Fallout 4 REINSTALL to new drive.

Demhilord

I've been playing FO4 for a while. I use nexus mod manager.

I was given a new SSD drive and I would like to do a clean install of FO4 onto this NEW drive....will also be a new drive letter, D: as FO4 is currently installed to C:

The twist is I would like to keep my mods and I would like to keep my NEWEST saved games. I'm a little iffy on this entire process.

My plan is to install FO on the SSD Drive D: and then to point the Mod Manager's Custom Fallout (Loader?) to this exe. But I don't know if it will use the MODS or if I will have to install everyone. I loaded the game without a certain installed mod once and it screwed up several of my cities that I had worked on using features of that that mod.

Please don't concern yourself with me having 2 installs on my computer as I will only play one at a time and I will delete the first as soon as I am 100% sure the second / new install is working.

If you are able to give me some helpful advice, I would be most, MOST! greatful. Failing that I would be willing to listen to knowledgeable speculation and lastly, just speculation. Surely someone has reinstalled this game to a different drive......how do I do so with the least effort.

Thanks in advance and I will thank you again when and if you post.

Or, If I get no posts, I'll just do it the long way. Uhhhh!

Demhi's the breaks I guess.

It should be simple...

Open NMM as admin, uninstall (not just disable) all of your mods.

Install FO4 on your new SSD

Point NMM to the new location of FO4

Re-install all mods

Run new FO4.

Addition:

Maybe you run into the problem, NMM does not like it, to run from a different harddrive than the game. Moving NMM to the same drive should work.

It's actually perfectly acceptable to have two separate installs of Fallout on your computer, many mod authors do this so they have a clean unmodded install for testing. You can't run them at the same time anyway so it's not a licensing concern. As for preserving your save games, as long as you have the same mods in the same order there shouldn't be any problems with your save games, I've personally done that. I even included updates on some of the mods without issue. So just make sure you backup your mod list with load order so you can replicate it in the new location.

Also this looks like good advice here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3sjres/how_do_i_move_fallout_4_from_my_hdd_to_my_ssd/

I've been playing FO4 for a while. I use nexus mod manager.

I was given a new SSD drive and I would like to do a clean install of FO4 onto this NEW drive....will also be a new drive letter, D: as FO4 is currently installed to C:

Demhi's the breaks I guess.

Thanks a bunch for this advice and a thanks to all the others that have replied. To be honest you make it seem quite easy but I promise, The Law of Murphy rules where I work so we'll see. I'm thinking it will be more of a challange getting the SDD in vs doing the reinstall ( I have a rather large vid card jammed into my case - pls don't let me have to remove it to do the disk change.) So I will give it a try and tell you how it went - no doubt you are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting on this news. Hopefully it will get rid of a few of the bugs that have cropped up over time.

So again, I think everyone that has replied to my request for advice. And it is nice to get supportive and helpful advice vs the usually kind of advice I get.

ONE ADDITIONAL QUESTION:: As I may have mentioned, I used a mod to build some of my settlements. When I started the game with the mod off, all that I have build with that mod was gone. If I UNINSTALL all my mods, reinstall the game and reinstall the mods before I run the game, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

And I just found the OPTION to UNINSTALL all active(?) mods so this should make it easier to do. Cool. Thanks again.

Demhis is helpful suggestions.

Steam makes backup install discs. Top left steam menu, backup an restore games.

I have seen this but I was concerned with backing up like 7GB on via the Internet. It might take forever to compress and download. That is just a lot of info to be messing with. But I'll consider and may try it. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have personally done a full reinstall of game and all mods and my saved games still worked. The important thing is to have all the same mods, in the same load order. In my case some of the mods actually got updated in the process as well which also didn't seem to be a problem.

FYI, the quote you posted about Steam backups was from BipolarOne not me.

You should really install your OS on the SSD. That will speed up your entire PC. Installing FO4 on it just decreases loads times, which if you have room for it too, I would do.

If you do install the OS to it find a guide for SSD setup first, unless you already know how to move all your user folders and temp files to a different location then the SSD to conserve space and optimize the system for using a SSD.

I run a setup like this. I have a few choice games that would have long loading times on the SSD and the rest are installed to a regular HDD.

Though old, this one is still mostly valid: Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

For what it's worth I personally have my OS and most played games on the SSD. Media and less frequently used programs are installed on regular HDDs. It's definitely the best approach if you're willing to do a radical reinstall of your system.

• 2 months later...