Save Game (PC) Bloat

BlueGunk

I have a dreadfully bloated save game (58Mb and rising). Mostly my own fault for having too many mods.

I use a few tools to keep things under control, and have used Save Game Script Scalpel to trim it down before (although was not sure of the results).

I also do things like trying not to nudge clutter, use a "Trash Can" mod to remove inventory clutter, etc., as well as keeping minimal inventory.

Might anyone please have some good tips for using Save Game Script Scalpel (or equivalent) to reduce bloat safely? I am sure I can take out a lot of repetitive old script instances like Weapon Rack, and Mine Furniture and safely reduce game save size.

But I'm a little hazy on the safest use of these tools.

Many thanks in advance, and hope the thread will assist others with rather flatulent game saves :happy:

Thanks Darstyler. Orphan scripts are the easy part. It's the deadwood within the save I'd like to clear down. I'm OK on all the usual mod stuff.

Do you run USKP or USLEEP? One of its (their) features is to link an NPC's weapon with its corpse otherwise, weapons can be left behind even after the game cleans up a cell's corpses after whatever time it resets, leading to save file bloat. That used to be the main function of a very popular mod called "Possessive Corpses" although it's arguably been rendered obsolete by the unofficial patches. I say "arguably" because I looked at that mod a while back and there were peeps who still said it was useful for some things. Leftover ash piles and nirnroot glows, if I recall correctly. On the subject of ashpiles, personally I installed another mod on top of USKP ("Ash Pile Expiration") to get rid of the ash piles within one day. It seemed USKP alone wasn't really doing the job.

Anyways, maybe that's all old news and you're using something to care of those types of things as, quite apart from scripts, they can cause awful bloating. (The mind boggles as to how Bethesda didn't clue in to that originally. These issues have been prevalent since FO3. Leftover weapons were still, remarkably, a "feature" of FO4 although they, albeit only partially, finally addressed the ashpile problem.)

It's worth mentioning that in time when savegame script scalpel & savetool weren't available - waiting for one month inside a small cell (like Honeyside) can be helpful (ocasionally)... once I was able to go from 89mb to only 15mb using this method ;)