Mod causing visual glitch, help required

Kasandria

I came to the forums searching for others that might have this weird visual glitch and it seems I might not be alone. I've recently started a fresh playthrough and I'm in Sanctuary building to my hearts delight but like a week ago I noticed a very odd visual glitch which is really annoying and game breaking. When I move my camera around in some places the screen blurs and multiplies what I'm seeing when I'm moving in a certain spot, it's hard to explain really, but I hope the screenshots help giving an idea of what I'm trying to say.

http://i.imgur.com/ahClUyn.png

http://i.imgur.com/qcYF4Os.png

http://i.imgur.com/wCpiUtt.png

I have found 2 other persons that might be having the same issue here : https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4675935-build-your-vault-mod-odd-visual-glitch/ but I'm not using the mod he mentions or the Simply Modular Housing one either. I do have quite a bunch of mods though 212 active plugins to be precise and I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue by disabling the mods one by one and loading up the game but I haven't had any luck pinpointing the mod that could be causing this. I do use LOOT to sort my load order and my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 if that helps. I'm not even sure it could be a mod related glitch at this point, I'm so lost.

I'd appreciate any help I could get since I've put so many hours into building Sanctuary now :/

Edited by Kasandria

As mentioned here any mod that alters a cell can cause issues. Its something to do with the game engine and not mods you have installed. Avoid using "scrapall" from the in game console, mods that alter Cells like Spring Cleaning, or Scrap mods that ask you to change bUseCombinedObjects=0. Using those things can cause unwanted results.

Thank you so much for the reply Sharlikran! I guess it could be Scrap Everything with the bUseCombinedObjects=0 edit. I'm going to do more troubleshooting tonight now that I finally have something to go on. Thanks again.

I ran into the same issue in Vault 88 days after it was released, after a LOT of experimenting and uninstalling I found out mine was caused by me deleting the static subway train in the Vault, I deleted the esp I had made and the "texture tripping" went away. I tried running everything through FO4edit, which showed no conflicts, but it seems deleting that 1 static object caused my whole vault to "texture trip".

There's another thread on the forum with people having the same issues, some of them are experiencing this from certain mods, but it seems that everyone hasn't experienced this until after Vault-Tec was released. IDK, maybe Bethesda did some tinkering again.

I don't profess to know everything but from what I see by Arthmoor and Zilav and a few others is that Bethesda designed the way Combined Objects work for a reason. However, it's not helping the modding community at all. I know people associate things with the release of a patch or DLC but how Combined Objects, which could be called a static mesh, have been used by the game really hasn't changed. However, according to Arthmoor in the thread I linked it's just gotten worse.

Edited by Sharlikran

LOOT doesn't sort every mod correctly. I've had to go in and manually place mods in your load order. To me, bUseCombinedObjects=0 is detrimental to game stability. I always have it set to 1 or remove the entry completely.

I don't use LOOT, it seems too unreliable, I've always manually sorted mine using Gambit77's guidelines and never had any problems with over 230 mods installed.

I agree, bUseCombinedObjects=0 is something to use very carefully, I usually only use it to scrap some eyesore out of the way then set it back to 1.

I read most of that article and Arthmoor's posts have helped me to understand a little better about combined objects, seems that the trade-off for better performance makes modding much more difficult.

The thing that made me think this was related to the Vault Tec release is with all the mods I use and the tons of stuff I've scrapped (I've got nearly 1600 hrs in FO4, I need a life!) I'd thought that I had seen every bug, visual glitch, ghosting, etc., but this "texture tripping" thing is something I've never seen before. My images looked just like Kasandrias', there's a guy on another thread, his looks like ours but his also has some weird colors mixed in and it looks look a bad acid trip, lol.

Thank you for the link Sharlikran, that article is very helpful! Also, Thank you for SKE. ;)

I've tried just about everything and every combination possible, including reverting back to older saves, but the glitch pops up anyway after a couple of hours of gameplay, so I'm guessing I had better start a new playthrough and without the bUseCombinedObjects=0 edit to start with so it doesn't end up corrupting my game :/ That article by Arthmoor does shed some light on what's happening with the combined objects and why it's probably a bad idea to edit that in the first place... sigh. I feel sorry for all these awesome modders that put so much effort into making our games so enjoyable and have so many sticks put in their wheels, it just makes me appreciate the effort they put into making mods much much more.

@Vormina For me the glitch started way before the Vault Tec dlc, I had updated some mods just before the glitch started so I thought maybe one of them was the culprit.

I've never had problems with load orders using LOOT in Skyrim, FNV and FO3, I usually do read the mod authors page though to see if the mod has to be placed at a certain point in the load order but I find LOOT helpful as a starting point when sorting mods.

Oh well, off I go to start another settlement building binge and see if everything goes smoothly this time. Thank you all for your input in this topic and I hope it can help others with the same visual glitch.