How do I know a music has copyright? (For modding)

RadioactiveGat

If you have songs in mind you'd like to use, you should make a research for each of them to whether they're in public domain (no permission required) or under another license.

These sites offer usually actual music that can be used in certain condition. Always look for the license and permission type.

By default, everything is copyrighted = not possible to use without explicit permission.

If you have songs in mind you'd like to use, you should make a research for each of them to whether they're in public domain (no permission required) or under another license.

These sites offer usually actual music that can be used in certain condition. Always look for the license and permission type.

By default, everything is copyrighted = not possible to use without explicit permission.

Ahh, got it, thanks. Is there an easy way to find if a song is in public domain or something? And if u could give me an example, I'd be very grateful! Thanks again

Edited by RadioactiveGat

The easy way is based upon how old the song is: anything less than 70 years old is still in copyright, unless the author waived it or licensed under other terms such as "royalty free". Older than that might still be under copyright, depending upon actions taken to preserve it. (More than one author means it has a longer initial period for instance, and estates and corporations can renew copyright as "intellectual property".) The rules vary by country.

For your purposes nothing will replace finding and reading the licensing terms of the song in question. Making an assumption is a good way to get yourself sued. (And yes they will go after single individuals with no funds, because to not do so would risk losing their copyrights completely.) Even if you find a site which professes to host "royalty free" or "public domain" music, you have the responsibility to verify their claim is true.

But you might start with the "Public Domain Information Project".

-Dubious-

Wrong. That is called "distribution", and is a right reserved to the copyright holder. Please read up on copyright. Don't accept random advice on the internet as authoritative (not even mine). What you personally might be willing to risk, Nexus will not. Using copyright material in a mod without verifiable permission will get it taken down, and might get you banned from the site. See the Nexus "Terms of Service".

-Dubious-