Skyrim won't launch with SKSE after Steam downloaded and auto-installed something

Teinomana

Hi,

I'm playing Skyrim Legendary edition in Steam. I've installed only the unofficial patches.

I could play around 40 hours normally, but yesterday I noticed Steam downloaded and installed some Skyrim content, around 3gb in size. After that, the game can no longer be launched with SKSE (I'm using MO). I can only see the initial Skyrim logo and then it crashes.

Anyone else had this problem? Any idea what can be the issue, and how could I solve it?

Thanks!

I had a look at the MO log and this is the error it prints:

Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\TESV.exe" (468881). Last hooked call: int __stdcall GetFileAttributesExW_rep(const wchar_t *,enum _GET_FILEEX_INFO_LEVELS,void *)

Any ideas??

"Downloaded something"

What exactly do you mean by this? Have any new .esms appeared in your manager? If you have subscribed to a mod (even accidentally) on Steam's Workshop site, then Steam will automatically download that mod when the game launches from Steam. So if Steam, for instance, has an update, the next you launch Skyrim it will force you to use the Skyrim launcher...which will launch Steam and it will download that subscribed mod and activate it.

What mine used to do also was deactivate all my mods, which was atypical but may very well have happened to you.

THanks a lot for your reply :smile:

I didn't subscribe to any Steam mod, I was just interested in modding to make the game playable after some computer freezes. Anyway, an hour ago Steam started downloading another 2,6gb. After completing this later install, I tried again to launch the game with the mods through SKSE and now its working!!

Honestly, wtf, is the game downloading by chapters or something?? It was a total of almost 6gb! I'll have a look at steam workshop just in case I accidentally subscribed to something but I really doubt it...

EDIT: just to confirm that I wasn't subscribed to any steam mod, Skyrim's or any other game's.

Edited by Teinomana