SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

I have this appearing in a 30-hour save, when I open it with ReSaver:

There are 110 stacks and 224 frames, which may indicate a problem.

csvictimquestscript occurs the most often (53 occurrences)

This script is from that investigation quest in Windhelm, which I did not started, but I probably ran past the guard.

If I go back to that city and talk to the guard, this still appear in the save.

There are no crashes happening, but is it something to worry about on long-term? Or these stacks close themselves after some time?

Wait... so your game isn't crashing, you are just concerned about those stacks and frames? I'm not an expert, but I imagine that the csvictimquestscript occurs anytime you move in Windhelm at all, so that might just be normal. You don't accept this quest to begin it, it just launched right away.

This would be the first time I've seen this crash coming from just vanilla Skyrim, normally it is associated with mods.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this appearing in a 30-hour save, when I open it with ReSaver:

There are 110 stacks and 224 frames, which may indicate a problem.

csvictimquestscript occurs the most often (53 occurrences)

This script is from that investigation quest in Windhelm, which I did not started, but I probably ran past the guard.

If I go back to that city and talk to the guard, this still appear in the save.

There are no crashes happening, but is it something to worry about on long-term? Or these stacks close themselves after some time?

Wait... so your game isn't crashing, you are just concerned about those stacks and frames? I'm not an expert, but I imagine that the csvictimquestscript occurs anytime you move in Windhelm at all, so that might just be normal. You don't accept this quest to begin it, it just launched right away.

This would be the first time I've seen this crash coming from just vanilla Skyrim, normally it is associated with mods.

My mistake, it was the Combat Surrender mod, not the Windhelm quest. I was not being able to access the MCM menu for it. I killed the suspended processes in ReSaver, and was then able to access the MCM menu. The script probably bugged during some battle.

• 1 month later...

This is ridiculous, i've checked for hours online for a fix for this bug to no avail, and now it has killed 3 of my playthroughs in the last 2 months. Usually they don't hit me until ~Level 27-30, but just now got it at level 6, I almost just wanna give up playing entirely at this point.

I'm completely inexperienced at reading papyrus logs, so I have no idea what to look for.

Edited by andonemaniac

This is ridiculous, i've checked for hours online for a fix for this bug to no avail, and now it has killed 3 of my playthroughs in the last 2 months. Usually they don't hit me until ~Level 27-30, but just now got it at level 6, I almost just wanna give up playing entirely at this point.

I'm completely inexperienced at reading papyrus logs, so I have no idea what to look for.

Hi andonemaniac. We do have two fixes on this blog that between them seem to work for most people. It worked for me. Have you tried both? What did ReSaver say?

Hi andonemaniac. We do have two fixes on this blog that between them seem to work for most people. It worked for me. Have you tried both? What did ReSaver say?

aight so this is kinda late, and after looking back on the past times it has happened. I know this is tied to bodies being moved to a hall of the dead. Though i'm not 100% sure what they are. This crash in particular was curious since I had done the following:

I killed atar and his thugs at karthwasten after inciting them to attack, it was raining at the time, and so they all wore hoods, after killing atar, I took the thin leather hood off his character and tried it on mine, but I didn't like the look, and so I put it back in his inventory. I then traveled on foot out of karthwasten a ways. In order to get the repeatable save bug I either had to: return to karthwasten, or fast travel. After doing so, as soon as I tried to save, I would get the TMP save crash. (I have all auto saving disabled)

A previous playthrough which I ended up getting the TMP bug at ~level 30 at, occurred after killing louis letrush and keeping the horse. I don't remember if it was raining, and sadly, the logs for it no longer exist. I am fairly certain requiem is not at fault, since the earliest I had this bug was last august (and I only started playing with requiem back in may this year), and happened after I had first entered markarth (so the death of either weylin or margret may have been the cause, but I don't know if it was raining when they died, but I didn't crash then until AFTER traveling far enough away from markarth, so their bodies could be moved to the hall of the dead)

I have had wet and cold in my load order for years now. Though I've only had 4 of my playthroughs cut short by the bug (out of maybe 30-40 total, a handful of which I had put in 250+ hours without the bug happening) That 3 of those times have been in just the last few months may just be coincidence, but I am not sure

Possible relevant objects (4)
{
[ 1] TESObjectSTAT(FormId: 0000003B, File: `Skyrim.esm`)
[ 24] TESObjectCONT(Name: `Coffin`, FormId: 000F6891, File: `Requiem for the Indifferent.esp <- Requiem Record Fixes.esm <- Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp <- Skyrim.esm`)
[ 24] TESObjectREFR(FormId: 000172B6, File: `Skyrim.esm`, BaseForm: TESObjectCONT(Name: `Coffin`, FormId: 000F6891, File: `Requiem for the Indifferent.esp <- Requiem Record Fixes.esm <- Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp <- Skyrim.esm`))
[ 34] TESObjectARMO(Name: `Thin Leather Hood`, FormId: 1506E123, File: `WetandCold.esp`)
}
I played around with this broken save a little bit, and every crash had at least these 4 as probable cuplrits
Edit: on the wet and cold bug reports section I found this:
CTD Related to Dead NPC and item "Gloves"
"Hi, I'm experiencing a CTD which appears to be when Ulundil, who recently died while fighting a dragon, is moved to the hall of the dead. That is my presumption after reading the logs at least."
Edited by andonemaniac

I am also not experienced at papyrus logs, but if you follow our fixes here we might be able to help you. I need two things from you before we continue:

1. Have you tried ReSaver? Did you have any unattached instances or undefined elements? Those might point you to the problem.

2. If so, have you tried engine fixes?

Between these two people have by and large been reporting success.

I am also not experienced at papyrus logs, but if you follow our fixes here we might be able to help you. I need two things from you before we continue:

1. Have you tried ReSaver? Did you have any unattached instances or undefined elements? Those might point you to the problem.

2. If so, have you tried engine fixes?

Between these two people have by and large been reporting success.

The report I included regarding "possible relevant objects" is from .NetScriptFramework

I'm almost certain that the issue was tied to wet and cold specifically since I have had it when every crash occurred, and .NSF pointed directly to it. (An NPC had a W&C item on their person, which could be a hood, gloves, cloak, or face cover. Another mod COULD be partially responsible, if it didn't like that a W&C item was moved to the hall of the dead, but I am not sure unfortunately)

NSF Crash reports are stored in Data>NetScriptFramework>Crash

So with this being the case, I have a few solutions for the TMP save bug, if .NSF points to an item added by Wet & Cold:

~The simplest fix would be to load a save BEFORE the "problem" NPC was killed, and uncheck all of the "Rain Gear Options" and "Cold Gear Options" boxes in the MCM menu. Ash is fine to leave alone, since named NPC's on Solstheim are never moved to a "hall of the dead" location.

If you don't know who the problem NPC is, load an earlier save: immediately fast travel somewhere and try to save. (Make sure you have 'save on fast travel' disabled) If it doesn't crash, keep loading later saves until one causes a CTD on save. (The problem NPC had died before the save that caused a CTD, so just load back to the latest save that DIDN'T CTD when saving after fast traveling, and pick one of the 3 solutions from there)

Alternatively, you could also:

~Remove any Wet and Cold attire from a named NPC's corpse if they are killed during harsh outdoor weather in a hold with a hall of the dead.

OR

~Type "sw 10e1f2" into the console (without the quotation marks) BEFORE a named NPC is killed. This will set the weather to clear, and remove any W&C items from their inventory.

The cities of: Whiterun, Markarth, Windhelm Solitude, and Riften all have a hall of the dead. Any time a named NPC is killed in one of these holds (even NPC's added by mods) their belongings will be moved to a coffin (or urn) in the appropriate hall of the dead.

Also, yes I do use both engine fixes and ReSaver, though .NSF is able to show a list of possible culprits in crash reports.

This should only apply to NPC's which have the "WIDeadBodyCleanup" Script. You can check if they have it in xEdit. Some NPC's added by mods can also be moved to a coffin. (some coffins are labeled as "inaccessible, so will not be found in a hall of the dead)

Edited by andonemaniac

• 4 weeks later...

Since it has been a while since we last posted the fixes, here they are for posterity's sake. Anyone know of a way that I can put these fixes at the start of the thread?

The first fix is listed in post #28 and repeated throughout.

Here's Post #28:

Thanks to some help from the fantastical markdf, we think that we've identified something significant. Looking at the ActiveScripts in the save, I had two hundred and ninety three scripts actively running for woodpeckers, and there are twenty eight thousand script instances for SkyBirds related stuff. This isn't to bash SkyBirds, but in conjunction with my other mods that is way too many active scripts. None of the rest of you had SkyBirds, but I think that this symptom is simply the result of ANY combination of mods that generate too many actively running scripts. What it comes down to is that when there are too many actively running scripts, Papyrus doesn't have enough time to terminate them when they are finished... and so they start accumulating without limit.

markdf also indicated some slight concerns (purely speculation, but at this point speculation is better than nothing) about Footprints and Wet and Cold. Again, not that these mods are buggy, but rather that in combination it might be too much for the engine to handle.

You can use markdf's supremely excellent Fallrim Tools http://www.nexusmods...ion/mods/5031/? to check out your savefile. I was able to salvage a save that was only 2.5 hours into the game utilizing the following technique:

1. Move to an interior area (since there are no birds in interiors).

2. Wait ten minutes (real time, not in-game time).

3. Save, quit.

4. Uninstall skybirds (or whatever mod has too many actively running scripts).

5. Load that save.

6. Wait ten minutes (real time, not in-game time).

7. Save again, to a new slot.

8. Load the new savefile in ReSaver, delete unattached instances, save to a new file.

9. Try to play normally from that save... using LAL-loading if necessary.

The second fix is found in post #204:

If you have this problem on try the new version of Engine Fixes (https://www.nexusmod...on/mods/17230); make sure to enable the fix in the ini (it's near the bottom, "SaveGameMaxSize"). I won't rule out the possibility of multiple different issues causing crash-on-save but this one specifically fixes SevereArtisan's problem.

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use both fixes in conjunction with each other. I would try the second one first, as it is less invasive to your save.

Some other posts that involve potentially helpful information for wrapping your brain around the issue include #98, #103, #104, #114, #130, #140, #199-#204, and #208.