Please Help! changed BA2 file to notepad file, and cant change it back

Blindboyboatclub

Hello, I hope someone can help me, Ive cant seem to find an answer on any of the forums.

so the problem is

I manually downloaded a mod (a reskin for Bos Combat armor)

as i was extracting the files to my desktop, i accidentally opened one of the files with notepad, now all the files have changed from the BA2 file, into a notepad file

I've re-dowloaded the mod, tried using different browsers, whats worse is now all the files rty and extract are no longer in their orgional state, but in notepad

the option 'open with...' dosent help because I have no option to turn it back into a BA2

pleas god say someone has run into this before

I'm such a tit, and advise would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance to anybody!!

For future reference: questions like this are better asked in the Fallout 4 Mod Troubleshooting subforum, not the general discussion one. :wink:

Sounds like you accidentally set Notepad as the default program to open .ba2 files with. If that's the case, Windows didn't actually change the file type, it just assigned .ba2 files the Notepad icon. The game itself should still be able to read the archives. Unless you absolutely need to extract the files for some reason (to modify the textures, or if you're trying to combine archives), you can just install the mod as normal.

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" and press "Enter" while holding the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys.

2. Click "Continue" in the confirmation window, or type the administrator password, if requested.

3.Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes" in the Registry Editor. Right-click the extension under "Classes," select "Delete" and click "Yes" in the confirmation window.

4. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExt." Right-click the extension under the "FileExt" folder in the left-hand pane, and select "Delete." Click "Yes" in the confirmation window.

5. Test that the association has been removed by double-clicking it from Windows Explorer. If it opens an associated program, then continue the procedure. If it asks you to choose a program, then the association has been removed.

6. Hold the "Ctrl" key and press "F" to search the Registry. Enter ".EXT", replacing "EXT" with the actual extension, and press "Enter." Right-click any folder from the right-hand pane that is named after that extension, and delete it. This step may be unnecessary, but some programs place additional entries in randomly named folders.

This is from Sevenforums. I recently had to do the same thing ^^

open it in note pad

click on file - Save as - on the save as type drop down box - click on all files, then leave the name of it, but add .ba2 to its name

it will then change back to ba2 file. this will work (but i dont know if the archive will still work)

Note: it will take a while to load, depending on the size of the archive.

Delete the .txt extension if applicable (bascially remove the .txt from the file name when you click on save as)

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...