Survival Mode Thoughts

Calzien

Besides, Skyrim has never supported removing mods without starting a new game. There were tools that helped to remedy the situation, but that is not how Skyrim was meant to be played...

This Survival mod is not a mod. It's more of a DLC. It should be easy to remove if you want to.

no , It shouldn't

you should always have a choice whether or not to actually play the DLC

but I can't think of any DLC in any game , where you can just remove it mid game , without any problems

in fact , I can't think of any DLC that ever discussed removal , since why would you want to remove content you bought for your game?

so yeah , you should be able to toggle it on or off , but you shouldn't really be able to remove it from your game

Besides, Skyrim has never supported removing mods without starting a new game. There were tools that helped to remedy the situation, but that is not how Skyrim was meant to be played...

This Survival mod is not a mod. It's more of a DLC. It should be easy to remove if you want to.

So, you think you can remove Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn and there will be no problems? Those DLC have systems and quests that are integrated into the main game. It's not just some new land that is completely isolated from Skyrim proper.

no , It shouldn't

you should always have a choice whether or not to actually play the DLC

but I can't think of any DLC in any game , where you can just remove it mid game , without any problems

in fact , I can't think of any DLC that ever discussed removal , since why would you want to remove content you bought for your game?

so yeah , you should be able to toggle it on or off , but you shouldn't really be able to remove it from your game

One thing is, that according to the ingame text, Survival Mode can be enabled/disabled at will in settings. However, removing the DLC itself.

EDIT: Also, in contrast to F4, Survival mode does not disable saving or console:-)

Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'm just going to avoid creation club stuff for now. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it seems like it's going to go the way of choosing creation club or mods, but not both, and then having to buy more stuff from cc, in order to fill out the game, like it was when modded. I hope I'm wrong, but I really do not want that headache.

You should download survival mode until it's free.

You can super easily disable it.

It's a normal plugin that simply ends with "L" instead of "P" or "M".

Edited by Project579

You can, there is an option in the menu screen that lets you turn it off with one press. It won't affect your game whatsoever if you enable or disable it mid-playthrough. But if you mean remove it as in uninstall then no, you can't but like DLC you can't do that either in any game unless you risk damaging your save file. DLCs like mods aren't meant to be removed from a game while playing, ever.

You can, there is an option in the menu screen that lets you turn it off with one press. It won't affect your game whatsoever if you enable or disable it mid-playthrough. But if you mean remove it as in uninstall then no, you can't but like DLC you can't do that either in any game unless you risk damaging your save file. DLCs like mods aren't meant to be removed from a game while playing, ever.

That I'm aware of. I'll be honest with you, I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote my last post. I guess I was just distracted or something and wasn't thinking. Looking at it now, I have no clue how I came to even type that out.

I've done a bit of poking around to see how Survival Mode is implemented. There's no need to panic.

The survival mode ESL file is getting loaded in slot FE (just before the save game file) but it behaves as if it was loaded just after the DLC files. Forms it adds can be detected using the GetFormFromFile() function in Papyrus and its changes to original game forms are overridden by other mods. In practical terms all of that together means it can be modded.

It's not compatible with the existing survival and armor mods because they are overwriting some of its changes, but that's really no different than any other mod conflict. In the short term you can have the ESL loaded into your game and as long as you don't enable its survival mode.

Adding a warmth rating to new armors will be easy and modders will need to experiment to find the best way to modify ESL content, but it is possible. So I'm sure various mods will be developed to override some of the default features while making use of the new things the Survival Mode provides.