How can I make an existing Apothecary Merchant sell a new book?

I am planning on making an alchemy book mod and I would like Arcadia to sell it. How can I do this in Creation Kit without causing incompatibilities with other mods?

I tried adding a new chest with a random book in for testing and assigning that chest to a new vendor faction and adding that faction to Arcadia but it did not work - she didn't sell books. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way of doing it?

Never tried this so, gonna take a blind guess here ...

Each vendor has a chest they use to hold their wares, find that (should be right around where they are, like under the floor or ground or outside the shop in the cell).

Add your book the that chest and see what happens.

That will work with the AcardiaCauldron chest; but it will mean Ahlam will sell the book as well cos he uses that chest too. If your happy with that this is the simplest approach. I have discovered in the past that npcs do not like having access to two chests must be a CK thing.

I am sure you could probably script something but I doubt it would be straightforward.

Thanks guys, yes I think that will work (unless Apothecary Vendors can't sell books) however I'm worried that this method will cause conflicts with any other mod that edits Arcadia's chest... I may try this easy way but I'm starting to think the safest way will be to make a new merchant just to sell my book(s).

Thanks guys, yes I think that will work (unless Apothecary Vendors can't sell books) however I'm worried that this method will cause conflicts with any other mod that edits Arcadia's chest... I may try this easy way but I'm starting to think the safest way will be to make a new merchant just to sell my book(s).

Apothecary's don't sell Books, they sell Recipes so this idea won't work. You'll have to edit the VendorItemsApothecary form list and add the VendorItemBook keyword in order to have Arcadia sell any books. This will also affect any other Apothecary vendor in the game that uses that same formlist so be aware of that if you decide to do this.

Alternatively, your own merchant would be easier from a compatibility standpoint as you wouldn't have to worry about other mods if you create your own NPC and faction so you can set them to sell what you like.

Or you can direct your users to make a Merged Patch in TES5Edit as it will merge lists for you to resolve any mod conflict issues.

Edited by Urtho