Custom characters have bulging eyes

FrenchieDwemer

Hey everyone,

I've noticed something quite, uh, peculiar lately regarding custom characters -involving both characters from mods AND the player character, which is why I posted here. They look perfectly fine face to face, however, well, starting from a couple meters away from them their eyes start popping out of their sockets -and the greater the distance, the more they bulge.

I... quite frankly don't really know how to explain that properly so there it goes :

Fig.1 : an unmodded Ulfric Stormcloak (save for his sword) :

http://i.imgur.com/vUsrC2V.jpg

Fig. 2 : Scarlet Crusaders with certain issues

http://i.imgur.com/JT5XoKc.jpg

Fig. 3 : ... Jesus Christ.

http://i.imgur.com/8w1SLM2.jpg

So there's that. As I mentioned, the farther the camera, the more it clips. Furthermore, lower than default FOV values seem to worsen the issue so I reckon there's something going on with the camera here. These pictures in particular were, in fact, taken with exaggeratedly low FOV values -around 10 or so, in order to create a clear contrast between Ulfric and the custom NPCs.

Reinstalling or checking the game's files from Steam didn't help.

On top of that : this issue affects NPCs from different mods, some of which I didn't even fiddle around with in the first place. All they have in common is that they have their own, custom Facegen Data, and, once again, NPCs from the base game such as Ulfric up there do not suffer from this, uh, problem.

Last but not least, this only happens on my laptop. The very same mods, on my regular, crappier computer, work just fine. Problem is, said computer is on the other side of the country and here I am sitting in my flat staring helplessly at these monstrosities.

Oh and, it goes without saying that I tried disabling this or that mod, several at a time, all of them... nope, still happening.

I couldn't find anything much on the subject on the Internet but as far as I can tell, at the fair least, I'm not the only one to have encountered this glitch, though very few others have. So I reckon there has to be a common cause behind all this that we may be able to identify and possibly fix.

Either way, thank you for your attention everyone, and here's hoping, I guess.

Have a good one.

Edited by FrenchieDwemer

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem. I have all mods uninstalled except a custom follower and they have bulging eyes. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Okay guys I may have finally found a solution to this. Open up your nif file in the latest version of Nifskope and go to the eyes section. There click on 'LightingShaderProperty' and then look down and edit 'Shader Flags 1'. Uncheck 'SLSF1_Decal' then save.

This fixed the bulging eye issue for one of my followers, maybe it will for yours too.

The nif file is under Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\meshes\actors\character\facegendata\facegeom\<follower mod name>

Unless it uses a BSA...

Edited by Joltacks