SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

Excellent! Thank you so much aers. SevereArtisan, would you be willing to check back in after 10 and 100 hours for the sake of posterity?

I don't think what I have left with this current playthrough will reach anywhere close to 100 hours unfortunately. All I have left until the only thing left are radiant quests, some quests I may have missed here, the rest of Legacy of the Dragonborn and Unslaad, and then I'm pretty much done minus messing around in Skyrim and waiting for Glenmoril and Inigo V3.

However, I did completely beat Vigilant last night again and I was able to save just fine the entire time I played through it, 33 hours or so since my last save with the CTD on save problem. Aers' SSE Engine Fixes update basically doubles the write limit size for a save (Uncompressed) from 64 MB to 128 MB. My save was above 64 MB uncompressed and it reached that size after beating through pretty much most of the game and then starting on Bruma. If my save happens to reach 128 MB uncompressed and up, the problem will show up once again, but I think that will only happen if I install a bunch of quest mods (More so than I already have anyways) or mods that edit or add a lot of worldspace.

Hello, I am writing here with my own experience of save-related CTD.

I genuinely think Inigo V3 might be the core reason for the sudden crashes. I will give two ways I have done this. The first path through an older save was trying to beat the first cave in Dawnguard DLC, during which there were three to five saves made, regardless of whether they were auto, quick- or actual saves.

The second time I loaded the point where I had just entered the cave and exited out, enabled quick- and autosaves and went to Whiterun. I did some soultrapping before heading back into Whiterun and upon creating maybe my fifth save through exiting out of Whiterun the game saw the same fate of strings overloading the engine. I have had patches installed into the mods but it does not fix the problem with the engine. I am grateful for reading many solutions to how to fix the buffer with the game engine eschewing on scriptly mods.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, just writing this to let everyone know if you dont already but be careful with Caranthir tower reborn. I just started a male play though to get ready for Rigmor of Burma Reboot and wanted to try some new player home mods instead of my favorite Sjel Blad Castle but after 70 hours started to crash after save. I did the normal trobleshooting and then just thought what mod is new and when I went on resaver I saw how much script was getting pump in to the game. More then any other mod I had in my playthough. 9000 on its own. After wards back to normal. So just letting ya guys know. Its a good player home I did enjoy it. but not worth my whole game.

Excellent! Thank you so much aers. SevereArtisan, would you be willing to check back in after 10 and 100 hours for the sake of posterity?

I don't think what I have left with this current playthrough will reach anywhere close to 100 hours unfortunately. All I have left until the only thing left are radiant quests, some quests I may have missed here, the rest of Legacy of the Dragonborn and Unslaad, and then I'm pretty much done minus messing around in Skyrim and waiting for Glenmoril and Inigo V3.

However, I did completely beat Vigilant last night again and I was able to save just fine the entire time I played through it, 33 hours or so since my last save with the CTD on save problem. Aers' SSE Engine Fixes update basically doubles the write limit size for a save (Uncompressed) from 64 MB to 128 MB. My save was above 64 MB uncompressed and it reached that size after beating through pretty much most of the game and then starting on Bruma. If my save happens to reach 128 MB uncompressed and up, the problem will show up once again, but I think that will only happen if I install a bunch of quest mods (More so than I already have anyways) or mods that edit or add a lot of worldspace.

Hello, I am writing here with my own experience of save-related CTD.

I genuinely think Inigo V3 might be the core reason for the sudden crashes. I will give two ways I have done this. The first path through an older save was trying to beat the first cave in Dawnguard DLC, during which there were three to five saves made, regardless of whether they were auto, quick- or actual saves.

The second time I loaded the point where I had just entered the cave and exited out, enabled quick- and autosaves and went to Whiterun. I did some soultrapping before heading back into Whiterun and upon creating maybe my fifth save through exiting out of Whiterun the game saw the same fate of strings overloading the engine. I have had patches installed into the mods but it does not fix the problem with the engine. I am grateful for reading many solutions to how to fix the buffer with the game engine eschewing on scriptly mods.

I've been running Inigo just fine for quite a while. Again, rarely is it one specific mod. Try the two fixes and see if that helps.

hey, just writing this to let everyone know if you dont already but be careful with Caranthir tower reborn. I just started a male play though to get ready for Rigmor of Burma Reboot and wanted to try some new player home mods instead of my favorite Sjel Blad Castle but after 70 hours started to crash after save. I did the normal trobleshooting and then just thought what mod is new and when I went on resaver I saw how much script was getting pump in to the game. More then any other mod I had in my playthough. 9000 on its own. After wards back to normal. So just letting ya guys know. Its a good player home I did enjoy it. but not worth my whole game.

Thanks kmc08812!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who worked so obsessively on trying to figure this problem out. I recently started playing SE, after having not played since we were all modding LE with NMM, and I encountered this issue for the first time ever yesterday. I've tried every trick I could find, including cleaning the save, and standing on my head while singing the national anthem and twirling pizza dough. Some "fixes" helped for about 20 seconds. Finally, I found this topic, and that changing the SaveGameMaxSize to true. This has worked. In so much that I've now saved a few dozen times with no crashes. I don't know if it will happen again in the future, but for now, this did the trick. I am not far into the game at all. Just headed to the Greybeards, though I did have about 100 mods installed (now down to 90 ish).

My question and concern is what IS SaveGameMaxSize? Is it referring to how large your .ess file is? Mine were a bit over 6 MB. Far from the stated max size of 64 MB stated in the SSE Engine Fixes information. So if I was coming nowhere near that, why would doubling the max size fix it? And on the question of doubling, can I now expect this issue to reappear if my saves were to reach 12 MB?

Either way, I'm glad at least for now to have some relief.

Oh and if anyone comes looking for a fix to this problem in present day and finds their way here like I did, and can't find EngineFixes.ini, it's because that file has been replaced. EngineFixes.toml is the file you want now.

Edit:

Yep, it has started again, as I suspected it might. Saving started to take an excessively long time, so I knew it was coming.

Edited by Grayald

T

Hi. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who worked so obsessively on trying to figure this problem out. I recently started playing SE, after having not played since we were all modding LE with NMM, and I encountered this issue for the first time ever yesterday. I've tried every trick I could find, including cleaning the save, and standing on my head while singing the national anthem and twirling pizza dough. Some "fixes" helped for about 20 seconds. Finally, I found this topic, and that changing the SaveGameMaxSize to true. This has worked. In so much that I've now saved a few dozen times with no crashes. I don't know if it will happen again in the future, but for now, this did the trick. I am not far into the game at all. Just headed to the Greybeards, though I did have about 100 mods installed (now down to 90 ish).

My question and concern is what IS SaveGameMaxSize? Is it referring to how large your .ess file is? Mine were a bit over 6 MB. Far from the stated max size of 64 MB stated in the SSE Engine Fixes information. So if I was coming nowhere near that, why would doubling the max size fix it? And on the question of doubling, can I now expect this issue to reappear if my saves were to reach 12 MB?

Oh and if anyone comes looking for a fix to this problem in present day and finds their way here like I did, and can't find EngineFixes.ini, it's because that file has been replaced. EngineFixes.toml is the file you want now.

Edit:

Yep, it has started again, as I suspected it might. Saving started to take an excessively long time, so I knew it was coming.

Thanks Grayald. That is WAY too early to be experiencing this bug, so you've got too many script-heavy mods going on (is my guess). When you cleaned did you have any unattached scripts etc? That might help you narrow down which mods are being problematic.

T

Edit:

Thanks Grayald. That is WAY too early to be experiencing this bug, so you've got too many script-heavy mods going on (is my guess). When you cleaned did you have any unattached scripts etc? That might help you narrow down which mods are being problematic.

Thanks for the reply. I did. It returned about 400 orphaned scripts and 200 undefined elements, which I cleaned.

Here's a repost from a topic I did on Reddit.

-----

Had an issue pop up recently, and it seems it's not a new one, nor a unique one.
Problem:
At around level 14, saving started to take a long time. At first, it was a few seconds, but eventually, it got to be 8 seconds per save. Then suddenly the game would close out after the pause. No error message or anything pops up. At this time, the size of my save files as about 6 MB.
Things I've tried from googling:
  • Deleted excess save files and disabled autosave to keep the folder cleaner.
  • Loading, then loading the same save again.
  • Killing myself. (lol this line triggered reddits suicide bot to post in my topic)
  • Getting rid of a few mods.
  • Ran LOOT, and made sure to clean dirty plugins and install any patches it told me to.
  • Cleaned orphaned scripts and undefined elements with Resaver.
  • Setting SaveGameMaxSize = true in EngineFixes.toml.
  • Setting MemoryManager = true in EngineFixes.toml.
Only the last 2 got me any progress. Yesterday, I did the SaveGameMaxSize = true, which cut down on the pause when saving and stopped the CTD. Until earlier today, when the problem returned. Then I did the MemoryManager thing, and it stopped CTD on save, though saves still have a good 6 sec pause or so. It's something, but I am under no illusion that the problem is truly solved and will not happen again. At present, the size of my save files is up to 8 MB.
This is what the save folder currently looks like:
  • Quicksave0_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002203_20200806022526_19_1.ess 7.91 MB (8,298,330 bytes)
  • Quicksave0_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002203_20200806022526_19_1.skse 27.9 KB (28,669 bytes)
  • Save37_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002201_20200805231955_19_1.ess.tmp 0 bytes (wtf?)
  • Save37_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002202_20200806022452_19_1.ess 7.90 MB (8,288,518 bytes)
  • Save37_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002202_20200806022452_19_1.skse 27.9 KB (28,669 bytes)
Any help would be much appreciated.
Here is my mod list:
-----
Definitely feels like something is slowly building on itself over time until it becomes unmanageable for the engine.
-----
EDIT:
This next block of text is just rambling speculation on my part, so feel free to laugh at it if it seems stupid.
I don't know much about scripts, and I don't know if this is related, but it made me suspicious. I ran Resaver again just to have a look and see if I could spot anything obvious. I noticed a folder named Active Scripts, which according to the number aside it, contains 116874 active scripts. Now, I don't know if that's a lot, but it sounded like it, so I thought I'd mention it. I looked inside and it looks like there are thousands of duplicate folders each containing 4 "frames", whatever that is. Every single one appears to be tied to the mod LC Citadel, specifically falmer horde quest scripts, which I assume is the introductory quest, which has you decending into the crypts where groups of 10 or so falmer spawn in at different points, and you have to clear them all out.
I completed the quest without issue, but when I talked to the NPC to start it, I accidentally initiated the quest twice. Maybe related? I dunno.
This is what it looks like, repeated thousands of times:
EDIT 2:
Wow yeah those scripts were definitely causing issues. I went in and deleted all of them, and anything else I found tied to them that I felt comfortable deleting, and saving is now instantaneous with no crashes. Will do some further testing to see how thorough this fix is.
Edited by Grayald

T

Edit:

Thanks for the reply. I did. It returned about 400 orphaned scripts and 200 undefined elements, which I cleaned.

Here's a repost from a topic I did on Reddit.

-----

Had an issue pop up recently, and it seems it's not a new one, nor a unique one.
Problem:
At around level 14, saving started to take a long time. At first, it was a few seconds, but eventually, it got to be 8 seconds per save. Then suddenly the game would close out after the pause. No error message or anything pops up. At this time, the size of my save files as about 6 MB.
Things I've tried from googling:
  • Deleted excess save files and disabled autosave to keep the folder cleaner.
  • Loading, then loading the same save again.
  • Killing myself. (lol this line triggered reddits suicide bot to post in my topic)
  • Getting rid of a few mods.
  • Ran LOOT, and made sure to clean dirty plugins and install any patches it told me to.
  • Cleaned orphaned scripts and undefined elements with Resaver.
  • Setting SaveGameMaxSize = true in EngineFixes.toml.
  • Setting MemoryManager = true in EngineFixes.toml.
Only the last 2 got me any progress. Yesterday, I did the SaveGameMaxSize = true, which cut down on the pause when saving and stopped the CTD. Until earlier today, when the problem returned. Then I did the MemoryManager thing, and it stopped CTD on save, though saves still have a good 6 sec pause or so. It's something, but I am under no illusion that the problem is truly solved and will not happen again. At present, the size of my save files is up to 8 MB.
This is what the save folder currently looks like:
  • Quicksave0_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002203_20200806022526_19_1.ess 7.91 MB (8,298,330 bytes)
  • Quicksave0_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002203_20200806022526_19_1.skse 27.9 KB (28,669 bytes)
  • Save37_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002201_20200805231955_19_1.ess.tmp 0 bytes (wtf?)
  • Save37_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002202_20200806022452_19_1.ess 7.90 MB (8,288,518 bytes)
  • Save37_00000000_0_4B6173696D6972_WhiterunWorld_002202_20200806022452_19_1.skse 27.9 KB (28,669 bytes)
Any help would be much appreciated.
Here is my mod list:
-----
Definitely feels like something is slowly building on itself over time until it becomes unmanageable for the engine.
-----
EDIT:
This next block of text is just rambling speculation on my part, so feel free to laugh at it if it seems stupid.
I don't know much about scripts, and I don't know if this is related, but it made me suspicious. I ran Resaver again just to have a look and see if I could spot anything obvious. I noticed a folder named Active Scripts, which according to the number aside it, contains 116874 active scripts. Now, I don't know if that's a lot, but it sounded like it, so I thought I'd mention it. I looked inside and it looks like there are thousands of duplicate folders each containing 4 "frames", whatever that is. Every single one appears to be tied to the mod LC Citadel, specifically falmer horde quest scripts, which I assume is the introductory quest, which has you decending into the crypts where groups of 10 or so falmer spawn in at different points, and you have to clear them all out.
I completed the quest without issue, but when I talked to the NPC to start it, I accidentally initiated the quest twice. Maybe related? I dunno.
This is what it looks like, repeated thousands of times:
EDIT 2:
Wow yeah those scripts were definitely causing issues. I went in and deleted all of them, and anything else I found tied to them that I felt comfortable deleting, and saving is now instantaneous with no crashes. Will do some further testing to see how thorough this fix is.

Excellent! Yes, in addition to cleaning you may also have to delete the mod (I know, cardinal sin), but it sound like you are on the right track. I started feeling comfortable after about 30 hours of play, so I would probably check with Resaver each time you are done until you get to the point to make sure that it isn't popping up again.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

i uninstalled campfire, frostfall and vilja and had no problems since april 2019

don´t know if unstalling all of these was necessary but it worked

yesterday my script instance went over 200.000

Thanks to all

• 3 weeks later...