Patch 1.3 vs uGridsToLoad

Zehryo

Oh yes!! Bethsy scored again!!!

Patch 1.3 got me by surprise and here we are again.

I've been playing with uGridsToLoad set to 8 for a while, now. Then somebody told me that number should be odd, so I was planning to move backward to 7.

Before I could change it, though, patch 1.3 came in. Now, when I do the "setini 'uGridsToLoad:general' 5" thing, new savegame and restart, Skyrim goes totally crazy!!!!! >.<

First of all, the imperial mark, the dragon symbol at the very first menu, is reddish!! And so are all the models shown during the savegame load up!! Then the game just CTD about 1-2 seconds after I've clicked to load the last savegame (or any other savegame).

What I've noticed by using the set/save/refreshini method:

-. Skyrim creates a new Skyrim.ini file inside the Data folder which reports a LOT more settings than normally

-. It just loads up from that .ini, that's why the reddish models

-. Deleting the new Skyrim.ini solves the reddish models, but not the CTD when using a uGridsToLoad=5/7 Skyrim.ini

-. By deleting the new Skyrim.ini and leaving uGridsToLoad set to 8, the game works fine

My conclusion: the set/save/refreshini method no longer works if you wanna set a new savegame with a lower uGridsToLoad value.

Do I have to start the game over after 180+ hours just because I wanna set a lower tweaked value!?!?!?

Any help!?!?!? =(

Edited by Zehryo

Sorry, if you go from a higher uGridsToLoad number to a lower number then none of your saves made with the higher number will work. No way around it I'm afraid, you'll just have to start a new game.

Please, read carefully here, where it explains how to tweak and revert the uGridsToLoad value.

Anybody who really knows how it works that can help me, please? =p

Okay then, here's a quote -

"uGrids

The worlds in Bethesda’s role-playing games are split into hundreds of thousands of sections (uGrids). By default, Skyrim loads the five nearest sections within your line of sight, plus the one your character inhabits. Beyond those five sections the entire world is rendered using low-detail trees, objects, and terrain, which, for the most part, cannot be modified or enhanced by .ini tweaks.

On a mid-to-high end system this setting can be tweaked, forcing the game to load seven sections, dramatically improving scene quality in many locations. Higher values, such as nine and eleven, are extremely unstable and therefore only recommended for users wanting to create wallpaper-worthy screenshots.

By rendering this extra detail your frame rate will be reduced (to what extent is impossible to say as this reduction can vary wildly from scene to scene). Furthermore, each section is loaded from the hard drive as a character moves through the world, and so higher uGrid values can cause hard drive thrashing, which may result in massive, temporary performance drops as the game catches up. On our Western Digital Caviar Black, 7200RPM drives this did not occur, but on slower ones it might, so your mileage with this tweak may vary.

One final caveat: altering the uGrid setting will modify your save game. If you ever wish to revert to a lower uGrid setting due to performance issues, the correct procedure must be followed to ensure that you do not make that save inaccessible, or possibly even corrupt, resulting in the complete loss of your character data and game progression. In all our tests we have followed these steps precisely and have never had a problem, but if this thought still scares you silly back up the entire ‘Saves’ folder in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim before you begin tweaking."

You can read the entire tweak here -

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/five-fast-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-guaranteed-to-make-your-game-look-even-better

Good luck.

Okay then, here's a quote -

[....bla, bla, bla....]

You can read the entire tweak here -

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/five-fast-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-guaranteed-to-make-your-game-look-even-better

Good luck.

MY PROBLEM IS THAT AFTER THE 1.3 PATCH, THE REVERT METHOD DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE, BRINGING TO CTD INSTEAD OF LOWERING THE ACTUAL uGrids VALUE!!!

PLEASE, READ CAREFULLY MY OP, I'M SAYING THAT I HAVE PROBLEMS REVERTING THE VALUE TO A LOWER ONE, NOT INCREASING IT!!!!

I CLEARLY SAID THAT I'VE INCREASED AND DECREASED THAT VALUE SEVERAL TIMES TO MAKE TESTS AND IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED, WITH BOTH ODD AND EVEN NUMBERS, BEFORE THE 1.3 PATCH CAME IN!!!!

PLEASE, READ CAREFULLY MY OP, THE PROBLEM IS NOT TWEAKING, BUT REVERTING!!!

PATCH 1.3 MAKES THE REVERT METHOD NOT WORKING ANYMORE!!!

ANYBODY, PLEASE, WHO'S READ MY OP CAREFULLY, HAS A SOLUTION!?!?!??!?

I NEED A NEW METHOD TO REVERT THE uGrids VALUE, NOT TWEAKING IT!!!!!!!

FOR GOD'S SAKE, READ CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!

No reason to shout newbie, I offered all the help that I could and thus far no other respondents. Remember that it's only a game. I hope some one else will be able to help you. Goodbye.

You started speaking about something that is not coherent with the OP. Pardon me, I lost my temper after the second totally pointless reply showed that you didnt really understand what I'm talking about.

The problem is not tweaking the value, the problem is reverting to lower values. After the 1.3 patch, the well known revert method (setini/saveini/refreshini) doesnt work anymore. "Anymore" means that, before this last patch, the method always worked very well, all the tens of times I applied it.

I've also removed and reinstalled the game clean, but the only way to make the old savegames to work is by tweaking the uGrids value to 8. Reverting back doesnt work ANYMORE.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not the only one having this problem.

Couldn't you wait and keep the savegame in reserve and see what happens when a new savegame comes out? Unless the savegame itself is corrupted It should be possible right? I realize that losing so many hours is incredible frustrating but does a new game have the same issues?

Couldn't you wait and keep the savegame in reserve and see what happens when a new savegame comes out? Unless the savegame itself is corrupted It should be possible right? I realize that losing so many hours is incredible frustrating but does a new game have the same issues?

Yep, already tried, and starting the game over with un-tweaked/default values work fine. But the problem stays, 180+ hours is nothing I wanna trash because of a stupid patch.

I can still play with a tweaked value, but certain landscapes bring my FPS down a bit too much (27 sometimes) so I wanted to revert it back to the default.

So, please, if anybody has a solution.....

Hey man I think I got the solution.

First: I assume you already did the whole setini "ugridstoload:general" 5 blah blah.... that f*#@s s*** up.

If you can load a previous save before the current save that got messed up, then this is what you do:

Open a working save game - open the console

alt tab and open your skyrim.ini in your mygames/skyrim

change to these settings:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

uGridsToLoad=5

save file

go back in to your game and in the console type: refini

close console

save game

quit

load

This should revert you back to uGridsToLoad of 5

A side note... I would not wish uGridsToLoad on my worst of enemies. Avoid this monstrosity! (although it does make the game look nice, but I prefer actually playing instead of trying to fix this s***!)

Another side note... could this work in reverse? To make uGridsToLoad values higher? I'm curious, but I refuse to try myself :)