Blades are for anymore. They seem content to sit in Sky Haven Temple waiting for you to bring followers to them while giving you high and mighty orders about how you should go kill Paarthurnax. They don't need a leader, they need a guide, someone to show them the path that they will walk.

Convince the Blades to support the Imperial Army seems unlikely in the extreme since they are under the thumb of the Thalmor. Supporting Ulfric is unpalatable as well. Perhaps the way is to focus on defending the interests of humans against the Elves. Sort of like an Elder Scrolls version of Cerberus from Mass Effect, but with a sense of morality.

I love killing the Thalmor, just the way I loved killing Slavers in Fallout. The part of the questline I will probably claim for myself is a series of mission striking at Thalmor resources in Skyrim.

As for adding-on quests to the three main factions (Companions, Thieves, College of Winterhold), one thing at a time. The Blades have been short-changed on quests in both Oblivion and Skyrim and are getting my first attention. If this project goes well I might turn my attention to making a mod for people who like to play Archmage. For one, I'm tired of walking around in my archmage getup only to be greeted by "So you can cast a few spells, should I be impressed?" from the f'ing guards... :)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a lost bloodline of Talos? That might work better, since as far as I've read, not much is known about him before he began his campaign to create the Empire.

Okay, I think I'll need to finish the main quest first lol, so I have the main plot pts of Skyrim down. I think there is potential in a storyline of The Blades returning to glory and redefining their purpose and place in the world. They want to give orders (which I need to see happen for myself before I go too deeply into story elements) but the Dovahkiin is now a hero. Ulfric seems to have ulterior motives so I don't think he should be king, and the Thalmor is the next most important threat along with the remaining dragons I think. What if part of the Blades story involved progress away from a monarchy as is the standard for the empire, and touched on some key figures trying to establish the best direction for the empire, and how to reconcile with followers who believe in the stormcloak ideals. Bringing the children of Skyrim back to the drawing table with the empire maybe the instability of the white-gold concordat could be put to the test.

Maybe a reintroduction to the Aldmeri Dominion and war with them...or the story could involve fleshed out NPCs and the new movement to removing the Thalmor's grip from mankinds genitals. Representatives of Hammerfell could play a role in such a story being that they just recently signed a treaty with the Thalmor. But theres most likely still bad blood there.

Some concepts that could be visited are:

1) Elves who want no part in the division btwn man and elf that the Thalmor's actions could incite

2) Hammerfell and what they're going to do now

3) Skyrim and its relationship with the Empire. What will happen with stormcloak supporters...will the bad blood between them and the empire be settled any time soon?

4) There are still dragons, what happens with that?

5) The Thalmor. Their governing of the Aldmeri Dominion and what that entails after the events of Elder Scrolls IV.

6) The Khajiit are apparently not on bad terms with the Aldmeri Dominion, right? According to the wiki they formed friendly relationships in Elsweyr. Will the Khajiit aid the Thalmor in their agenda if promised more land? They aren't trusted and aren't treated the best as it stands anyway, I think. They might be hungry for expansion.

7) The dragonborn and his place in the world. Some people might think (s)he should be the new king. Does Dovahkiin want this? Or would he rather encourage a new way to govern the lands of Tamriel along with the support of the Blades as a council.

How do you think you will construct a story that won't really interfere with possible canon we'll see in future expansions/DLCs? I think exploring the Blades thought process and plan of action regarding these things is an interesting setup. Will they return to honor and be of use to Tamriel and rooting out the forces that drive the Aldmeri Dominion's invasions and land conquest?

These are just ideas I'm throwing out there. I never played Morrowind, only Oblivion (no expansions tho), and that was a while ago so my grip on lore isn't the best. I'd have to read up and see where plot questions arise. Also apologize if I have any lore facts incorrect, this was a quick braindump of everything in my head. I'm sure beating main quest in Skyrim will help the development of more well-thought out ideas too...

Edited by Kairo29

Fighting mean ass elves is pretty fun in any case lol.

Also, I'm assuming if the Blades were to become relevant again maybe they'd want to expand? A portion of the story could include recruiting. Maybe originally the Blades act as a small group (like the Fellowship of the Ring in LOTR) with different representatives. I dont know how multicultural they are in Skyrim as of now (since Im not there yet) but maybe the swaying of different peoples to a cause could be touched on. Recruiting willing ppl from towns and introducing a larger number of NPCs to the game world would be cool if possible. I'm also assuming with the greatest dragon threat defeated, the death rate might decrease in Skyrim. *shrug* even if none of these ideas sound appealing, I'd love to help in any way possible :) PM me anytime.

Edited by Kairo29

+1 for you sir. Anything that enhances story is something I want. I write as well, and if you ever wanted to run ideas by me and talk about script, let me know. I write fiction for fun, and would love to be of help if you need it. I might even try to learn how to do some modding because I would love to create some questlines myself...with voice work and everything. :)

OMG, this is so true. I saw it as a big FU to the players for being a hero and saving the ENTIRE WORLD! They are telling me to kill someone based on nothing but blind speculation or they won't talk to me? What the hell is that? Also, she tells me she found out he is a dragon after showing up at the temple, okay, question, how did she find out? The gray beards sure as hell didn't tell her and I'm pretty sure she didn't climb to the peak because her flesh would have been blasted off her bones. I now know I'm not the first person to call BS on this one. I'm not sure who was writing that part of the script; but, I'd like to punch them in the face just for the absurdity of it. I hope a modder out there who sees the flaw in this part of the story will correct this huge mistake; it was the one part of the game that made me cringe with disgust.

The graybeards didn't exactly hide the name of their leader, and Paarthurnax isn't really a man or mer name...putting 2 & 2 together, it must be a dragon name, and since the Blades have records on most dragon names, they figured it out.

3) Skyrim and its relationship with the Empire. What will happen with stormcloak supporters...will the bad blood between them and the empire be settled any time soon?

I would like someone to create a Dark Brotherhood contract with Ulfrics name on it, we can then go kill him, and the Jarls that support him, but do nothing for the people, which there are a few. Off the top of my head, Morthal and Markarth are only in it for themselves, I've all ready taken Ulfric and the new Jarl of Morthal out, don't know if they'll be replaced which is what I would like to see. If you kill a new Jarl after the Empire is driven out of Skyrim, they should be replaced with the one who came before.

4) There are still dragons, what happens with that?

On the topic of the remaining dragons, we could use the records the Blades have in the libaray, and use the names we have to make more shouts to challenge the dragons we know. With each challenge, we gain a new ally, they will have to follow the Dragonborn, or die and lose their soul. And as the most powerful user of the voice at the moment, I think they will choose to serve, like Odahviing.

7) The dragonborn and his place in the world. Some people might think (s)he should be the new king. Does Dovahkiin want this? Or would he rather encourage a new way to govern the lands of Tamriel along with the support of the Blades as a council.

I would like the Dragonborn to become the new ruler, for the simple fact that it is basicly his birthright, as one with the Dragonblood, the Empire is his, he MAY not be a direct decendant of Talos, but as they share the same blood, he should still be the next leader of the Empire, but there should be some changes, the Blades will have a role as a council, helping you in the day to day rule as you go about your adventures.

Kairo29 - I really like a lot of your ideas, unfortunately what you propose almost sounds like an entire new game!! Recruiting is definitely going to be a centerpiece of the new questline. And not just warriors - the Reforged Blades require mages, smiths, enchanters, alchemists, etc. The hope would be that as you recruit new non-combat Blades they would offer their services at Sky Haven Temple. So you recruit a smith and then you can buy blades-style weapons and armor. You recruit a mage and can get scrolls, potions, soul gems etc.

I like the idea of reaching out to other factions that have been neglected in the major questlines like the Khajit, forming alliances for future blades actions. Currently, I'd like to keep this questline away from the High King of Skyrim, whether that would mean making the Dovahkiin the king or ousting Tullius or Ulfric. At this point I don't feel that's in the scope of this project. I am to give an experience that will allow those who want to be a true Blade and play as such a place to do that.

As for avoiding Lore inconsistencies, I can only work with what I know being Skyrim and all the previous lore. I'm sure that in the next ES game my mod won't completely jive with the role of the blades in the game - unless I do such a good job that the people at Bethesda decide to co-op some of my work - which would be the ultimate complement. However, that's not expected. I will be making ever effort to be 100% lore friendly with known lore.

Right now I think the main focus of the mod quests will be 1) convo options for the Paarthurnax thing + making Sky haven a viable home base 2) Taking the fight to the Thalmor 3) Recruiting/Rebuilding the Blades 4) Killing off remaining rogue dragons. That is already going to be a huge effort and I think I'm not going to take on additional content unless I drop one of those, or I have some really enthusiastic project partners.

NobadeeFTW - thanks for the support, that one conversation with Delphine started this entire mod idea - just cause I was so mad at her for ordering me around after I killed f'ing Alduin!

Draco856 - Yes, a lost bloodline of Talos would be a good option. Perhaps one that has recently distinguished itself on a small scale, catching the notice of the Blades. You wouldn't have to even have plans to put them on the throne anytime soon but could just focus on guarding them from threats - like Thalmor Assassins! Kill the Elves!

Agreed, more blades, more people, more stuff...more reasons to kill or not kill Paarthunaax...

we need to tell the blades to calm down and get out of the big boy pants...

Kairo29 - I really like a lot of your ideas, unfortunately what you propose almost sounds like an entire new game!! Recruiting is definitely going to be a centerpiece of the new questline. And not just warriors - the Reforged Blades require mages, smiths, enchanters, alchemists, etc. The hope would be that as you recruit new non-combat Blades they would offer their services at Sky Haven Temple. So you recruit a smith and then you can buy blades-style weapons and armor. You recruit a mage and can get scrolls, potions, soul gems etc.

Haha I totally understand, it def sounds like an entirely new game. I don't mean for any of those ideas to be fully fleshed out in a mod of course. I just think it feels more right when a questline has some sort of climax and resolution, but doesn't feel like "Okay, well. Thanks. That's all. Bye." If it's a little open ended almost like "There may be more to this someday" it feels more natural because there will be more work to do in the story, just not playable at the moment. I guess imagination plays a role at that point. I definitely like the idea of recruiting non combat Blades members. And it's good that you're narrowing your focus because obviously you can't create another 50 hrs of content lol (although if you could, you'd obviously prove your dragon blood courses through your veins).

The main idea behind my suggestions are story elements and questions that seem natural for someone in the world of Skyrim to ask, experience, or consider. Not that a whole questline would fully flesh out any of these, but to see it raised in any kind of dialogue, document, or small parts of the quest sounds plausible. Is it possible to create an NPC using mod tools? If so, for example, it would be cool to see an elf that maybe is skilled in fletching and bow construction that wants to join the cause because he or she isn't down for the Thalmor agenda. Maybe the other Blades members would be hesitant. Things like that. The interactions and believable reactions and opinions of characters makes it sweeter.

Love where you're going with your idea so far though. Sky Haven as a strong base makes too much sense.

Kairo - I think I see where you're going with bringing out some of the Thalmor-Blades tension into some conversations and using tie-ins with the wider political situation to make the questline seem more three-dimensional. Come to think of it, the Blades didn't even flinch when I brought Faendal in to join up...that's a bit weird considering their history with Elves.

Draco - I love the idea of hunting down and beating named dragons and bringing them into your service. As for making the Dovahkiin the King of Skyrim that sounds like a different mod. If you want to do a mod that revolves around the Dragonborn's ascent to the throne and wanted to work to dovetail it with this Blades mod I'm working on I'd be all for that. For now I think I'd be overreaching to take that on as well, however.