Adjusting an object's collision size to match rescaled object

damanding

@greekrage: Did you define the navmesh as stairs?

& what type of collsion did you use? static will work for 'ramps' (the model can be a stairs, like this, but you can give it a 'ramp' like collision. Actually works better for NPC's to find their way.)

But in this case you might need to define it as stairs (stone or wood. There is no 'metal' option there.)

Edited by RoNin1971

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

& what type of collsion did you use? static will work for 'ramps' (the model can be a stairs, like this, but you can give it a 'ramp' like collision. Actually works better for NPC's to find their way.)

But in this case you might need to define it as stairs (stone or wood. There is no 'metal' option there.)

I'm having the same problem. My custom made stairs literally has an invisible wall in the way preventing me from walking up them. No doubt, it is the collision.

:down:

I'm having the same problem. My custom made stairs literally has an invisible wall in the way preventing me from walking up them. No doubt, it is the collision.

That points to what I said earlier, the convex hull doesn't do inner spaces. If your mesh has a "C" shape, the convex hull will have a "D" shape. In the case of stairs it means the space between the railings gets 'filled' if they are 1 object (or a complex rotating shape might do that too)

You can see what the convex hull looks like after exporting it from 3DS and before converting it with Elrich. After that you can see it with CK, using F4 (go to the object preview for the best view)

or If you could share the mesh, I'll have a look.

edit:

NOTE: The object you use / create as 'collision' is NOT converted or something. It will calculate the convex hull for whatever mesh you use and that becomes your collision. (There are ways to set complexity though, might even be enough to negate that problem, but you should really keep it as simple as possible)

the convex hull or convex envelope or convex closure of a shape is the smallest convex set that contains it.

Edited by RoNin1971

That points to what I said earlier, the convex hull doesn't do inner spaces. If your mesh has a "C" shape, the convex hull will have a "D" shape. In the case of stairs it means the space between the railings gets 'filled' if they are 1 object (or a complex rotating shape might do that too)

You can see what the convex hull looks like after exporting it from 3DS and before converting it with Elrich. After that you can see it with CK, using F4 (go to the object preview for the best view)

edit:

NOTE: The object you use / create as 'collision' is NOT converted or something. It will calculate the convex hull for whatever mesh you use and that becomes your collision. (There are ways to set complexity though, might even be enough to negate that problem, but you should really keep it as simple as possible)

the convex hull or convex envelope or convex closure of a shape is the smallest convex set that contains it.

Ok, I get it now. So what I need to do is EXACTLY what Beth did........Break the stairs into chunks & collision each one, thereby avoiding the "D Perspective".

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

edit:

Ok, I get it now. So what I need to do is EXACTLY what Beth did........Break the stairs into chunks & collision each one, thereby avoiding the "D Perspective".

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Exactly.

Select them all and then use the 'compound rigid body' from the havok tools, to create a single collision (a combination of all individual parts / calculated shapes)

& you should be good. At least for your MC.

For any NPC you will need to navmesh it correctly as well.

Exactly.

Select them all and then use the 'compound rigid body' from the havok tools, to create a single collision (a combination of all individual parts / calculated shapes)

& you should be good. At least for your MC.

For any NPC you will need to navmesh it correctly as well.

Laying navmesh is like laying carpet, and I'm very good at it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

there is i a "stairs" selection ?...in the collision group ?... I havent noticed it... Will try...