New file plugin ESL for Creation Kit (255 mod limit removed)

N7R

Can break out items to even a 1 item per mod this way, Much more pick'n'pay kinda thing.

Bad: "your mod broke my game and my 873 mods fixitnow. kthxbai"

Bad enough with 255, you know someone WILL go over 1000 just because they can.

I foresee competition of "who can load the most mods". :D

Like pra mentioned, this was probably directed at my post, and it does indeed put my mind at ease. I apologize for jumping to conclusions so quickly; I can't help it, I get paranoid whenever Bethesda does anything new with mods. I already don't trust most AAA developers, but I especially don't trust them when they're making significant changes to systems that I've been involved in for years now.

Anyway, no more doomsaying from me, unless they actually do try to implement some form of encryption later on down the line. Now that I've had time to think about it, though, I honestly think it's pretty unlikely. I mean, look at the DLCs - they're so lacking in encryption that they're basically Bethesda-developed mods. I don't think FOEdit even blocks you from modifying them directly like the base game master file, although I've never tried for obvious reasons. If they don't bother to encrypt those, I doubt they're worried about doing it for the thousands of files that will be available through the CC.

Edited by Tukster

Something I was thinking about early is that the Nexus needs to put something in to let us easily tell if a mod uses .esp or .esl files...

Won't make any difference on the user end.

Now, will NMM recognize them? No idea. LOOT? no idea.

Game isn't updated yet to use them apparently either.

Would be nice if Nexus does, but can always ask the MA as well.

(or manually DL, and check the archive)

• 2 weeks later...

• .esl files are treated as unique files from the .esp it was converted from, so saved games will not be compatible between them.
This fact is going to slow adoption a little. You can't just release an .esl version of an existing file - your users will need to uninstall the original version of the mod (if possible) and replace it with the .esl.

It may slow adoption on two platforms, *but*, this seems like a handy sidestep to Sony's disallowance of external assets. Curated content on a completely different format from the public mods, how exactly could Sony say no to this?

There's one difference: Creation Club mods are approved and tested by Bethesda so they will work on the game. There's another thing: These Creation Club mod assets, MIGHT be approved to be used as master so that it can be used in other mods as long as you own the creation club mod. Aka new assets coming from Creation Club. Maybe we'll even get paid assets packs to be used for modding on PS4 :'D

Edited by brianj64

• 3 months later...

Wow, the mod limit is basically removed? That's more than I ever hoped for.

So... firstly, is there any chance that this format or something like it will work for New Vegas as well? I'd long given up hope of a higher mod limit.

And, will turning my installed mods into esl screw up an already in-progress game? Some mods really upset the saved games when they're removed, and I wonder if this would also count as a removal?

,esl's are small! They have a 4000 record limit and they are designed to stack and work together in one of two slots. One slot seems to be for CC content and the other for us. (I could be wrong about this but it is how I understood it)

So the mod cap of 255 is hardly gone I'm sorry to say because many mods will not be able to be converted to .esl's