Project Phoenix: Fallout 4 Reborn - A Complete Fallout 4 Overhaul

RogueMatriarch

Project Phoenix: Ballistic Weapon Rework Details

While a previous post detailed the available Weapon Reworks, which will be updated when a new one is released, it did not elaborate on the changes being made. This will fix that and explain why some things are being altered or removed altogether. It should be noted though that some features and slots may be exclusive to certain weapons/weapon types and thus will not be available to all of them. What is detailed below, however, is just a general list and does not include every possible slot and/or change.

A separate post for Energy Weapons will be made due to their changes being significantly different.

Mods
Muzzles: Compensators, Muzzle Brakes, and Suppressors all reduce felt recoil but typically weigh more as a result. None decrease range and Suppressors decrease audio level by one. Some weapons like the Syringer are considered silenced by default.

Bayonets: These now have their own category and no longer affect range as well. The bigger the bayonet, the more melee damage it does but generally means weighing more as well.

Barrels: Heavily effects range, accuracy, and felt recoil. Longer barrels mean greater range, accuracy, and less felt recoil but weigh more. Shorter and Snub-barrels lower range and accuracy along with increase felt recoil but weigh less.

Optics: Only affect how you aim and weight. Doesn't affect stability or anything else.

Magnification: Only available on Variable Scopes, this replaces the dozen or so times-X Regular, Night-vision, and Recon scopes with a new system. This allows the same scope to be used and levels changed without needing to craft an entirely new scope.

(Receiver) Frames: These affect felt recoil and weight primarily.

Selective Fire: Some weapons will have this option, allowing you to switch between various firing modes, including Full-auto and Semi-auto, independent of any other mods. Damage and range shouldn't be affected but depending on the configuration chosen, felt recoil may be increased or decreased.

Caliber: Another option that some weapons will have, this allows the swapping of calibers. Depending on the type chosen, range, damage, felt recoil, and accuracy may rise or fall. Available calibers are dependent on weapon type and what their real-life counterparts, if any, were chambered in.

Grips/Stocks: Primarily serving to stabilize the weapon and reduce recoil, some weapons will have more options then others. Pistol-style Grips will always be inferior to Stocks in terms of recoil reduction and stability but weigh less, the inverse true for Stocks. Some of either type may be more specialized, such as offering better stability but not as much recoil reduction or vice versa. Very few are straight upgrades, just like the rest of the reworked mods.

General Changes
Legendary Effects: These will be removed entirely from all Reworked mods for several reasons. The primary three are player-exclusivity, how out of place they are in a series like Fallout, and how they completely screw up balance; the latter the most offensive of all. Optional files for Legendary Effects being kept will not be added.

Naming: Weapons will more or less keep their base names, no longer being modified by attachments. This keeps weapons from having ridiculously-long and/or needlessly detailed when customized. If you wish to avoid accidentally selling a weapon you've tricked out yourself or enjoy using, rename it to something special. Not only does this add a personal attachment to said item but follows Fallout's trend of Unique Weapons bearing special names.

Springforce Reduction: A little-noticed feature of Fallout 4 is that weapons will automatically return to the original angle they started firing at once done. Weapons will a high rate-of-fire and/or recoil are affected the most as your weapon flies back to its starting position within a second or two. However, this can be largely-eliminated by setting said Springforce to 1 (can't go any lower). By doing this, you now have to manually compensate for recoil and keep your weapon steady or else you'll just end up hitting everything but your target. This also serves to help balance automatic weapons or those with a high rate-of-fire that also do a lot of damage such as the Reworked Minigun.

Unique Weapons: Replacing Legendary Effects and returning from previous titles, these items will have special mods on them that affect one or more characteristics; making them superior to their regular versions. Said mods function like Lorenzo's Artifact or the Kremvar's Tooth, removable and able to be transferred to a weapon of the same kind. This also allows several Unique Mods to be attached to the same one if desired, resulting in a truly powerful weapon. However, one must make the effort and spend time collecting said mods if they wish to do this.

Edited by Mavrickhunter2

• 2 months later...

I'm thrilled to see someone namecheck WE and PN in their inspirations for an overhaul of FO4, I wish you all the best.

I've had an idea since before Fallout 4 came out, and it was how I hoped and later thought PA should've been balanced.

Right now, customizing your Power Armor is pointless in terms of sheer statistical improvement.

T-45 will always be the weakest.

X-01 will always be the best.

(And aside from the cosmetic differences, they're otherwise identical in function)

This is mentioned in the OP for the thread.

My proposal to solving this problem; Armors retain their tiers, but the final upgraded state of all armors is about even.

The end result, T-45 has the most room for improvement, but if the sole survivor takes design principles learned from PA usage/maintenance of all of the other variants, improvements may be made to bring a particular suit up to (Fully upgraded) X-01 equivalent.

I've also just kinda had some ideas floating around re:PA in the past, you might find a document I typed up a while ago interesting, but I understand you've probably got your own ideas.

You have my utmost confidence that the mod(s) you continue to create are going to contribute greatly to my ability to extract every ounce of fun from this bitter crusty lemon of a game.

I'm thrilled to see someone namecheck WE and PN in their inspirations for an overhaul of FO4, I wish you all the best.

I've had an idea since before Fallout 4 came out, and it was how I hoped and later thought PA should've been balanced.

Right now, customizing your Power Armor is pointless in terms of sheer statistical improvement.

T-45 will always be the weakest.

X-01 will always be the best.

(And aside from the cosmetic differences, they're otherwise identical in function)

This is mentioned in the OP for the thread.

My proposal to solving this problem; Armors retain their tiers, but the final upgraded state of all armors is about even.

The end result, T-45 has the most room for improvement, but if the sole survivor takes design principles learned from PA usage/maintenance of all of the other variants, improvements may be made to bring a particular suit up to (Fully upgraded) X-01 equivalent.

I've also just kinda had some ideas floating around re:PA in the past, you might find a document I typed up a while ago interesting, but I understand you've probably got your own ideas.

You have my utmost confidence that the mod(s) you continue to create are going to contribute greatly to my ability to extract every ounce of fun from this bitter crusty lemon of a game.

I REALLY love that idea - that the higher you upgrade a certain type of armor, the closer it becomes to the next type of armor at the same tier, and thus, at the highest tier ('F', IIRC) T-45 would only be slightly less 'good' than X-01.

My first (and maybe my 2nd) play-through I was thrilled every time I found a suit of armor, and brought them all back to Sanctuary where I shined them up and displayed them proudly. I even got a thrill out of shooting a raider out of his/her armor and stealing it. Now, I just walk past most armors that are on trains, etc... if it isn't X-01 I just don't care. The immersion factor is just gone - I leave suits of the stuff all over the place, and if the game were real, that would never be the case - EVERYTHING should have value in an apocalypse.

I saw that someone else rebalanced the PA by having the lower types use-up the fusion cores at a slower rate, and that could be incorporated as well - the higher the tech, the more the power demands. So even though a tier 'F' T-45 might be slightly less powerful than the tier 'F' X-01 (under this proposed system), a person might still opt for the T-45 if they were going on a long run (and fuson cores should be harder to come by... they were, at first, but now i walk around with hundreds of them!)

Also, do ejected fusion cores have varied damage by how much is left in them? I've never used them that way, so I don't know, but they sure should work that way (increased damage AND radius dependent on the charge left).

Oh, and while I am on the subject of things blowing up... make it so vertibirds don't explode when someone throws a rock at them. Its gotten to the point that even when I am working with the BoS, I shoot them down myself (and no-one ever gets mad at me!!!) just because I know its going to crash on my head if I don't do that. And also make a set number of them - how is it they can just keep sending these things everywhere just to blowup? It should be a VERY big deal even when they lose just one.

Thank you for working on stuff like this - if it wasn't for modders people wouldn't even play Bethesda games after the first month.

• 2 years later...