Can't use keyboard to select safe mode

I've known about this issue for a long time but never pursued fixing it before. So, if I hold down F8 when restarting or starting my computer, to go to the different boot options (I forget the term), it will bring up the option to start the computer in safe mode, as well as present other useful things to choose. However, whenever I get to that screen, the keyboard doesn't work and I can't use the arrow keys and I can't use the esc key. I think I might be able to use the enter key (I can't recall on that one), but I'd only be able to select whatever the selection is by default on that screen.

I've had this computer for two years and I think this problem has been there for two years. I've never had to really use that screen or safe mode before, so that is why I've never addressed this issue before. But I was thinking, I should solve this issue because I could very well need to use that screen at some point.

Anyone know if this problem is unheard of? I hope not. I'd like to know what I can do to correct the situation.