CTD when entering Solitude.

SpaceBallzz

Hello I posted this in another forum but maybe this is a better place for it.

I've been playing for 150hours with almost no glitches or CTD's but now when I enter Solitude through the main gate I get a CTD. I can fast travel to the Blue Palace with no issues but when I reach the Bards College area and try to enter the other half of Solitude I get a CTD. So it's only that part of the city that is the problem.

I had the same problem before but I fixed it, I have the 3 HD texture packs from Bethesda/Steam installed and the first one was unchecked in the data files box when launching the game. Simply turning that back on solved the problem although I had to go back a few saves as the latest saves were made while the first texture pack was turned off.

Now though, everything is turned on as it should be. Files are spotless when cleaned with TESedit, following Gopher tutorials on youtube. LOOT doesn't show any issues either.

I found the following video on youtube but following its instructions hasn't helped...

If I go to a save from around 10 (real) hours ago then the game runs fine and there is no crash, I don't want to lose that much progress though. I haven't changed anything at all during those 10 hours, I'm always reluctant to go through the game files because I don't know what I'm doing.

Hoping someone knows what I can do!

Thanks.

Here's my load order copied from LOOT...

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm

2 2 Dawnguard.esm

3 3 HearthFires.esm

4 4 Dragonborn.esm

5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp

6 6 Campfire.esm

7 7 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm

8 8 HighResTexturePack01.esp

9 9 HighResTexturePack02.esp

10 a HighResTexturePack03.esp

11 b SkyUI.esp

12 c LessIntrusiveHUD.esp

13 d ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp

14 e ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp

15 f SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp

16 10 SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp

17 11 RealisticWaterTwo.esp

18 12 Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp

19 13 Footprints.esp

20 14 DeadlyDragons.esp

21 15 Populated Lands Roads Paths Legendary.esp

22 16 Chesko_WearableLantern.esp

23 17 banditraids.esp

24 18 RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp

25 19 SMIM-Merged-All.esp

26 1a Immersive Patrols II.esp

27 1b Frostfall.esp

28 1c SFO - Dragonborn.esp

29 1d Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp

30 1e The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp

you're having crashes because you have no merged or bashed patch which you NEED with that many mods loaded

Do ALL of step 2 and let me know if you need more help

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2235394-beginners-guide-to-modding/

Edited by gromulos

Wrye Bash only shows Immersive Patrols 2 with a red check box.

The right column in Wrye Bash shows Skyrim.esm, Update.esm in blue and then in red there is Dragonborn.esm and Dawnguard.esm

I don't know what to do from there.

I'm using NMM, would that work OK with Wrye Bash ?

Thanks.

Edited by SpaceBallzz

Wrye Bash only shows Immersive Patrols 2 with a red check box.

The right column in Wrye Bash shows Skyrim.esm, Update.esm in blue and then in red there is Dragonborn.esm and Dawnguard.esm

I don't know what to do from there.

I'm using NMM, would that work OK with Wrye Bash ?

Thanks.

1) Wrye Bash only shows Immersive Patrols 2 with a red check box. - you're missing a file needed, main reason why you're probably crashing or you need to do Appendix 1 for it, make sure it is red and not actually orange. If it is indeed orange then do appendix 1 for it

2) The right column in Wrye Bash shows Skyrim.esm, Update.esm in blue and then in red there is Dragonborn.esm and Dawnguard.esm - I need more information they should not be red unless you cleaned them and did something wrong or they are out of sequence, which should be exactly as you have them so it can't be that

3) NMM works great with WRYE, in fact they will both mirror each other, what you do in one the other will know

I just realized something - the Dragonborn DLC touches on the bard college because it has a couple of quests that you do for the college, the fact that the DLC is red is why your crashing. My suggestion to you would be, delete both the dragonbron.esm and the dawnguard.esm then re-verify your files through steam and then check the colors in WRYE after they have finished downloading. Also, make sure you find out why Immersive Patrols is red, as I said that can cause crashes as well.

Edited by gromulos

It might have been orange, it's the only mod that isn't green so hard to tell if it's red or orange.

Anyway, I followed appendix 1, opened the mod in TESedit and sorted the masters and now in Wrye Bash everything is green and there's a bashed patch at the bottom of the load order. The immersive patrols masters are now checked either blue or green in the right hand column.

Do I still need to delete dragonborn and dawnguard ? How would I do that without messing my game up ?

This CTD is exactly the same as the one I had before, fixed by just turning the official HD texture pack back on, it's not fixing it now though. Since starting this 150hour playthrough I haven't added, modded, removed, cleaned, bashed or changed anything, and going back to a save 10hours ago removes the CTD issue although nothing has been changed from that save to my current save apart from turning the hd texture pack back on, I don't know how it got turned off in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by SpaceBallzz

It might have been orange, it's the only mod that isn't green so hard to tell if it's red or orange.

Anyway, I followed appendix 1, opened the mod in TESedit and sorted the masters and now in Wrye Bash everything is green and there's a bashed patch at the bottom of the load order. The immersive patrols masters are now checked either blue or green in the right hand column.

Do I still need to delete dragonborn and dawnguard ? How would I do that without messing my game up ?

This CTD is exactly the same as the one I had before, fixed by just turning the official HD texture pack back on, it's not fixing it now though. Since starting this 150hour playthrough I haven't added, modded, removed, cleaned, bashed or changed anything, and going back to a save 10hours ago removes the CTD issue although nothing has been changed from that save to my current save apart from turning the hd texture pack back on, I don't know how it got turned off in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

There are a few things you can do now that everything is green or blue.

1) did you rebuild the bashed patch, you MUST do this, steps 2.3 & 2.4 of my guide

2) Now that all the mods and files are either green or blue you DO NOT need to delete the DLC's like I said earlier :)

3) Since the CTD is still there, try this below

• open your game and load the most newest save with all your mods now in order
  • once you're in game, do a HARD MANUAL SAVE and immediately quit the game once that is done ( a hard manual save is NOT a auto save or quick save, you do it in the menu manually )
  • open the game again, and now load THAT newest save and see if it crashes, if it doesn't you're good to go, if it does it most likely is a broken script

Let me know what happens

then it's either 1 of 2 things, a mod conflict or a broken script

A mod conflict can be fixed by finding and removing of the the mods that are conflicting

A broken script can only be fixed 1 of 2 ways

reverting to an earlier save, OR

Starting a new game

And yes I know there are save file cleaners, but I've never been able to find one that actually works