New file plugin ESL for Creation Kit (255 mod limit removed)

N7R

Has anyone tried this conversion process yet? Did it work out?

I have a Pip-boy skin mod that uses the .esl format and it works just fine, It's fully compatible with the CC skins.

Faction Pip-Boys I didn't release it on the nexus but I can, There were just already so may skin mods here and I did this as sort of a jab at Bethesda for selling one skin at a time. :devil:

Ah, looks nice! I'm at the mod limit now so I either have to merge more stuff or use esl. :wink:

If you have a bunch of small mods like single weapons or armors they should convert to .esl without any problems. They would stack then and help with your mod cap.

Edit: Just an Example Crude Blowback is a perfect candidate for .esl conversion. The process is fairly simple,

1. open the small mod in the Creation Kit,
  2. under the File menu go to Convert to .esl,
  3. You'll get some warning, click ok,
  4. the Ckit will re-number the form ID's and set the .esl flag
  5. It will then save a new copy MYMod.esl
  6. the .esp will still be there as your working file and backup

Done and Done.

I know squat about CBBE! I don't use it and think most of the mods that do are unattractive. That being said If say you had a weapon mod that you converted to .esl and then added a patch to change that weapon mod you would have to fix the patch to work with the .esl or it would still require the .esp. I can't say exactly how you would need to fix the patch but the .esl does renumber all form ID's in the mod that is converted so likely a lot of fixes.

• 10 months later...

The official news here on the update:

https://bethesda.net/en/devnote/6LlSK0LZrU4UOOmiwuYswK/fallout-4-creation-kit-update-support-for-new-file-format

The big takeaway is this:

.esl files bypass the 32-bit plugin ID limit (255).

So essentially the 255 plugin limit could be eliminated with this new format possibly if enough modders start to sue the format more

hm...i think Fallout 4 is 64bit game? or will you say game is 64bit and the engine 32bit?

• 4 months later...

Usually, when you install an esl mod with NMM, it doesn't appear in the load list immediately. You have to exit NMM and reopen it. It should then appear and you can activate it. Me and a lot of other people wish they would fix this.

Edited by Richwizard