Can you create a mox without creation kit: only using TES5Efit?

pragon977

The key different between the two is that CK can attach new script properties to objects, TES5Edit cannot. This is a major flaw with the latter, even though it's the better software so far as ease of use and stability are concerned. What you can do, however, is copy existing objects as a new entity and edit the script properties which are already present. However, TES5Edit is very slow at pulling the drop-down box for a list which includes pretty much everything in the game, while CK is capable of figuring out exactly what to do with every single script reference almost on its own. I almost exclusively use TES5Edit but whenever I need to deal with the Virtual Machine Adapter I tend to switch over to CK, do what I gotta do, save my file and then reload it in TES5Edit. It can be a bit of a battle sometimes, but they both have their upsides and downsides.

So yes, you can by all means use TES5Edit alone but unless you know what you're doing you're going to have problems with scripting. It really depends on how much work you're putting into a mod.

Edited by Kapteyn

The team creating TES5Edit (in all of its variations) say you should not be trying to use it to create mods without the CK. There are many things the CK does that TES5Edit can't do (working with scripts is one of them) and you shouldn't even think of creating a mod without starting in the CK. I think this idea of bypassing the CK is one of the main reason they haven't put more effort into providing better support for scripts.