Water not refracted

Andyno

For some reason the water in some my interior cells is not refracted. The weird thing is that I got one cell with 3 waters, and one of the water actually IS refracted. Really don't know what's causing this bug... :wallbash:

I can't find anything related on the forums/internet, so I ask for help here. Any advice is appreciated...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH my mistake , thought I remembered you having a tester(s) helping with your half life mod.

I guess I was mixing you up with all the other guys making half life mods ... lol jking

Not that I am very well versed in dealing with water , but I could have a look at it.

Is it within the file I already have , which was up to the cell before Residue Processing , or is it new content ?

And what is the cell , general area & water type I would be looking at ?

I don't have any testers. Both you, and pixelhate, are the only ones who saw my mod in this development stage.

It's new, but also an very old content.

I sent you a PM with the file link, so you can see the whole issue by yourself...

Okies ... I just checked them in Geck , not game. But they all appear to be refracting to me ... some better than others , for various reasons ... just guessing though.

Obviously the toxic dump water refracts less because of opaqueness ...

But I also noticed a difference between the Oasis 1x1 & 1x2 ... which the 1x2 appears to be more opaque , and in the blackmesa 27 cell ... that one is the worst. Which I think is related to you having scaled it up by 10.

Also the round waters appeared to have a bit of an issue compared to the square ones , but may be related to the next issue I mention.

On the waters where you have a light object with some of it above and below the water surface ... could be causing issues.

Which all this makes me think is related to just running out of memory and some of the level of detail is getting cut out.

Especially with the lights.

But I'm not really sure , so hopefully somebody more experienced may have the answer.

If it refracts in your GECK, it means that there's some issue with my GECK.

I know about the lighting issues. It's not my fault - it's Gamebryo's fault, so it can't be fixed.

I was thinking about that memory too. For some reason I started GECK this morning, and guess what? The first cell I opened (BlackMesa27) was perfectly refracted. The second cell I opened was BlackMesa18, and there was everything bugged. Really strange. I start to think if this is not related to this patch I'm using... just a guess...

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/4GB_memory_patcher

BTW, I got another request for you. This time it's a script request, which is your strongest part I think... :wink:

Here's the thing:

Let's say there's a room filled with gas (TrapGasFire01). Its script says that the gas will ignite if the player will fire a weapon, but I cannot figure out what damage the player takes. Actually I need to kill the player, because the room is full of explosives. For example I could place a large explosion after some seconds after triggering the trap (FatManNukeExplosion).

If you got any ideas, I'm eager to hear that. :D

Hmmm not really sure how to make that happen without the "OnFire" block from NV.

But maybe looking at the activator named "Vault87GasTrapCell" and it's script may help ... Idk , I'll keep thinking it over.

On you saying you see no refraction in the geck ... do you mean from above the water or below ?

Because remember light reflecting off the surface does stop refraction ... real life , which they are trying to emulate.

Edited by Mktavish

I suppose OnFire is exclusive for NV... right?

In that script there's something mentioned about Fawkes and main quest. Also there's something about time delay, but don't know what exactly that mean...

I'm talking about from above the water. From below the water there's no way to see a refraction in any way as far as I know...

Sounds like you are mixing up refracting and reflecting . Refraction is what you see on the other side of the water surface , and how it skews its angles. Reflection is only from above , and is what bounces off the surface at an equal & opposite angle to the player view.

I guess you are right ... the geck doesn't show reflections ... so I'll have to look at it in game.

Ya that script doesn't appear to have any content to help you. Yes "OnFire" is exclusive to NV.

But maybe a script like this will work for you , placed on an area trigger covering the area filled with gas.

And you need to make a form list of all weapons that will spark the explosion.

This is just a theory script ... I didn't test it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

scn MyGasExplodeScript

Short iExplode

Short iWeapon

Begin OnTriggerEnter Player

Set iExplode to 1

End

Begin OnTriggerLeave Player

Set iExplode to 0

Set iWeapon to 0

End

Begin GameMode

If iExplode == 1 && Player.GetEquipped MyWeaponList == 1

Set iWeapon to 1

else

Set iWeapon to 0

endif

If iWeapon == 1 && IsControlPressed 4 == 1

Player.PlaceAtMe NukeExplosion ; what ever explosion here , but check the placeatme page.

endif

End

Edited by Mktavish